Cloning - 10 Easy Steps to Successful Cuttings

Budelaire

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

i used some clear party cups with domes on and it is a perfect success! 100% strike rate in 2-3 weeks under a t5 and on a heat mat set at 26oC. and you can see as soon as any roots are present if like me you get inpatient and keep tipping the compost out to look :wassnnme:

large.5e931ebe8f0b2_cloningcups.jpglarge.5e931ec0332bd_cloningcup.jpg

Where did you get them cups and lids from @ratdog ?

They seem perfect for what your using them for 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Rufus Brown said:

Where did you get them cups and lids from @ratdog ?

They seem perfect for what your using them for 

on the bay mate, party cups and dome lids taped up 10 for about 3.50 iirc, i will be using this method forever now!

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Rufus Brown said:

Will be getting some myself now.

Cheers for the heads up @ratdog

no worries mate, i wish i had thought of it years ago!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, stummer said:

I am proper hoping my cuts root, Just need 1 of each plant so I can decide on a keeper. Feel pretty confident as surely this time of year its got to be easier because of the good weather? Been just over a week and no signs of roots yet. Have only looked once just to make sure the cubes wasn't dried out. Is some moisture on the inside of the dome so guess the humidity it up and none of the cubes was dry. Best mate has had it take 3 weeks for cuts to root before. I have had it as fast as a week but not done it often so just want them to take.  Not gonna look at them again until sunday and see if any signs. 

they’ll root if temps are ok. Too hot they’ll go yellow + die I found recently. Not liking over 23C. You’ll get near 100% after 2-3 weeks with this method easily

2 hours ago, Herbi said:

they’ll root if temps are ok. Too hot they’ll go yellow + die I found recently. Not liking over 23C. You’ll get near 100% after 2-3 weeks with this method easily

Cheers, all mine are looking alright thankfully. In the same tent I've had some seeds pop up. They aren't in the dome but same small tent. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Herbi said:

Not liking over 23C

i got a 100% hit rate at 26C, some in less than two weeks, the rest by about week 3, heat mat direct on the roots is key (26c at the roots, and low wattage lighting)

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

Happy to say can see one cube has loads of lovely roots sticking out. They'll be 2 weeks Monday. As one has taken I am hoping that's a sign the environment is alright and others will root. Rooted clones before like I say but that was time ago. Be nice to see this lot all take so feel more confident about taking some foot loose cuttings next.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, icki said:

I did a side by side with untrimmed leaves and trimmed.The trimmed easily 4 to 5days earlier.

Icki, do you keep them in 100% humidity or just prop? 

Guest icki

@Oldbear.In a prop mate.Ive done all sorts over the years.The pots of soil/coco in a bag work well.

I like @ratdog party cups though ill be using them next.Easy to move/check if need be.

@ratdog loving the party cup props, will come in handy in the future for doing a couple of cuts :yep:.

For what it's worth this is how I do my cuts and normally get 100% strike rate in 10-14 days. I take all potential cuts off my mother and put them in a glass of tap water, I've found the best success comes if I make my 45 cut just below a node from here I trim all big fan leaves in half dip into clonex then into eazyplugs spray the prop lid not the cuts as this can cause mold. After cover the prop with a lightweight white sheet to diffuse the light that gradually gets removed after 7 days ( this I have found is the biggest factor in my success ). 

Doing this method I have took cuts off a mates plant wrapped the stems in damp kitchen roll, put them in his fridge in a sandwich bag, had a 4-5 hour session, went home put them in a glass of water in the fridge for 6 weeks and still had 100% strike rate. 

I normally root mine under a 250 mh or 315cmh but have done this under a 600 before.

• Like 4

Got 3 of mine rooted so hoping it means the others will. Only need 1 of each plant to root so can decide what will be kept. If some have rooted the rest should do in the end init? Must mean the environment's alright. Fingers crossed.

I will be having a go at taking my 1st ever cuttings this year with a Sweet Seeds Cream Caramel.    I will be using the method from this thread and will get pics up.

Today was the 1st day i topped a plant,  not bad going after 10yrs of outdoor growing lol      God know if i done it correctly, we shall see in time :)      

Taking cuttings for cloning should be fun will my green thumb abilities,  can build a race engine blindfolded ....... yet afraid of taking a scalpel to cut & pinching out a plant   

• Like 2

I tried this method put 5 cuttings of kosher tangie covered them will the plastic bag and all 5 have rooted in 2 weeks and a bit. Your method is the best.  I've never had 100% success rate thanks man 

• Like 2