Serpents guide to growing autos in soil

Serpent

Hey Serp, quality guide you got here.

Just thought I'd add my two-peneth, as I recently grew 2 Little Angel Auto's from Goldenseeds (freebies....YAY!!!!)

I popped my seeds in Root Riot cubes in an aero-propagator (no nutes needed, just water in the res), and after about 10 days I think it was, I transferred the cubes into a 6L pot full of just Fytocell. Then, I used the Lucas formula (using GHE nutes I used 14ml Micro and 26ml Bloom to 10L water) to feed about 1L every other day, getting about .5L run off each time.

I ended up getting just over 5oz from the 2 girls. However, they were under 600W HPS, so abit more light than the 250W CFL you use. But these were in my loft, so heat/extraction issues were non-existant.

Just thought I'd let the guys out there know that even if you dont use that dirty soil stuff, you can still get quality results from the Auto's available today. :yahoo:

On a side note, has anyone tried the Mazar Auto's available from the Dutch Passion seed bank? Apparently you can get up to 5oz from one plant!!! Cram 16 of those into an Amazon, could get anything up to 80oz in one harvest. Imagine trimming that!! :wallbash:

Once again, excellent guide Serp

Ah at last, some decent info on auto's :yahoo: Im planning to do 9 cream caramel fem auto's under 400w mh and the switch to 600w hps after 2/3 weeks or should i just put them straight under the hps?

What about fertilizer?

I have just started my first grow. Day 5 at the moment, but havent used any fertilizer like Guano. I just have my soil and water at the moment. Is ferts something that I need to think about?

The soils im using are:

BioCanna Bio Terra Plus

Canna Terra Professional

Edited by fearofsailing

WOW Serpent, Such a super guide and very well put together and very easy to understand TY.

I do have a few overall questions that i'm hoping you're able to help me with as you seem to have turned my head towards autos (and even more so after reading "sweet seeds" diary too.

1. I already have a 400w dual spectrum coolshade, where as you use HPS, will this cause me any issues??

2. Re Seedling start, I don't have the 3cfl set up, is there an alternative or could I use my current light set up??

3. What is your watering schedule please?? as with Autos it seems to be more often when it gets to flowering??

Thanks and hope i'm not asking too much

Hey Serp, quality guide you got here.

Just thought I'd add my two-peneth, as I recently grew 2 Little Angel Auto's from Goldenseeds (freebies....YAY!!!!)

I popped my seeds in Root Riot cubes in an aero-propagator (no nutes needed, just water in the res), and after about 10 days I think it was, I transferred the cubes into a 6L pot full of just Fytocell. Then, I used the Lucas formula (using GHE nutes I used 14ml Micro and 26ml Bloom to 10L water) to feed about 1L every other day, getting about .5L run off each time.

I ended up getting just over 5oz from the 2 girls. However, they were under 600W HPS, so abit more light than the 250W CFL you use. But these were in my loft, so heat/extraction issues were non-existant.

Just thought I'd let the guys out there know that even if you dont use that dirty soil stuff, you can still get quality results from the Auto's available today. :yahoo:

On a side note, has anyone tried the Mazar Auto's available from the Dutch Passion seed bank? Apparently you can get up to 5oz from one plant!!! Cram 16 of those into an Amazon, could get anything up to 80oz in one harvest. Imagine trimming that!! :wallbash:

Once again, excellent guide Serp

Cheers warwick, 5oz off a couple of plants is a decent haul as well!

Yeah read about the claimed yield on the Mazar, I'm doubtful myself, the Blueberry from them I've just grown was a lovely looking plant, some real nice purple hues, but there wasn't a lot of weight to the buds, reckon I'll only get about 2 - 2 1/2 oz off 2 plants if I'm lucky.

Ah at last, some decent info on auto's :yahoo: Im planning to do 9 cream caramel fem auto's under 400w mh and the switch to 600w hps after 2/3 weeks or should i just put them straight under the hps?

Glad it was of help Misty, I just use my dual spectrum so can't say for certain, but I can't see it harming them putting them under an MH for the 1st few weeks, then switch to HPS around the 3-4 week mark, it'll probably keep them really squat as well.

What about fertilizer?

I have just started my first grow. Day 5 at the moment, but havent used any fertilizer like Guano. I just have my soil and water at the moment. Is ferts something that I need to think about?

The soils im using are:

BioCanna Bio Terra Plus

Canna Terra Professional

Hey fear, no, I wouldn't be thinking about nutes just yet, not familiar with your growing medium, but I'd guess it's got enough feed in the soil for about 2 weeks, are they in final pots or are you planning on potting up?

