Serpents guide to growing autos in soil

Serpent

Worked for me on my first auto grow too - seedlings went straight into 11 litre final pots, and ended up with 4.2oz from 2 plants. This, for me, is one of the biggest advantages of autos either for the novice grower or someone lacking time to tend to their plants. Early into big pots means fewer points of failure, like:

• fewer potting-up cock-ups
  • those big pots hold lots of water, so you water less often (like once every 4 or 5 days)
  • and they hold lots of nutes, so less feeding
  • generally less time taken overall

And you don't need to be concerned about light-proofing your grow room, those autos are very forgiving.

Wasn't a very thick rootball at the end (big pots, mind) and I reckon I'd have had the same yield from 6.5l pots. Biggest risk is getting stale compost from lack of root activity, but wasn't a problem for me.

Yeah they certainly have their advantages and 4.2oz from 2 plants is pretty darn good, you must have been really chuffed :guitar:

Ah this explains everything lol you would be amazed at how many conversations about you and your grows I have with my gf haha only in terms of what your growing. Your first grow was amazing and then you went to autos and we couldnt understand. Well now I understand although I must say if I yield as much from autos as I have been doing with photoperiod I may as well stick with them.

I think if the comp grow didn't go as good as it did I might not have bothered again, plus with Tommy doing the cream caramel and black jack test grows which were just amazing, sparked my interest further, now I've done a few different vars, I am leaning towards doing a mix of photos and autos next grow, might have to bring my scrog net out again :D

Nice thread, Serpent - very informative.

:yep:

lol

Been there, got the T!

My tip: To pre-soak compost I fill my pot with dry compost and then stand it in a dish of water and let it soak it up from the bottom. I normally do this over a 24 hour period to allow everything to reach room temps too. Then just a quick (fine) spray of the surface and there you go, a lovely, moist tilth. Perfect for seeds and cuts ;)

Cheers Arnold although I guess we still won't be able to tempt you with doing an auto grow any time soon :D

• Like 1

Yeah they certainly have their advantages and 4.2oz from 2 plants is pretty darn good, you must have been really chuffed :guitar:

Oh yes, very pleased with that! And another thing I'll say is that though I'm quite new to all this, it seems that the auto strains have come on a lot over the last 2 years or so (from reading this site). Seedbanks like Serious Seeds have got some fantastic products. So, if you've been disappointed with autos from a few years ago, give it another go - there's more choice and better quality and reliability now.

• Like 1

I agree with that, got a mate who I only see once in a blue moon and he grows Lowryder #2 and although it's a pretty nice smoke that I've sampled off him, the buds weren't massive, and all the Sweet Seeds I've grown, for me anyway, were a better/tastier/stronger smoke, he sticks with the Lowryder #2's though as to quote him 'I know where I'm at with it' :D

• Like 2

congratulations serpent for getting your guide pinned on uk420 ..it says a lot about how good your guide is ..nice one chap ..it`ll be a great help to a lot of people ..and proving finally that autos have a place in the canna community ..

• Like 3

nice guide, which 250w light have u got for your d60 tent please?

Thanks mate and my bulb is a sunmaster dual spectrum

congratulations serpent for getting your guide pinned on uk420 ..it says a lot about how good your guide is ..nice one chap ..it`ll be a great help to a lot of people ..and proving finally that autos have a place in the canna community ..

Cheers Vince and I agree, auto's do have their place, yeah there not for everyone but if grown right, they can give you some nice bud

• Like 2

I'm prob going to have to do an auto grow (for quickness) but am a bit wary as i did a sd2 last time and it turned out rubbish (still not sure why - poss over watered). I've got a 250 digi and a mh bulb but no hps or dual at that wattage, Would it be worth switching to a 600 hps (or dual) at around 30 days or would i be better off getting a hps/dual 250, or would the mh be ok? I think I'd be using the freebies that attitude have been giving away as i seem to have about 10 of them (dna haze 2nd grade?) a northern light auto and some others that are lying around.

• Like 1

cheers squirrel - i take it the plants wouldn't be stressed by the switch, or should i maybe have the 600 higher for a few days?

Ed - Anybody here grown the world of seeds autos - just read some good reports on the a/floweringnet forum and wandered what you lot thought?

Edited by wanabuyabank?

Nice work Serpent, just cracked 3 big devils and 3 sad's, now i know what to do, Cheers

Thanks Monkey, glad it was of help & good luck with your auto grow :yep:

cheers squirrel - i take it the plants wouldn't be stressed by the switch, or should i maybe have the 600 higher for a few days?

Ed - Anybody here grown the world of seeds autos - just read some good reports on the a/floweringnet forum and wandered what you lot thought?

Like squirrel says, use the 600 & he also might be better to advise about switching lights as I always use a dual spec from start to finish.

Not tried World of Seeds yet, got an Afghan Kush Ryder by them which I'll hopefully crack at some point as it sounds like it could be interesting.

• Like 1

The plants will love you for it. I use my 250 at around 9 inches from the tops, and the 600 around 18 inches.

• Like 1

Im very tempted to go for an auto grow this time (especially now ive read this serpent, excellent read mate), realy jus for speed to get in in time for xmas.

Grew some masterlow (seeds given to me by a friend) last summer just on the windowsill in the kitchen and was quite impressed.

This time thinking of doing half n half mix of paradise seeds VERTIGO and AUOTMARIA II in a 120 tent under a 600w dual spec hps, anybody on here grown these 2 strains at all ?????

Would love to hear your thoughts comments etc.

:smokin:

• Like 1

Im very tempted to go for an auto grow this time (especially now ive read this serpent, excellent read mate), realy jus for speed to get in in time for xmas.

Grew some masterlow (seeds given to me by a friend) last summer just on the windowsill in the kitchen and was quite impressed.

This time thinking of doing half n half mix of paradise seeds VERTIGO and AUOTMARIA II in a 120 tent under a 600w dual spec hps, anybody on here grown these 2 strains at all ?????

Would love to hear your thoughts comments etc.

:smokin:

Really fancy growing vertigo myself although the La Diva by delicious seeds thats Iam growing has really really impressed me.