crossing over to the coco side

RUFUS HOUND

managed to get a few photo uploaded from last few days 

plant 3 has a mutation and has patchy variegation going on - not effecting growth as yet but as some parts are lacking in "chlorophyll" I would imagine it will effect growth eventually.

large.TBLday12.jpg.46b1fa7bcd25fbdbc96b89df33c80f7d.jpglarge.patchyleafno3.jpg.1546845201f1832b5cbd374a8d579ff1.jpg

• Like 2

Variegated plants are very trendy in houseplant circles now days 😂

I'd back off with the misting, too much residue on the leaves can block the stomata. Once a week should be plenty imo

How much is the Epsoms affecting your EC? My water is very hard and I add 3.4g per 10L to correct my ratio from 52:1 to 3:1. It only increases my EC by 0.1, if yours is affecting it too much your amount might be off

• Thanks 1

cheers @BushDoctoR

Im using an epsom solution as @catweazle1 advised - 250g Epsom in 1L of water (i think? it was a few pages back) - calculated I need 2ml of this mix per litre of water to correct my 13:1 cal:mg ratio, and bring it back to around 3:1.but if you can work out how many grms  of Epsom I need to add to a litre, that would be helpful as Im not great on the maths. 

My water has about 40mg/L of calcium and 3mg/L magnesium, not especially hard but has next to no magnesium, so I end up with mg deficiency if non added.

CaCO3 Calcium Carbonate - 110.66 mg/l

Chloride - 11.07 mg/l

alkalinity (HCO3) - 60.03 mg/l

Ca  Calcium - 39.40 mg/l

Mg Magnesium - 2.96 mg/l

Sodium - 8.70 mg/l

Sulphate - 60.51 mg/l

to be fair, its only during the early seedling stage. I was trying to keep the EC under 1 and it has been a struggle adding feed, seaweed and Epsom - so I left the Epsom out of the mix, so I could maximize the seaweed and add Epsom by foliar spray 

• Like 1

40/3 = 13.33333 

13.3 - 3 = 10.3 

So 10.3mg/L 

Which is 0.0103g/L 

Epsom isn't pure magnesium though, but it would still be at tiny amount. 

E2A epsom/magnesium sulphate is 20% magnesium, so 

0.0103 x 5 = 0.0515g/L 

Probably why he told you to make a solution to use, makes it easier to add small amounts 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you adding 250g to a litre of water or are you adding X amount of water to 250g to bring it up to 1L total volume? That will make a huge difference to the final concentration, need that info to find out what your current giving them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Are you adding 250g to a litre of water or are you adding X amount of water to 250g to bring it up to 1L total volume? That will make a huge difference to the final concentration, need that info to find out what your current giving them. 

250g to a litre of water. My calcs assume a formula of MgSO4.6H20

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

How much does adding 250g of Epsom salts increase the volume of 1 litre of water by?

Atb

☯️

22 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

adding X amount of water to 250g to bring it up to 1L total volume?

I don't think that's how it works, if you dissolve Epsom salts in water I think the volume actually slightly reduces! I'm not a chemist so I'm sure someone will confirm or deny that with more detail than I know.

8 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

I don't think that's how it works, if you dissolve Epsom salts in water I think the volume actually slightly reduces! I'm not a chemist so I'm sure someone will confirm or deny that with more detail than I know.

That sounds completely nonsensical at first, but now you mention it the GCSEs are starting to surface.

E2A ye your right. Or at least a lot less wrong than me lol e2aa, nah your actually 100% correct. 

"Dissolution of solid in liquid:

When we add a solid substance to a liquid, the particles solid get into the spaces between the liquid particles.

So, since the solids occupy the spaces inside liquid atoms, the volume of the liquid doesn't increase."

Off Byjus.com 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

the volume of the liquid doesn't increase.

I read a bit more, if it's the heptahydrate version of Epsom (MgSo47H2O) it will remain the same volume but if it's plain MgSo4 it will reduce the volume I think? Presumably because it grabs some of the H2O when it dissolves?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

Presumably because it grabs some of the H2O when it dissolves?

Fuck knows mate, my brains melting lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Just made some up. Very little increase.

must be the seaweed then - assumed wrongly it was the epsom

cant remember for certain but Im sure I added the epsom to 1L of water, not  epsom topped up with water to 1L

Edited by RUFUS HOUND