Serpents guide to growing autos in soil

Serpent

Ferts and nutes are two words for the same thing. Stop listening to that friend, he doesn't know much.

You will get much better pics if you turn off the HPS.

Be careful with grow pics on an iPhone. Sometimes they are tagged with identifiable information.

• Like 2

Also I wonder if you or serpent have given the 12/12 a go with autos around week 6 or 7 yet?? I know that Serpent has mentioned it in a few of his threads but still looks like the jury is out

I did that my first two auto grows, as I was growing alongside conventional plants. It works, but the autos don't reach their full potential IMO, because they don't get as much light as they would like. Doing it that way, you are cutting down the total amount of light per day they get by 33%, right at the peak of flowering. It's also a collossal pain, because the autos and regulars are different heights and have different feed requirements. Now I do one or the other at any one time.

Ferts and nutes are two words for the same thing. Stop listening to that friend, he doesn't know much.

You will get much better pics if you turn off the HPS.

Be careful with grow pics on an iPhone. Sometimes they are tagged with identifiable information.

Ok thanks.

I shall delete my photos then if I can work out how. Is there a limit on how many times I can edit my post? It's only allowing me to quote it.

Edited by fearofsailing

hi serpent,

canna terra professional plus/perlite(3/1)

2" to 11lt pot, 24 hours light first 3 weeks, than 18/6 under 600hps

Advanced Nutrients Sensi Bloom part A (4-0-4) 1ml part B (2-5-6) 2ml after 40 - 42 days (less than half of recommended), before just plain water.

no nutes after 63 days.

Sweet's Big Devil 2 76 days, 1.80m tall, very heavy dank buds (surprisingly lower buds aswell), well over 120g expecting after trimmed, dried and cured.

well it works for me :smokin:

post-64418-0-23717900-1316823983_thumb.jpg

Edited by mediterranean sea

@ fearofsailing

Like squirrel says, be careful with iphone photos, I think it's something to do with the location services on the iphone, you can turn it off in settings, not 100% sure if that is it, but it's been mentioned a on the forum a fair bit so do a search.

And if I was you I'd get them into their final pots sooner rather than later, and once potted up, don't be in any rush to give them nutes!

@ mediterranean sea

Looks like you've got some good results there and some tall plants! Enjoy your fruits :yep:

Edited by Serpent

Thanks Squirrel for that Info, seems like you may have answered the question that most auto growers were looking for.

Do you grow alot of autos too?? I'm looking to read as many Auto diaries as poss right now, so will look at your grow diaries.

Cheers and GL

Still tempted to cut the light down over the last week or so on my current grow, gut feeling though is follow squirrel and give 'em as much light as possible like I always do, but would be interesting to see if BB is talking a load of bovine :wassnnme:

I guess it looks like you're going to be the guinea pig with the 12/12 then Serpent....sorry

I do however look forward to checking in on your diary and hope you have the kinda results you're used to

I expect quite a few growers have done what we did, and tried growing some autos alongside conventional plants, looking for some quick bud when we had nothing. We liked the high so much on our first autos, Lowryder 2, that we did it again. Then we did an all-autos grow to fit into the time we had, and found we got a better yield than expected, because this time we had the light on 20/4 all the way through. Unexpected bonus : it's easier to control the temps when you are on 20/4 all the way through. Temp control is always an issue in winter loft grows, especially in 12/12.

Meanwhile there are loads of great new strains coming out, and the quality and consistency is getting better and better. The plants are smaller, but that just means start more plants.

So far, the more I grow autos, the more I like them. I think that now there are only two areas where photoperiod plants have the edge : yield per plant, and possibly top end quality. But there isn't much in it on the quality, IMO, it gets me plenty monged, and that's good enough for me. And the yields are getting better, especially if you don't handicap them with 12/12.

I'm towards the end of a test grow with 4 autos (2 x 60 day wonder and 2 x Thunder Bloody Mary). I did them all in 6 litre pots and had a couple of photos at the back of the grow room as well (2 x 400w HPS).

I did the autos in both soil and soiless, one each of each type to see the difference.

One thing I will say is that serpent's comments about being careful with nutes early is spot on. I stressed out one of my plants with a little bit of nute burn and careless transplanting (TBM in hydro); it slowed down the growth and she ended up way behind the rest of the room. The problem with autos is that you can't control if and when they're going to flower, so the poor stressed little hydro started flowering after 4 weeks and she was only 4 inches high (her sister in soil is doing much better at about 12" with first flowers). You really do need to make sure you don't stress these little girls out in the first few weeks or you will have a smaller plant at flowering and much reduced yield. If you're a novice it might be an idea to plant in final pot as suggested in the thread - I also recommend soil with bat guano and NO nutes for the first few weeks!

The 60 day wonders have done ok, but one of them seems to be behaving like a photo (35 days in and no flowers, 18" tall). This was the 60 day I did in soil. It looks like it will have a big yield, but since it's behaving like a photo I would hope so. The 60 day wonder in hydro did set flowers after 30 days and she's pretty big (I'm guessing about 2.5oz after curing, but time will tell and I'm known to be an optimist).

I still have a few weeks until the first TBM will be ready so I can't give any final weights yet, but I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the info in this thread, I found it quite useful and thought I'd share my experiences.

GL to anyone else experimenting with them.

The 60 day wonders have done ok, but one of them seems to be behaving like a photo (35 days in and no flowers, 18" tall). This was the 60 day I did in soil. It looks like it will have a big yield, but since it's behaving like a photo I would hope so. The 60 day wonder in hydro did set flowers after 30 days and she's pretty big (I'm guessing about 2.5oz after curing, but time will tell and I'm known to be an optimist).

Hi mamba, i'v read somewhere? That "Some 60 day wonder can be more like a 100+ day wonder" Maybe you've got one of the same pheno's?

I'd be interested to see how long she takes?...........Love n' Light :yinyang:

Just to let anybody know who might be interested Attitude have a World of seeds promo on atm - buy any pack and get 2 pak ryder and 2 afghan kush ryder free - they're both supposed to be strong. Worth it if you were going to buy some seeds anyway.

Hey Serp, Great guide dude! I just noticed it was sweet seeds comp time and managed to get my name down at the last minute, thanks to your awesome auto diary's and this guide I chose Cream Caramel, Black Jack and S.A.D. I'm excited about this now as you've really shown how great these sweet seeds auto's can be! Thanks again and cant wait to see how the comp seeds turn out!

atb

G