Serpents guide to growing autos in soil

Serpent

Not only did I find it of use but I'll try and keep a diary when I start off my autos.

I've just ordered 10 cream caramel and I'm debating how many to do under my 600 in my 1.2M tent, how many would you do?

Not only did I find it of use but I'll try and keep a diary when I start off my autos.

I've just ordered 10 cream caramel and I'm debating how many to do under my 600 in my 1.2M tent, how many would you do?

I don't know if this will help you.But when i do my auto grow,I will be following this guide and i'll be growing 9 auto's in a 6 1/2l pots in a 90x90 tent under a 400w.:)

Only ever used my DR60, but it's twice the size, so I'd probably germ all 10, that way, if there are 1 or 2 none starters, you'll still have a good number and if they all crack, it'll be a jungle of autos in ya tent :D

Good luck :hippy:

Hey Serpent, I have a question about Autos and as this is your guide to growing them where better a place to ask :wassnnme:

Anyway I'm growing one for the first time as it was a freebie but I have very limited headspace (1 metre including pot and euro barn type shade under 250MH) so I wondered what would be the best method to use ie: Top, Fim, L.S.T, Supercrop etc.

Ive no idea how it will respond to topping with it not vegging for very long, heres a pic of her now...

gallery_69331_3997_2408.jpg

Cheers :yep:

CK

Hey mate, don't top autos, never tried it, but what I've read and the way the plants grow, it wouldn't respond well, as for LST and supercropping, they should be fine, I've had to supercrop autos in the past as I was running out of head room, and they've all repsonded to it well, but I'd try and let them grow naturally, only resort to LST and/or supercropping if height is going to be an issue.

Hope that helps :hippy:

Thanks Serpent, I'm deffo gonna struggle with height but its either that or I put her in my flower room with the other photos on 12/12 so I can see some bondage being done :rofl:

Think I'll just keep tying it down that should be ok :unsure:

I guess it depends how many plants you want to fit in, I always finish in 6.5 ltr but that's only because 4-5 plants is a nice fit, if I had more room, I would probably consider using larger pots, that said between 6.5 ltr - 7 ltr I noticed little difference in yield, in theory though 11 ltr should yield more, maybe have a look at some diaries of folk who've used 1.2m tents and see how many plants they were growing

A 1.2x1.2m tent will have 4 times as much floor space as a 0.6x0.6m.

If you grow 4 plants in a 2x2 arrangement in a DR60 you should be able to fit 16 in a 4x4 arrangement in a DR120.

But with the extra height available from the 2m high DR120, personally i think 9 plants in 6.5l pots, grown taller, in a 3x3 arrangement is best.

But 16 plants is definitely not uncommon for that size :guitar:

Great guide and as it happens I'm starting a Cream Caramel Auto grow just now. I have 15 seeds, they are going into a DR120, eventually under a 600w with the big Grostar shade, seeds arrived today so I'm warming the room up just now, I'm just about to put the compost in a let it sit overnight to get to a roon temp 20+. I'm just popping the seeds straight into the compo.

Nice thread, Serpent - very informative.

:yep:

Just a quick tip for anyone starting them off in large pots. Serpent mentioned putting them in pre-wetted soil, but didn't stress it particularly. This is very important in large pots, because if you plant them into dry compost and then add water, the seeds can get washed all over the place. We found this out the hard way, when several seeds got washed right into the corners of their pots, and the seedlings had to be carefully teased out of the corner and back into the middle. :doh: One didn't come up at all, so after a week or so we gave up on it and poured the compost out of the pot to reuse it. A day later the missing seed popped it's head up, and grew quite happily as if nothing had happened! It had somehow got itself buried way too deep when we watered.

I dare say if we had watered more slowly and carefully, using a fine rose etc, it wouldn't have happened, but it's much easier just to soak the compost before you plant.

lol

Been there, got the T!

My tip: To pre-soak compost I fill my pot with dry compost and then stand it in a dish of water and let it soak it up from the bottom. I normally do this over a 24 hour period to allow everything to reach room temps too. Then just a quick (fine) spray of the surface and there you go, a lovely, moist tilth. Perfect for seeds and cuts ;)

Good tip. What is the ideal room temp?