Cloning - 10 Easy Steps to Successful Cuttings

Budelaire

First time seeing this guide. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice and concise with the comic themed layout. 

Are the jiffy pellets pre-wetted the night before or are they wetted immediately before cloning? That was the only thing I wasn't quite sure about. Other than that, it all made perfect sense.

You can hydrate Jiffy pellets immediately before you need to use them.

Just be sure not to drown them lol

Atb

☯️

Thanks for the swift response @Shumroom. Would it be a matter of simply dunking them in a premade mixture and letting any excess water pour off of them before they're read to go?

No :)lol (I’m not laughing at you, I’m just stoned) lol 

I usually make up my mixture that I’m going to use,

I give them some Mycorrhizae and Trichoderma at this point along with some root stimulant,

but they’re not absolutely necessary.

Then using a pipette(a 5ml one) just the ones you get from grow shops,

I’ll go around my pellets giving them each 5 to 10ml of the mixture at a time.

You’ll see them expand as they absorb the mixture.

Sometimes I’ll put the pellets in a saucer and pour some of the mixture straight in to the saucer to quicken up the process,

but that’s because I’ve got a rough idea how much liquid they’ll require.

If you do find that you’ve overdone it and they’re totally dripping wet,

the best thing to do is to give them a swing into the sink to get rid of the excess,

don’t squeeze them as you’ll squeeze all the air out of them :) 

Then I use a kebab skewer to open up enough of a hole to drop a seed into and then use it again to scrape back some material over the seed to keep it cosy  👍

Atb

☯️

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Budelaire @The Villan

I see you both don't use direct sunlight,  any reason? Is there where I'm going wrong,  I have a 2 tube T5 over the top 24/7 from day 0. Does the darkness root them quicker? Normally have had good results this way but recently they've been taking ages and annoying me with low success rates.

• Like 1

Those t5 fluorescent lamps wear out and need changing once a year really. Clones do like it on the dark side though.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, inceywinceyspider said:

Those t5 fluorescent lamps wear out and need changing once a year really. Clones do like it on the dark side though.

My T5s are as old as me lol

Got my attis 300w I can use on 25%, may pop to the shop and get some single led prop strips.

for now ill put the attis over the rooted ones and stick the new cuts over to the side where it's out the light

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

My T5s are as old as me lol

I was going to replace mine with LED tubes but threw mine out in the end as they looked shit, otherwise had ten years service on their back with the initial bulbs... bargains.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sweettooth said:

@Budelaire @The Villan

I see you both don't use direct sunlight,  any reason? Is there where I'm going wrong,  I have a 2 tube T5 over the top 24/7 from day 0. Does the darkness root them quicker? Normally have had good results this way but recently they've been taking ages and annoying me with low success rates.

If you read how some folks use the wet paper method to germinate their seeds you will notice that they usually keep them in a dark warm place until they sprout. I used to do this method myself but theres always a chance of damaging the young taproot when removing from the paper etc.  The seeds do not require light until they have some greenery exposed above the surface to use the light. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Nope @sweettooth as far as I know, clones will need light from day one. They need to photosynthensis to make the roots. (please correct me if I am wrong anyone) The last few lots of clones I have done I have used the Owderb method in plastic bags and stuck out of the way in the veg room. not necessarily directly under the lights either. Just stick them in the corner of the room, and dont touch them for at least a week to ten days.

@The Villan yeah what I was thinking, it was the chat about seedlings that threw this cloning thread off. cheers, I'll stick to my usual routine but maybe not with the light right on top but give them 20/4 light

• Like 1

I should be taking some cuts for the second time ever this week, Wish me luck in finding a keeper 🤞

• Like 1