just switched to coco and not going well

ratdog

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

look at the first post

It’s not there

Yes I know the difference between the two and am dealing differently with the LED grow 

They look just a bit over watered mate, that should straight up once pots are rooted a bit more.

Usually I keep ec of nutes around 1EC,total 1.7. Personally I think 1 5 is a lot but I never used that nutes so I'll stay quiet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

hello all, i've recently switched to coco in the hope of combatting my soft water issues, but i seemed to have fallen at the first hurdle lol

i potted up my deficient plants on saturday, they looked happy for about 24 hours then started sulking. i mixed nutes to 1.5 ec as according to the ionics bottle directions but think it may be too much? ph is 5.5-6 my ph pen is a bit crap tbh.

here's a pic from just now, a few are ok, but most are not happy. should i repot with fresh coco and feed at a lower ec? of flush

please help!

crispy leaves were from before, and this is near lights out

large.cocoissues.jpg.7144c5f9872f65b024592a4cfadd9236.jpg

3 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

I was literally typing those exact words lol

i would never have bothered with led's if i knew how much heating it took in the winter lol

• Like 4

Same, I was in a loft when I first got mine. Luckily I've moved and now I have a built in cupboard in the centre of the building with the boiler in a cupboard next to it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, latigid aikon said:

with the boiler in a cupboard next to it!

you lucky bastard lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

They look just a bit over watered mate

nah mate, i was very careful not to water much, and the pots are not heavy

Hey @ratdog :) 

Just to say that I found it to be a big change going from compost for so long to the coco.

Pots should always be watered to runoff,

this is how we make sure the feed and pH is correct by washing out some of the old liquid which becomes the runoff,

otherwise the feed might end up concentrating in the coco.

When potting up(particularly when still small),

give them a good drench to make sure the coco is at the correct pH and EC,

then allow a couple of days for roots to expand into the fresh media before repeating the process.

Make sure the pots can drain freely without re-absorbing the runoff.

Check the temperature of the feed,

there’s no point giving them cold water,

i make sure my feed is just over 20C.

Good luck with it :lucky:

Atb

☯️

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ratdog said:

it is with led's lol

I haven't dropped down to 12 degrees admittedly, but I've had air temps swinging from 29-19 for a whole  grow and plants were perfectly happy. My roots however sat at 24-5 the whole time. 

I'm sure people will disagree, but IME and to my knowledge, root temps are far more crucial to plant health, air temps play a part, but they have more of a effect on genetic expression than plant health. The only reason I started controlling air temps again was to control excessive stretch. 

So yeah focus on the roots buh :hippy:

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Ive gotten into the habit of filling up with the mixer tap on the shower, 24c every time.... And the kahzi is right next to the g.room which is nice lol

☯️

What boiler do you have? I've been told if it comes through a combi boiler (heats water on demand instead of old school tank system) it's not good to use, but I'd very much like someone to disprove that for convenience reasons. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I've been told if it comes through a combi boiler (heats water on demand instead of old school tank system)

I think even the tank systems can contaminate hot water, maybe due to sacrificial anodes or something? In my old house with a tank the hot water had a different (higher) EC than the cold mains tap water. (The EC was still different even after it cooled so it had something in it for sure)

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Really? Seems a bit cold that :scared:

:yinyang:

Had it colder here as long as the roots are kept warm for the most part but low air temps will affect em

• Like 2