Plant Trimming

Owderb

Hey guys, I'm currently in week 5 flower. There's a few branches that ain't reaching the canopy and not getting much light. Also abit bush around the middle of the plants. They aint produced much bud at all so far. Is it ok to still remove leaves from these branches and areas?

At week 5 i wouldnt trim any more branches, as for the leaves just bend them out the way of the bud if poss.

all the best man

Smithy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

bollox its my first time growing indoors in a couple of years and I totally forgot about trimming till I seen this thread right now, which incidentally I remember reading and seeing Owd's example at the top of the thread and following it 2 years ago ! But didn't remember about it this time out ! Oh the memory of a stoner, it ain't so good :wallbash:

So I am on 12/12 since Feb 25th, this coming Monday will be 4 weeks in flower so I guess right now tonight I am 3.5 weeks on 12/12. There is a lot of spindly leaves at the bottom of the plant that aren't getting light. Am I too late to trim them now ? Will the plant recover ? I plan on flowering for 9 weeks (not 8) if that makes any difference ? Advice appreciated as if I'm going to trim I'd better hurry up and do it in the next 24hrs

Edited by RATM

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one Owd, thanks for the reassurance. Scissors are now at the ready for lights on :smoke:

lol oh its the way forward alrite my scissor fingers were aching sorting through the whispy ones

well looks like i found the right info at the right time !! ok im on day 7 of 12/12 im growing mostly regs with 1 fem , there mostly pure indicas with a couple of crosses in there but all indica dom , ive only identifyed 1 male so far and 4 fems out of 18 plants in my flower room , im wondering is it ok to trim now or will it mess up my plants as there still at the first stage of bloom or do i wait till atleast 2 weeks in , my room is crowded and it needs some trimming so all plants can geta decent amount of light , also when i pull more male plants ill have space but still need trimming , always thought id turn my plants hermie from trimming at the wrong time but i see here people saying anytime up till 3 week in . thanks for any help you can give !

Not sure but do be careful ,last lot i did i trimmed back as theses are quite dense and bushy and the yield was crap ,this time i haven't trimmed and the yield was loads better but i have also found lots of the buds not properly ripe as they were too shaded .I suppose it takes a while to find a happy medium .

• Like 1

Any photos ?

I pruned hard this time and have hardly any airbud - but maybe 7 ounces of top quality colas from just one plant. :)

(LST'd early, vegged for over 11 weeks, 10 colas.)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is an awesome post,as has been said most people would be scared shitless to do this,me included,but seeing pics and it coming from a grower like Owd it must help loads of peeps,I know it can be done in quite a big window of time but is there an optimum time to do it,or does it not matter.

Will defo be doing this,Tnx Owd :notworthy:

• 3 weeks later...

I usually trim all the lower branches and leaves from my plants, but this time I only cut off the unwanted branches and left the leaves on.

gallery_46350_6702_322459.jpg

I usually find that the top inch or so of compost has no roots, probably because there's too much light falling on the compost. In the above photo you can clearly see roots poking through the top of the compost so I reckon leaving the extra leaves on to shade the compost has allowed the roots to grow through all the compost. No more wasting that top two inches of compost! And as we all know, more roots = more bud (all else being equal!)

gallery_46350_6702_202178.jpg

This is the bottom of my Black Sugar from Female Seeds at week 1 of 12/12.

Edited by NattyFido2

hi guys...quick question.... does anyone cut off the large fan leaves that are below branches that have already reached the canopy, in order to stop that particular branch from growing further? (also allowing more light to get to the surrounding budding sites that the fan leaf is covering)

Edited by MuzzyDave

hi guys...quick question.... does anyone cut off the large fan leaves that are below branches that have already reached the canopy, in order to stop that particular branch from growing further?

Taking a fan leaf off won't stop branches growing mate

Owd

• Like 1

Just trimmed mine today. Start of week 3 flower. Going to trim abit more tomorrow slightly higher

med_gallery_67331_4198_27838.jpg

med_gallery_67331_4198_45396.jpg

med_gallery_67331_4198_46569.jpg

med_gallery_67331_4198_65463.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

is this worth doing if you grow outdoors and not restricted on growing space?

It will remove the popcorn airbuds from the lower of the plant and allow for more air to circumvent it.

Cheers :smokin: