Cobbing adventues

highgrower

1 hour ago, highgrower said:

14hr into the sweat and they are turning a slightly golden and shrinking a little bit.

large.sweat-14hrs-in.jpg

There is a bit of condensation in the cheese hack cob - just going to leave it to finish sweating before drying off a bit before the fermentation

large.cheese-cob-condensation.jpg

They look perfect. You ca take them out whenever you wish once the sweat (fermentation) has started. Give them a good drying before sealing them up for the longer ferment.

To control the temperature I use a food dehydrator with a timer. Cost less than fifty quid from Amazon.

• Like 5

Thanks for popping in and checking nice to know all is going as expected.

The temp control like this is a pain and if all works out well I will be investing in a dehydrator or sous vide machine (takes up less space and could use for cooking).

Been thinking so much about this and having idea of what to do and try - I am about to flower a C99  - i should get somewhere between 250-300g from her if i were to dry and cure normally so should have plenty of raw material to work with and try some different variables to get some idea how each effects the cob. 

Like try sweating for different times and at different temps - i have some of her in jars at the moment and will put some aside so i have some 6+ month old properly cured normal bud to compare with as well.  Should give some idea to the direction of how i like my cobs cured and a better understanding how different variables effect it.

• Like 9

Just now, highgrower said:

Like try sweating for different times and at different temps - i have some of her in jars at the moment and will put some aside so i have some 6+ month old properly cured normal bud to compare with as well.  Should give some idea to the direction of how i like my cobs cured and a better understanding how different variables effect it.

A man after my own heart. I harvested 5 different sativas last season and did many different variables on them. 

• Like 5

Any comments as to how times/temps for sweat affect things yet or still waiting for them to mature?

• Like 1

Hi @highgrower, This years cobs are still very young and I the process of maturing; Saying that, that doesn't stop us from using them most days. Last year I only made a few from my harvest and a few from a friends, and I didn't intentionally play with the variables. 

Longer sweats and higher temperatures produce a darker cob that tends to be more trippy than the lighter ones. It is still very early days as regards their maturity so the jury is still out.

This morning I've take 1gram of golden Tiger cob and it's working nicely now. The effect is very cerebral, no body stone at all, not as racey as the New Caledonia. I feel very high but straight at the same time; more like I'm coming up on acid.

large.rsz_img_1134.jpg

Unfortunately the picture doesn't do it justice; It looks like a turd! In natural light it sparkles.

• Like 20

Lovely cob!

I have been looking at ace seeds site for the past few days as i think its time for me to do a 100% sativa.  I have fond memories of african weed when in south africa and namibia.

I suppose I have plenty of time to wait for the buds to be ready for the first step let alone the actual sampling - growing weed teaches you patience

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 4

Been growing many years but for the last 4 have been almost exclusively ace's gear. 

Mrs Del Monte she says "yes", but to the New Caledonia cob, she has things to do in the house and this gives her energy and euphoria.

large.rsz_img_1136.jpg

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Hombre del Monte said:

more like I'm coming up on acid.

which is, possibly, the best feeling in the world.....

• Like 6

Not sure what happened there. Strange colour change.

Try again

large.rsz_2rsz_1img_1136.jpg

This is my wife's favourite at the moment

• Like 11

Nice golden and lime colour to it - you can see how its all fused together - must be a hard to grind up.

Have you ever tried to rehydrate before skinning up to increase it volume - old trick i used to do with very compressed weed - get a kitchen paper towel and put it inside so its in like a little balloon - then hold that over a boiling kettle spout so steam passes through the paper towel - only for like 30-60 secs

Makes it fluff up nicely and after a few mins will dry and be smokable.

• Like 3

Maybe its the C99 or me procrastinating about looking for a job but have been reading on tobacco curing as there has to be a lot of cross over.

A few ideas from:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curing_of_tobacco look interesting

"Perique is special in its process of fermentation, as after it is air-cured, it is traditionally fermented in wooden under enormous pressure (via large weights or a hydraulic press) for several months to a year. "

Seems very similar to cobbing but with an air cure first - not sure i have that much nicely cured bud to do a test

Also i wonder what a smoked cure would be like?

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 5

Tobacco takes a good few years and the cure is where it's all at regarding the blends etc.   I'm watching this experiment here intently @highgrower and it looks like you've gotten off to a bloody good start too with the old colouring action getting on.

My mouth is watering in here too with all these cob pics put up lol 

Good luck with it all bud :yep: 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, highgrower said:

Nice golden and lime colour to it - you can see how its all fused together - must be a hard to grind up.

Have you ever tried to rehydrate before skinning up to increase it volume - old trick i used to do with very compressed weed - get a kitchen paper towel and put it inside so its in like a little balloon - then hold that over a boiling kettle spout so steam passes through the paper towel - only for like 30-60 secs

Makes it fluff up nicely and after a few mins will dry and be smokable.

It's rock hard and difficult to grind. I gave up spliffs at Christmas and bought myself a top of the range vape, so only vape or eat it. Last year though we were smoking some in spliffs mixed with tobacco; your rehydrating trick would have been useful then.

Here's a couple more I made earlier

A few Zamaldelicia colas, a few New Caledonia Colas and some Zamaldelicia cob cut up into smaller pieces ready for log term storage.

large.rsz_img_1005.jpg

• Like 15

That bit of lower bud looks exactly like something in new zealand once which had me buzzing and laughing all night after a mini jay and the next day could feel the tingle in my fingers on each heart beat.

Outside sun grown weed does out perform indoor for the high by far - have to get some ace seeds - im thinking about perhaps even for my next grow in the big drobe.

• Like 5