Enter the Messiah! A Documented Miracle

Exhale

Oh Brother @McHazy remember my low wattage mantra? come and stand next to me if you can't see, make way for Brother @McHazy everyone!

@diyleduk has kindly loaned me an Apogee Quantum Flux meter so I can get an idea of the lay of the land in my space as far as light goes.

During Veg we only need 200-400 umols, during flowering we can increase this as the exposure to light is lessened.

I'd been having a few problems with light intensity, looking at this PAR map (see below) from my grow space I've been pushing them at the top end so they grew in their pots very quickly and became stressed due to consuming the potting mix nutrients between potting up.

Distance to light 24"

large.24inchPARmap.jpg

As you can see 135 watts is very little when you consider that is lighting an 80x80cm space, this allows 24 hour lighting in the Veg phase further driving the plants to grow.

At 250 watts this is where we begin flowering with the "OKAY" for flowering range 400-600 umols, we'll let the plants do their stretch thing and then gradually lower the light from 24" to around 14-18" and push the umols up to 600-800 range.

Distance to light 13"

large.13inchPARmap.jpg

We're going try added red this run in flower with the Vero 1750K COB and go with the orange configuration (CXM370 set to 230 watts and the Vero being driven at 17 watts). At 13" these numbers are pushing the plants so we'll go with a final distance of 14-18".

Flowering has started today

• Like 13

Brother @McHazy I'd have more even numbers hanging the light higher, I've some more measuring to do over the weekend if time permits so i'll try wrenching the light up to the top as far as it'll go and measure the wattages with a fixed height. :yep:

• Like 5

Good evening Brothers and Sisters, just a quick photo update as we're now on day 1 of flowering. The girls have just had their first dark period in 42 days and have started stretching, some slight light stress still remains but should reverse over the next few days. I've set the power to 250w, it's twitchy bum time now, we're 24" away from the canopy with another 24" of headspace to go, the tops wont fair well under 12" so I might have to get heavy handed with some of these and bend them to my will!

large.20200228_182744_copy_1612x1209.jpglarge.20200228_182034_copy_1612x1209.jpg  

• Like 14

Enjoying reading your diary mate, the info is great. Your plants look like they are going to enjoy the flowering stage. 

I'm considering a light upgrade soon and from the reading I have been doing the Luminous gen 4 cobs are very efficient lights. Shame diyled are out of stock. Looking forward to seeing these cobs giving you the finest of buddage.

atb shire 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shire said:

Shame diyled are out of stock.

Yes it is...I want one like @Exhale 's :ermm:

Great diary... great info... great growing.

ATB

PR

• Like 3

Thanks Brothers @shire and @Punta Roja!

The Luminus Gen 4 COBs are a decent introduction to growing under LED's although the the Scope range @diyleduk does is as good, although if you wanted to go down the COB route like myself I'd bet Adam could get some back in stock.

It's been over 2 weeks since the girls settled in their final pots even with the addition of the ecothrive charge I think I'll need to start feeding the stretch and encouraging flowering from the bottles soon so I'll start with 1ml BioBizz Bio-Grow and 1ml Bio-Bloom per litre on the next watering.

• Like 7

Cracking diary brother Exhale, all looking good in here. Loving the stats for the lights, very educational :)

Smashing it mate :yep:

• Like 2

Hello Brothers and Sisters, late night update from the Messiah, it's Day 7 of Flower and the girls have been busy setting themselves up for bloomage so much so the ecothrive charge bottomed out this week so I had to do a rescue drench of Fish Mix at 4ml per litre and have since upped the Bio Grow to 3ml per litre and as of today the Bio Bloom is now at 2ml per litre. I've had the girls out tonight and removed the first lot of lower growth and some of the leaves shading/crowding out the inside of the plants since going into the bloom phase, this also gave me a chance to get some single shots again to show you the structure that's settling in on the plants.

All of the plants have grown up to 6" this week, the San Fernando Lemon Kush has stretched the most so far I'm really surpised at how much these are going for it, in comparison the Sweet Amnesia Haze is complacent. I thought it would be the other way round. Let's start with a group shot in the chamber.

large.06032020FloDay7group.jpg

As you can see we're filling the space nicely even after defoliation, the Kushes all are on the tipping point for light intensity because of how much they stretch and they don't like anything closer than 18" with the light so these are being a bit of a pain in the foot for my space, all of the shorter plants are the Sweet Amnesia Haze and so far are making a likeable impression. Let's take a closer look.

Sweet Amnesia Haze #1

large.06032020FloDay7SAH1.jpg

Sweet Amnesia Haze #2

large.06032020FloDay7SAH2.jpg

Sweet Amnesia Haze #3

large.06032020FloDay7SAH3.jpg

Sweet Amnesia Haze #4

large.06032020FloDay7SAH4.jpg

San Fernando Lemon Kush #1

large.06032020FloDay7SFLK1.jpg

San Fernando Lemon Kush #2

large.06032020FloDay7SFLK2.jpg

San Fernando Lemon Kush #3

large.06032020FloDay7SFLK3.jpg

San Fernando Lemon Kush #4

large.06032020FloDay7SFLK4.jpg

San Fernando Lemon Kush #5

large.06032020FloDay7SFLK5.jpg 

So as you can see with my trimming I try to open up the inside of the plant and expose middle buds and leave the leaves around the outside of the plant and as much as I can lower around to catch as much light without impeding the buds. When everything is in the chamber together there is no light at the bottom so everything is being used by the plants.

After todays defoliation we should expect more growth over the stretch period and may or may not have to remove more, you can see after defoliation there is still a lot of shading under the canopy and the sides should fill out more considering we're only 1 week into bloom.

large.06032020FloDay7groupside.jpg

• Like 17

Great pictures, nice plants - lets hope they don't get much taller :v: Cutting the lower stuff should help reduce stretch associated with shading

• Like 3

Hey there Brother @delagdo I hate the stretchy lowers but sometimes you get a strong lower poke up and join the mids that produces a nice bud and every gram counts. :yep:

Brother @jadenugs sorry for the late reply! Thank you for looking in, I was very lucky to have the pleasure of borrowing a PAR meter, I think I'm probably going to end up buying my own meter at some point as due to the low wattage of LEDs it opens up a lot of projects and i'll need to be calibrating lots of nooks and crannies!

• Like 3

Nice update mate and your girls are looking great. Busy time for us all and I myself find it hard to keep up. I will be watching this one closely though to the end. Top work dude :yep:

• Like 1

I wouldn’t remove too many more leaves if I was you. You going need them to get through the rest of the grow. More leaves you remove less of a safety net you have when things go tits up. Looking at them, in future 2 weeks before flip it would have helped if been upping the grow nutes. Getting them much greener for the energy demands of stretch. Plus led can make them smash through the food quicker. If it was me, I’d be feeding every watering at moment but gently 2ml max. 4ml is a massive amount with that much plant material.  Softly softly. Re the San Fran - 

OG’s often are very stretchy , long limbed little side branching. 

On 28/02/2020 at 7:45 PM, Exhale said:

I might have to get heavy handed with some of these and bend them to my will!

What no free will? :unsure: 

For shaaaaaame lol

• Like 2