Very nice guide Serpent, lots of great information to growing autos my friend.

Thanks lucifer :guitar:

WOW Serpent, Such a super guide and very well put together and very easy to understand TY.

I do have a few overall questions that i'm hoping you're able to help me with as you seem to have turned my head towards autos (and even more so after reading "sweet seeds" diary too.

1. I already have a 400w dual spectrum coolshade, where as you use HPS, will this cause me any issues??

2. Re Seedling start, I don't have the 3cfl set up, is there an alternative or could I use my current light set up??

3. What is your watering schedule please?? as with Autos it seems to be more often when it gets to flowering??

Thanks and hope i'm not asking too much

Cheers Astro, as for your questions...

1) Isn't the bulb in your coolshade a HPS anyway?

2) You can put them under your 400w, BUT keep them well away early on and gradually bring the light down, never done it that way myself, but I'm sure they'll be diaries where people have started off seedlings under HPS.

3) Wet/Dry, feed them when they need it, after potting up it's usually once every 5 or so days, but as they grow and the root ball develops, they take on more, towards the end, there usually on around 2 litres every 2-3 days.

Hope that helps and good luck :yep:

• Like 2

Thanks for replying Serpent.

The bulb in my coolshade is a 400w dual spectrum, after reading your posts and deciding to try your methods for my first grow I may just go and buy a MH and HPS bulbs seperately and may even buy a 250 light too... I'm assuming if I did this I could run the MH at the early Veg stage??

I'm sorry to be a pain and seem to have plenty of questions to ask and you seem like the "AUTO" guy :wink:

RE: Seeds, I'm looking at sweet seeds and the cream caramel and Fast Bud.

Could you tell me in your Humble opinion 1. Which Auto seed has been your easiest grow?

2. Which Auto has been your favourite smoke?

3. Which Auto has been your biggest Yielder?

Hopefully these questions might help others in a similar situation to myself and I thank you once again for taking the time to reply

It sounds like your over complicating things and confusing yourself, simple is best :D

If I've read right, the bulb in your coolshade is a 400w dual spec HPS, so you'll be able to use that right through till harvest, but then there's no harm in using an MH during the veg stage if you want, never done that myself though so couldn't say if it works well with auto's, can't see it being a problem as long as you get your HPS in when they start to flower.

They've all been similar to grow really, start flowering at a similar time and are ready about the same time, with the exception of the Il Diavolo which was chopped at 49 days, don't think I'll grow her again, if I did, I'd take her a lot longer.

For smoke and biggest yielder for me its still the Cream Caramel, have a real soft spot for her, a nice indica stone as well.

Yeah I make you right!! I'm definately over complicating things. I think I'm trying to get everything sorted in my head first before I start and trying to soak up as much info as possible from the knowledgebank of members (inc you, thankyou for that!).

I guessed the Cream Caramel was your fave by reading your diaries and have just ordered them along with the Fast bud from sweet seeds. Hopefully if and when I get an Auto Diary going you'll pop your head in to see my attempt.

Once again TY for your time and I hope you have luck with your current grow, you've been a great help :smokin:

The bulb in my coolshade is a 400w dual spectrum, after reading your posts and deciding to try your methods for my first grow I may just go and buy a MH and HPS bulbs seperately and may even buy a 250 light too... I'm assuming if I did this I could run the MH at the early Veg stage??

As Serpent says, you are overcomplicating. The 400 W dual spectrum will do absolutely fine, you'd be crazy to go out and buy new lights. The whole HPS vs Dual Spectrum vs MH thing actually makes very little difference, the amount of light is far more important.

The only advantage to buying a 250 would be to save a few pence on the leccy bill in the first couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming that Squirrel. And what about at the seedling stage where Serpent is using the 3cfl's, will I still be ok with my lighting arrangement and how far away do you think i'd need to hang them?? (I do have 250 dual bulb also)

Also I wonder if you or serpent have given the 12/12 a go with autos around week 6 or 7 yet?? I know that Serpent has mentioned it in a few of his threads but still looks like the jury is out.

Thanks guys and sorry if i'm a little too inquisitive, I promise the Questions will stop :wassnnme:

Squirrel will probably be able to answer the distance of the light for seedlings better than me as I always use CFL's, and no not tried knocking down to 12/12 yet, I'm thinking of giving it a go with my current grow, just depends how it goes with the photo strains.