Cobbing adventues

highgrower

24 minutes ago, highgrower said:

I look forward to joining you for cob with coffee - only another 3 months until cooked.

The waiting's a bugger!, especially for eating it. You could smoke some now and you will certainly notice a difference in the high, But as you know, the real magic comes from eating it.

The Golden Tiger cob I ate this morning is still going strong and I still have no inclination to smoke or vape anything. The Golden Tiger cob is very psychedelic and it is still very young ie it was only made in December just gone.

Hopefully we can get a whole bunch of people cobbing and sharing knowledge on here in time.  

• Like 5

Just now, Hombre del Monte said:

Hopefully we can get a whole bunch of people cobbing and sharing knowledge on here in time.  

I've got this 98 silver haze s1 in the tent at the moment and she's taking a fair while/pretty NLD. Do you think she'd be a worthy candidate? 

large.20220425_165737_compress81.jpglarge.20220425_165948_compress5.jpg

• Like 13

She looks like she got a way to go yet, but definitely a candidate for the cob. Cobbing's made for brining out the best of well grown sativas

How many weeks she been going? I grow Silver Haze many many years ago and a cracking smoke it was

If you do decide to cob a couple of oz's or so, then do a diary or post in here; Be great to get a repository going.

• Like 2

Good news.

Oh yeah quite a way off still, she's "only" on day 74 or there abouts. I've switched to 11/13 now she has the tent to herself, should put a bit of wind in her sails. I'll definitely be on this thread when the time comes asking for some guidance, I'll have to get it right first time because I don't grow enough to waste anything. One thing I have been wondering is if there's a minimum size/weight for the process to work? Although she fills the tent quite well its only a 2x2x4 so there won't be heaps of bud off her. 

• Like 2

Providing you use a vacuum you can't go wrong, just different. I don't think that it really matters what amount you use as long as you get the ferment going. I tend to use weed that's been hanging up for 3-5 days, strip it down to just buds and the compress anywhere from 30-60g into my cobs. 

• Like 2

@MindSoup - It is a bit of a leap of faith taking some prime buddage and squishing together and vacuuming it up.

Checked again on my two - getting good use out of the vacuum machine at least - the sweettooth one is smelling stronger and sweeter so good things happening.  The cheese one seems not to have a sweet smell to it yet more just a spicyish one - i think they will need more ferment time than normal as the initial material was being cured and then rehydrated.

• Like 4

With the cheese one, I'd be tempted just to leave it somewhere warm ad forget about it for several weeks. 

• Like 3

Good idea - next time i pop them open i will have a little sample of the sweettooth and put the cheese in its own bag and hide it away for a while.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, highgrower said:

It is a bit of a leap of faith

It is indeed, but seeing your success so far is reassuring. 

@Hombre del Monte I'll see how much I end up with and go from there, I guess it weighs a lot more when its that fresh as well. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Having my first smoke of a bit of the sweet tooth cob - only a little jay.

The first smoke of the sweet tooth prior to cobbing was after a bubble gum joint so found it quite couch locky - other smokes since i would rate it as a daytime smoke and not too heavy so have been having a large joint of it whenever sampling and not having much of an issue getting though it - normal buds taste wise is ok just needs more of a cure.

I cut off enough for a mini jay earlier and roughly broke it up so it would dry quickly - looked very much like a bit of brown old school weed you used to get - smoke wise is more "rounded" than pre cobbing - i hesitate to say its stronger rather more noticeable - taste wise nothing special or stands out but smoother not quite like some of the descriptions of it being like thin air but a lot less of a bite than a normal smoke.

I think needs more of a ferment and then some time to cure as from my reading if the initial material is dry/rehydrated it can take longer.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 11

On 25/04/2022 at 6:57 PM, Hombre del Monte said:

With the cheese one, I'd be tempted just to leave it somewhere warm ad forget about it for several weeks. 

Ok @Hombre del Monte can you only cob with sativas plus when my weeds dry i put in them bags that you suck the air out of with a hover dont put in jars i need loads so would my weed go like that if i just letf it or not cause i am not sweating it sorry about many questions cheers

Good morning @Baron von greenback, to answer your questions; you can ferment any type of weed, sativa or indica, but the way fermentation effects the high it seems more suitable to sativas. I am aware of people who have done it with Indicas and hybrids but I don't know what they thought to the effect; I'm waiting for a chap on another forum who did some some months ago with a indica to  get back to me. When he does I'll post the info on here.

You say you put your weed, when it's dry, into a storage bag and that you the remove as much air as possible with a vacuum cleaner. I'm assuming that your weed is at that time "snap" dry ie when most people would put it into jars. By this time the weed will be too dry to ferment; We like to do it sooner, when it is still too wet to smoke. If you were to use the large bags that you do but put the weed in whilst still moist the you will be able to get it to sweat and to ferment; The problem is that you may well encounter mold, unless you can make a vacuum. I am aware that some people have done it like this successfully but it is risky. If you do decide to do it this way, suck as much air as you can out of the bag and make sure you compress the weed tightly to remove as much air as possible. wrap the weed up as tight as you can get it. Personally I wouldn't risk it these days. I did do it without a vacuum 20yrs or so ago and it was successful but when i then tried to do it with a larger amount it went mouldy! My advice would be, buy a vacuum machine for 25euros and do it safely. Best of luck

• Like 6

Ye mate its snap dry when i put it in when i do it i will get a vacum machine like you said not worth the risk i just about to start cropping again next couple of days so i might just do 1 bud in them bags just to see  what happens i put a couple of pics up i re read your thread again so i know exactly what to do plus i grew blackberry moonrocks future 1 blackjack jack herera and amnesia haze i think so i do one of these thanks mate not sure with the amnesia i put a pic up see what you think it is 

Edited by Baron von greenback
  • Like 1

@Baron von greenback, Amnesia haze would be a good plant to ferment. I would advise you to also read Tangwena's thread  Malawi Style Cob Curing  over on IC__g. As others have said, it's a leap of faith but I'm pretty sure that once you've tried it you'll love it. If your thinking of doing a cola, I'd suggest doing more than one. No need to trim the sugar leaves off, just take 3 or 4 colas and put them together in a bag and vacuum them up. 

large.IMG_0820JPG.jpg

On the left of the picture above you can see some Zamaldelicia that's been vacced up ready for the sweat.

large.IMG_1006JPG.jpg

New Caledonia colas take out to dry.

large.IMG_1031JPG.jpglarge.IMG_1030JPG.jpg

Zamaldelicia colas drying after the ferment. I don't normally dry in the sunlight, It's just for the photo. You can see on the close up photo that there are sparkly bits starting to develop; These will get more as time passes. 

Edited by Hombre del Monte
  • Like 15