Cobbing adventues

highgrower

About 24hrs into the sweat - have just accepted that it wants to sit at over 45c and have stopped trying to get it to 40.

large.sweat-24hrs-in.jpg

Cheese hack cob has produced a bit more water but not much, I think the added dried bud to the wetter stuff has absorbed any released water - @Hombre del Monte do you think i should take it out and wipe down and put back or ok just to leave another 24 hrs or so.

large.cheese-cob-condensation-24h.jpg

Very curious to to how they are now smelling and tempted to open and take a sniff but holding off until sometime tomorrow.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 6

I have pictures Galore! and will get round to posting some, perhaps tomorrow, though I find this resizing a pain in the arse. 

I'd be taking those out now and giving them a good drying, ready for the slow ferment. The idea of the initial sweat is to get the ferment stated, i.e. high temps and a lot of moisture. Once it is going, we want to slow it down and regulate it.

edit. Don't worry about the temp going up to 45c, I've done it at 60c in the past. By using higher temps the sweat will get going quicker

Edited by Hombre del Monte
  • Like 6

Yay step one complete - thanks @Hombre del Monte

Will get them opened and dried off with some kitchen towel - then straight back in to the bag and place somewhere at 30C

Or should I let them dry out a little bit more for an hour or so before revac?

• Like 4

Let them dry until the surface feels touch dry; it will take at least overnight...Then put them back in the bags and re vac....leave for a week, open bags and sniff, let it dry some more before re  vaccing and waiting another week. The smell will tell you instinctively when they're done 

double post
  • Like 6

The whole process is intuitive. When I first started Tangwena Sensei said to me to not get to hung up on stuff and just follow my nose and my instincts; of course he was right.

I'm still nicely high from the gram of Golden Tiger that I ate this morning but no longer flying like I was. Mrs DM is still wandering around the house saying how high she is! 

I think I'll break out the Vape and have a little GT cob.

• Like 5

Great thanks - have opened them up and put a side to dry out a bit.  The sweet tooth one feels pretty dry also as they are so thin and long so have a large surface area - I suspect they will dry pretty quickly so feel they may need to be bagged up again sooner than overnight - will see how they look when i go to bed.

large.cobs-after-sweat.jpg

Will weight them up again later and see how much they have lost

large.sweet-tooth-after-sweat.jpglarge.cheese-after--sweat.jpg

Kind of a tingle to the smell but nothing strong or ammonia like either.  The sweet tooth has a nice mild aroma to it, the cheese hack is getting a bit better smell to it but nothing like it smelt before rehydrating.  I really should have rolled the Cheese one tighter as it is broke in the middle so sort of fused it back together.

• Like 7

Looking good. How much weight have they lost? It doesn't matter that its broken, just whack back in a bag (when you deem it dry enough), remove the air and leave it at around 30-35c for a week or so before re opening (that's when the real smell will start to become apparent). If after a week or so your happy with the smell (your nose will tell you) then you can dry it some more before putting it away for some time to cure. If you can't do 30-35c don't worry, it'll work at room temp but take a bit longer, just sniff it and see. But there are no right or wrongs! 

• Like 4

Just now, Hombre del Monte said:

Looking good. How much weight have they lost? It doesn't matter that its broken, just whack back in a bag (when you deem it dry enough) and leave it at around 30-35 for a week or so before re opening (that's when the real smell will start to become apparent). If after a week or so your happy with the smell (your nose will tell you) then you can dry it some more before putting it away for some time to cure. But there are no right or wrongs! 

Cheese hack
Start: 29.3g
After Sweat: 27.6g
Loss: 1.7g or about 6%

Sweettooth (decent part of it was more dried)
Start: 43.1g
After Sweat: 41.2g
Loss: 1.9g or about 4%

Have a great spot for the next few weeks for it above my cfl which sits at about 32C

• Like 8

Cheese hack
Start: 29.3g
After dry: 26.3

Drying Loss: 3g or about 10%

Sweettooth
Start: 43.1g
After dry: 40.2g
Loss: 3.1g or about 7%

Putting in a dark bag and then into my veg space at about 30-35C - currently at 31C.

large.re-wrap.jpglarge.re-wrap-big.jpg

• Like 15

Just wanted to say this is a fascinating idea. Thank you for starting the thread.

Edited by Stig_Baasvik
Grammar
  • Like 5

Glad people are enjoying this as much as me.

Not much happening but here is a pic a few days into the ferment - doesnt look much different - they have a bit of give to them when you squeeze kind of like when you check a well pumped up bike tyre.

large_cobs.jpg

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 19

What temperature are you keeping them at? 

On a different note, I started off my seeds today for my 2022 outdoor grow;

Golden Tiger
Zacateca tribute
Tom Hill Haze x Zamal
Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian
Original Haze bred by Flower Power 

All good prime candidates for cobbing

• Like 6

On 4/11/2022 at 7:48 PM, highgrower said:

That amonia smell i think is pretty much what would happen to this if there was no vacuum seal - i think you missed out and not sampled enough brick weed to strike it lucky.

You could really strike lucky,I remember one to the day,stinked up the room like today's top shelf in its own way,tho just few buds in a K that were mature or compressed enough to cure and preserve the essence.Was 200 for kg brick at the time,wasn't even thinking about growing,could smoke it for a year

:skin_up:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hombre del Monte said:

What temperature are you keeping them at? 

On a different note, I started off my seeds today for my 2022 outdoor grow;

Golden Tiger
Zacateca tribute
Tom Hill Haze x Zamal
Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian
Original Haze bred by Flower Power 

All good prime candidates for cobbing

It floats between 28-35 - have flipped to 12/12 so when lights are on in the drobes it raises temps a lot.

Good luck with your next lot - from your descriptions of the smokes/eats I am going to try and do a few 100% sativas next run - thinking about Golden Tiger and Panama.

I have a "big" drobe - 60cm x <60cm and about 190cm high - i reckon with small pots to start until most of stretch done and then into 4-6 litre ones - i should be able to get away with 4 plants.  Been reading plenty of haze/sativa diaries to see how big they get.  Also in summer I think they may be able to cope with the higher temps I sometimes get.

e2a is it too cold/dark to leave the plants from last year and just take the buds and let the plants reveg so you end up with some trees as they do in some parts of africa.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 4

Far to cold to overwinter plants I'm afraid.

I assume that you'll be growing cuttings rather than straight from seed and flowering them as soo as they get their feet down. Both Panama and Golden Tiger I can vouch fo; Top drawer smokes!.

• Like 3