Plant Trimming

Owderb

If they are less than 3 weeks in flower do as you wish. I see no reason to cut them in half when you could remove it though. However, if you wish to then carry on.

Cheers :smokin:

@@hector 1804 Start to lollypop them this weekend, continue (if you wish) for up to a maximum of 21 days. I say this as the vast majority of plants are still stretching during that time so any "damage" will be minimal. Large fan leaves above the line of trim are the sugar factories for the plant. Rather than remove them I would tuck them behind the buds but "some" may be removed as and when.

As with all other aspects of growing the situation can vary from plant to plant and grow to grow but as a "general" rule go by the above.

Remember that flower feed is not needed straight away also. Feed veg food for the first week of flower and then reduce veg feed and start to give bloom.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I'll be flipping to 12/12 next week, then 2 weeks later I'll be doing this, first time so just after some re-assurance. The post has been a great help, but just for me to make sure I fully understand. I just simply take All the bits off the main branches? Can the bits I take off be used as clones?

I'll be flipping to 12/12 next week, then 2 weeks later I'll be doing this, first time so just after some re-assurance. The post has been a great help, but just for me to make sure I fully understand. I just simply take All the bits off the main branches? Can the bits I take off be used as clones?

@johnrees85, it's better to take clones before 12/12 to save re-vegging them, although it can be done in 12/12. As for what you cut away just get rid of anything that won't get any light that's shaded by the rest of the plant above. I think most will say the first two thirds up get cut off, I just cut away anything that hasn't made it to the canopy or anything that wouldn't make the canopy. Anything spindly and weak looking.

Eta: Don't go into it with a machete, but don't be afraid to cut either. Whatever you cut off should grow back on further up when they flower :yep:

Edited by Chester Copperpot

Just remove all branches you feel will never yield much but popcorn. It's normally between the bottom 1/3 - 1/2 of the plant for me.

You can take the whole branch or leave the first two leaf sets on each branch you cut.

Yes you can use them as cuttings.

RR

• Like 2

(deep breath) ...

OK guys, I've just started my 2nd week of 12/12. So far (touch wood) everything has gone to plan. However, I'm now faced with the question about trimming, and despite having read this thread forwards *and* backwards, I'm not sure ....

Here's where we are:

After 1 week of 12/12 -2

After 1 week of 12/12 -1

This is my first grow in years (and previous grows were always subs standard as the 'drobe was very small), and my strategy is to just grow one plant, so I know I can do it (back to basics, if you will). Once I know I can do that (I may do it once more, so I know it's repeatable) I'll look to scrogging, etc etc.
What's folks advice about this baby and trimming ? Next week (so into 3rd week of flowering) have a hack ? Or would I lose anything by leaving well alone ?

(deep breath) ...

OK guys, I've just started my 2nd week of 12/12. So far (touch wood) everything has gone to plan. However, I'm now faced with the question about trimming, and despite having read this thread forwards *and* backwards, I'm not sure ....

Here's where we are:

This is my first grow in years (and previous grows were always subs standard as the 'drobe was very small), and my strategy is to just grow one plant, so I know I can do it (back to basics, if you will). Once I know I can do that (I may do it once more, so I know it's repeatable) I'll look to scrogging, etc etc.
What's folks advice about this baby and trimming ? Next week (so into 3rd week of flowering) have a hack ? Or would I lose anything by leaving well alone ?

Oh well, after last night I took off this :

Trim waste

Leaving ...

After timming - 3

After timming - 2

After timming - 1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm growing a bunch of autos in my poly and a first timer.

I've missed the opportunity to trim before they flowered but is it still an idea to trim off the small lower buds and branches?