Plant Trimming

Owderb

is this worth doing if you grow outdoors and not restricted on growing space?

It is but no need to go as far as you would with an indoor grown plant, no lumen drop from top to bottom with the sun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would trimming fan leaves out the canopy be a good idea. i ask this as my current lot have an abundance, and the Hydrotops Growing guide recommends doing this if using their microbial trio of products as they can get leafy when using them?

Seems i could create a bit more penetration into the lower canopy by forming leading shoots by having a trim. This goes against what i think i should do, but as the light does go through the leaves a little and my canopy is only 9" thick at 21 days I'm not sure... thanks for any thoughts on this.

21 days

1001   Dinafem   21 Days Up   Tent A

1002   Dinafem   21 Days Up   Tent A

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 1

I think that light picked up by any leaf will translate into growth, it has to right? So anything that isn't getting light may as well go. But then there's stored energy in leaves which have once received light but are not any longer, what happens to them? If you were to cut them off do you replace them missing leaves with feeding well to the rest of the plant? I don't know, but you can trim back a bushy plant more than a skinny one for obvious reasons.

Edited by greatwhiteshark

I've trimmed from below like this.

1001   SIckmeds   Trimmed Under Canopy (done early At Day 8)

it just seems a bit dense in there and very leafy up top. The fact i've supercropped like a mad man as made the canopy too squat really, as said its not a deep canopy (so penetration is probably fine and i'm worrying too much).

heres one out the tent, looks ok to be fair at around 2 weeks here, just seems theres loads of much larger leaves than i'm used to at the top of the plants and not much form after training.

1001   SickMeds 4 ways   Magic Berry #6

1003   SickMeds 4 ways   Magic Berry #6

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 2

Cheers L'

Gonna have another look from below to see if theres anything else that can go, will leave them be up top.

Reason I'm concerned is they are tightly packed and not enough light really. :yinyang:

• 4 months later...
Zulu Warrior @ day 22. A little bit more to come from the middle over the next day or 2.

26JanZuluWarrior4

26JanZuluWarrior3

Cheers :smokin:
Edited by Hiphip
  • Like 1

Always remember, when looking at a fan leaf with an eye to removing it, that leaves don't just photo-synthesise. They also transpire and guttate, regulating the plant's internal environment. The plant will drop any useless leaves on it's own, so unless you're trimming down below to ensure air-flow or removing diseseased or yellow leaves, it's usually best to leave them alone.

• Like 4

On my last grow i think a lot of the good fan leaf did shadow some of my bud sites on the scrog net...so on my curent grow i remove some of the bigger leaf at the too of the net to try abd max the exposure to light as much as possible...time will tell

I've just trimmed up my current autos I was quite brutal this time they have ended up ni on 3ft, been caught out on last 2 previous grows so this time I've removed a couple of scraggly branches all lower budsites and fan leaves at bottom only, I'm only using a 400w and they have stretched 3ft and light will probably not get that far down. There looking pretty good this morning so I think it's been beneficial they can breath now.

Alrigh guys. Is it 2 to 3 wks after flipping lights? Some people class first 2 wks after flip as veg still.

Hi Gaz, I think you mean "The Stretch" geez. For the first couple of weeks,( exactly how long depends on the strain, feed, light spectrum etc.) the plants will carry on getting taller, or rather the inter-nodal spacing, the gap between sets of leaves, will get larger. As the flower clusters at each node get bigger, the plant will stop stretching, putting all its energy into producing buds, and start filling in the gaps.

Strain reports and grow diaries will give you an idea how long the strain you're doing will stretch for, and also how much they will stretch. Some barely increase in height at all, usually the indicas don't stretch much, but some can double in height so find out! This can be vital if you're planning on scrogging, or have other factors limiting head-room.

Hope this helps. Happy growing. :)

• Like 2

I've found the smotties have much bushier tops than other srains I've done, always strip the bottom third but noticed with these that they shed canopy leaves from the denser parts themselves. Only one or two each time I check, there were 15 plants in a metre square at one point tho so no wonder!