Lil Daves Adventures in Dry Sift

lildaveham

Just now, Flamedodger said:

@ReviveI have a similar little press, I squash it put it in my pocket and keep tightening it up. When you take it out warm, it’s lovely and soft. A night in front of the tv rolling and folding is highly recommended, the hash comes out much darker and the smell on your fingers is devine.

I didn't want to squash all the trich heads tbh mate, i have made a few other bits that have been pressed more and yes its a lil darker when you manipulate it a bit more..  ill prob grate the puck when I use it so it should break up easier left this way :yep:

• Like 1

What’s the purpose of cleaning with iso every time? To unblock the mesh? Are they nylon? I used to have a set of stainless screens and I never washed them.

@Hole in the clouds

Yes it’s to keep them free of dirt and the polyester screens clean of anything that could block the holes. The manufacturer recommends to do this before and after use so the screens work optimally. 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@lildavehamdoes the iso not damage the finish on the frames?  Or are you diluting it?

Skunk sifter aye? I'll have a gander at them , always feels proper bait clearing out Morrisons of bagged ice in February lol

• Like 4

@BilgePump

ISO for the screen only and a lint free cloth.

Water for the frames just to ensure there is no left ones residue. 

It feels like overkill to do it twice every time you use them but for the sake of clean sift and longevity I don’t mind. 

:smokin:

• Like 4

I assumed as much, but you know what they say about assumption!

I'm a bit slap bash with isopropyl, it's my go to cleaning product for absolutely everything it doesn't fuck up (an ever expanding list that).

Those screens are pretty good value looking at them :skin_up:Not to mention they look beautiful.

They are well and truly on my radar/shopping list now as shaking sift in a bubble bag isn't very directionally accurate and it's no fun licking hash off flat surfaces :unsure:lol

• Like 3

@BilgePump

They are pricey but the quality and workmanship that’s gone into them for me makes it more palatable. Also if I do look after them with the cleaning routine they should last a very long time. 

If you do get some be sure to share your results in here. 

I am going to be pressing this soon and will document it here.

large.IMGP7883.jpg

I am going to be using my Pyrex rolling pin filled with boiling water. 

• Like 9

I recently took charge of a pyrex 'pin for a quid in the local charity warehouse, just need to get some silicone bungs in 45mm tapering to 35mm

As the end caps were perished, lab equipment bungs are like a quid fifty each on the bay of e's so that's great.

When I get round to grabbing some I'll absolutely whack the mess I invariably make up here man :yep:

• Like 4

Here we are folks.

I pressed the 75U Smile sift that i documented on page 2.

I used a cut out piece of roasting bag material to press the sift in and filled my pyrex rolling pin with boiling water. I also wore gloves as i find this easier than using a tea towel to stop getting burned. The dab tool pictured is used to get the sift out the jar and also to loosen the pressed sift from the roasting bag whilst pressing. 

Here is how it started .......

large.IMGP7941.jpglarge.IMGP7943.jpglarge.IMGP7944.jpglarge.IMGP7945.jpg

I applied pressure to the rolling pin whilst it was on top of the sift, slowly rocking it to squash the trichome heads and release the oils within. This is done for about 10-15 mins until the sift has become one solid mass ......

large.IMGP7946.jpglarge.IMGP7948.jpglarge.IMGP7949.jpglarge.IMGP7950.jpg

As you can see above i have opened the package and have folded the sides of the pressed hash in on itself and then i will re press. At this point the water in the rolling pin had cooled somewhat and was less effective so i boiled the kettle and refreshed the water. I continued to press the hash and at this point it became noticeably more "fluid" whilst pressing and flipping the package also turning the hash and pressing in different directions. Essentially what we are looking for is a homogenous lump of hash the same colour and consistency all the way through. 

large.IMGP7951.jpglarge.IMGP7952.jpglarge.IMGP7953.jpglarge.IMGP7954.jpg

This will now be put away for special occasions or a certain person if they visit. 

That's all folks. 

Hashish!!

• Like 17

@lildaveham that looks tidy mate :yep:

Any reason why you used part of a roasting bag over parchment paper bro? I pressed a bit from the 3rd run of the same batch, more contaminates in it than the first 2 runs due to the weed being broken up so much..did it in parchment with a makeshift rolling pin of sorts lol large kilner, hot water and a t towel then worked by hand for ages, still some tiny bits in it from the original pollen press..it was heated gently then worked, nearly got all the heads squished but it went very dark black after a period of time, still it looks pretty good for what it is but ill try again with a cleaner bit..I need 1 of those rolling pins buddy it's bloody hard collar without 1 :yep:large.20221220_150229_compress95.jpglarge.20221220_150304_compress63.jpglarge.20221220_150532_compress23.jpg

• Like 9

@Revive

Tasty looking hashish you have there !! 

The roasting bag has less potential to rip when you quickly pull apart the package. There has only been one time that I have had parchment rip on me whist pressing but once is enough lol 

The rolling pins can be found in the bay of e or gumtree sometimes and the rubber bungs I got from a home brew shop for 50p 

Both the rolling pin and the roasting bag ideas came from the legend Frenchie Canolli his youtoob videos are great for learning the nuances of hash pressing. 

Hashish!!

Edited by lildaveham
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, lildaveham said:

Both the rolling pin and the roasting bag ideas came from the legend Frenchie Canolli his youtoob videos are great for learning

I remember I used to watch loads of his videos way back when, funny someone dropped a link in a thread not long ago and I was back into another 1 for the next 20 mins the man certainly knew his stuff..

yes mate seen them on the bay those rolling pins as you say most had shot end corks but there was a few that was intact so need to go back for a gander..

Does the hash not stick to the roasting bag dude? I'll grab some at some point i think.

Still its all great fun :)

Be lucky :yinyang:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick query, if I may?

I got me dry sift from the trim, after manicuring my buds. I didn't try too hard as I will use the trim to make a cake too!

I rolled a hot glass jar over the dust after wrapping it in baking paper.  I got a lovely green brown slick which I rolled instantly into a beautiful 1g temple ball.

Then a couple of days later, I squished it to see how squishy it was. It wasn't squishy and it turned into a flaky mess heh heh.  I've tried re-rolling it with the hot Jar, but I can't reproduce the black hash look and smooth ball again.  So thanks for starting me on this adventure!

Is that a one time thing with dry sift or is there an easy way I can do it again?  I've reads people boiling it and all sorts, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to as I'm over at me mates house trying it tomorrow! :)

Sorry if I am being lazy and this has been covered, but it has been a really, really long week and I don't have the energy to figure the searches out - if you can help me out :)