Plant Trimming

Owderb

Cheers, relieved to here that, worried I may have done too much.

2 x stardawg and 4 x blueberry, just finishing second week of flower. I vegged them an extra week as last time they didn't seem to get very tall and harvest was low. This is only 3rd grow, still very new just trying to keep learning.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, need some advice, had a personal problem so have neglected my girls, now find myself at week 3 of flower and haven't trimmed yet. Is it too late now? Will I stress them too much? Thought maybe I should just strip the leaves but not trim any branches? Any advice greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Hey nice thread Owd. Really shocked to see how much everyone is trimming back!

Some websites holding detailed info on strains such as flavour profile and branching and node distance etc. also suggest whether or not the plants respond well to pruning. What do you make of this? Are difference strains reacting differently to pruning / trimming  - some being more accepting of it and others feeling poorly because of it? 

• 4 weeks later...

Think I should prune mine next time round that popcorn bud is annoying snippin it up! I did lst to try keep them short but it went a bit to shit! Prune next time round lol 

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 4:11 PM, _Jamie_ said:

Think I should prune mine next time round that popcorn bud is annoying snippin it up! I did lst to try keep them short but it went a bit to shit! Prune next time round lol 

Pop corn and sugar leafs make awesome shatter / oils / butter

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Rookie117 said:

I'm 1 week into flower and will defoliate for a 2nd time later today

I used to do the same, then a mate of mine suggested that instead of trimming back at the start of flower, he waits until the stretch is finished, then tidies them up.  Theory being the plant uses energy to grow both out & up, whereas if you trim up early, it only uses that energy to grow up = more stretch.  I've tried this since, and it seems to work, just a thought.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, unity said:

I used to do the same, then a mate of mine suggested that instead of trimming back at the start of flower, he waits until the stretch is finished, then tidies them up.  Theory being the plant uses energy to grow both out & up, whereas if you trim up early, it only uses that energy to grow up = more stretch.  I've tried this since, and it seems to work, just a thought.

Aye from what I've read it's mibi best to let them finish stretching before stressing them with defoliation, food for thought mate 

It's a balance between not stressing them out too much and directing the energy to where you want it, the top part of the plant. Leaving all the lower crap increases your veg time because its energy could have gone to the upper nodes/branches filling your scrog or whatever setup you got

On 30/12/2012 at 4:38 PM, GoTgReEn said:

great example and pics! I also do this to some of my autos just not as aggressive in one sitting, normally over a week or 2 and get some fat tops! :guitar:

I also defoliate my autos from time to time, a lot of the myths surrounding autos are based on far less stable genetics from the past and while I don't dabble in aggressive HST with autos, I would more so consider trimming a few fan leaves as medium stress, just don't go to crazy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm at almost 3 weeks flower, is it too late to lollipop? I checked the girls today and they have had a huge growth spurt (in every direction). 

Also, when lollipopping it is removing branches from the main stem ? Thanks for help.

Guest anarchycamp

@Shaylocer Easy bud, did ours at day 21 as always. Photoperiod though,only ever defoliated autos not lollipopped

Our lass couldn't quite reach all the back though.

large.IMG_05032021_001751_(900_x_1080_pixel).jpg

large.IMG_17032021_201926_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg

Its not the best example but it's there:bong:

Edited by anarchycamp
Added 2nd pic