The Amsterdam Hotel Review Thread!

StonedBrittania

Fnah! it was fully booked mate, bloody lucky to get in where we got TBH as we booked so late... But let me tell you I was pretty impressed by this hotel...

As a regular visitor to Goa no hotel in Europe could surely bother me very much!?! But after reading (only a couple) of shoddy reviews I was unsure as to what to expect. Well the place is excellent. in all fairness... The first night we were, rephrase, the missus was :yep: (i was comatose, she doesn't smoke ganja), woken up a number of times between 2 and 6 am, neighbour with decks I think, I recall some awesome tunage at some point in the night. Next morning my missus was pissed off, myself, just thought an invite would have been nice, bouncing tunes are my kinda thing! (would have bought some shrooms b4hand) B)

Which brings me to the mushrooms are banned bollocks. If they are, they are not enforcing it. They're e-v-e-r-y-where! ;)

Anyway, the hotel is right opposite central station 14euro taxi lol OR a 2 minute walk...

Excellent location, numerous good coffeeshops in the vicinity, pure cannabis tolerant bars around the corner in the street directly behind it (so you don't feel obliged to buy more fookin weed when you got 5 bags in your pocket anyway!).

Cost with taxes was +/- £450, therefore £112.50 av. per night, so from initially camping in zeeburg our costs got hiked from the start... and then we got there... lol THEN our costs got hiked... talk about a tourist trap... Fuck me! fiver a pint! inclusive of one and a half inch head! fuckers... The only thing consistently cheap(ish) was the fuckin' coffee! lol I think the cheapest pint I had was in the Bulldog in RLD at 4 euro if i recall... I shite thee not, next time I will be going for one or two nights MAX! 5 days was too expensive plus we'd seen practically everything we wanted to see within two days, plus, now we have seen it, whats to go back for apart from the ganja. I can get pretty fucking stoned in two days :rofl:lol

Didn't make brekkie at the hotel, but looked good the one morning I passed by... No complaints from me anyway, staff were cool, place was cool, not allowed to smoke dope in hotel [ahem] shop on the corner sells handy air freshener for ya! I smoked Amnesia Haze in there pure and no-one smelt it, the most notably fruity toot of the trip i think ;)

Anyway, gonna do a little write up about the ganja I tried out there later... But as for the hotel, considering the cost of EVERYTHING out there... it was pretty sweet ;)

Hope it helps :rofl:

Flying out Weds for 5 days, staying here...

http://www.amrathamsterdam.com/

dont hate me i got a wicked deal on this... lol

reports when i get back

See you all on the flip side

:eek:

Have a good 5 days bob! Know I did :eek:

:soap: Just checked your hotel bob. Very nice. Hope you had a deal and a half mate! Looks VERY expensive... B)

Edited by Greenthumb_420

OMG this place is awesome, free pool, gym etc, free minibar (stocked daily)free wireless internet, free new papers in the am...

got here this arvo, got 45% off on the hotel booking from hotels.com and using quidco.com for cash back, so was £500 for 4 nights, but thats for two of us, so £62.50 each a night.... :band::rofl::toot:

thanks to the new laws just had a spliff in a bar with a pint of beer, using the free mix, as you can smoke weed but not tobacco :toot:

the pound is fucked now tho, change £300 and got 335 euro :badass:

so to me everything is £1 = 1 euro

just back to chill out then heading back into town...

been to grey area and hill street blues so far...

got loads of pics will up loads in the next day or so.... if i can be arsed :stoned:

gutted to be paying for weed after gowing last 8 months, but nice to be so relaxed about it all :yep:

Safe !

be lucky !! etc

bob

OMG this place is awesome, free pool, gym etc, free minibar (stocked daily)free wireless internet, free new papers in the am...

got here this arvo, got 45% off on the hotel booking from hotels.com and using quidco.com for cash back, so was £500 for 4 nights, but thats for two of us, so £62.50 each a night.... lol lol :)

thanks to the new laws just had a spliff in a bar with a pint of beer, using the free mix, as you can smoke weed but not tobacco :)

the pound is fucked now tho, change £300 and got 335 euro :yep:

got loads of pics will up loads in the next day or so.... if i can be arsed lol

gutted to be paying for weed after gowing last 8 months, but nice to be so relaxed about it all :)

Safe !

be lucky !! etc

bob

Fucking BARGIN at £500 mate. One lucky geezer! but, yea, £5 a fookin pint innit :)

E2A: Feeling slow here after watching tv till half 2 in the AM like a tit, but FREE MINIBAR!!! Just kicked in! :blub:

Proper good deal!

Edited by Greenthumb_420

• 3 months later...

From BoB2oo9's recomendation (the picture of the pool, sauna, and the hot tub did it for me) I'm doing the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam as well, 3 nights in a deluxe room in the middle of march for just under 500 quid (single room was ~116 a night, but as I'm hoping to have company, the king sized bed was called for, also the deluxe room from hotels.co.uk is fully refundable as opposed to the single from hotels or booking deluxe directly from the hotel (costs 7 quid more than booking from the hotel but worth it for the ability to call it off up to the day before my arrival :rofl: ).

Will report back on the hotel, who knows, maybe I'll even post pictures unlike naughty bob (4 months later and still no pics?! If my friend shows up I may give the hotel restaurant a try for dinner one night.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Heading out to Amsterdam with the gf on the 27th of this month. I've had a read through the thread but a lot of the posts are pretty old. Does anybody have any decent, up to date recommendations? My priorities are affordability, cleanliness and ofc smoking friendly.

darthprawn Posted Feb 10 2009, 03:40 AM

Hey guys,

Heading out to Amsterdam with the gf on the 27th of this month. I've had a read through the thread but a lot of the posts are pretty old. Does anybody have any decent, up to date recommendations? My priorities are affordability, cleanliness and ofc smoking friendly.

have a look at: Hotel Falcon Plaza - if you book through easybook or any of the other booking sites you can get a descent Clean room in a not too bad location for only 49 euro's a night a room. Plus as long as you sit by the window whilst smoking they don't complain (which is getting rarer in most hotels there now)

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up staying in a place called Maggie's Guesthouse. Prices were cheap (140 euroish for 3 midweek nights for me and the gf, prices were per room rather than per person - I booked it through hostelworld.com rather than direct through the guesthouse's own website, prices were somewhat cheaper that way).

Location was excellent, on Martelaarsgracht about 2-3 mins walk from central station, 10 mins walk from the Grey Area and a little less to the Greenhouse on Haarlemmerstraat. Room was spacious and clean enough (if you are a picky bugger you might find cause to complain but no issues for me). Upon arrival I asked the lady who checked us in and took payment whether smoking a joint in the room was OK, she laughed and said that it was fine. Only problem was the stairs - our room was on the top floor up four flights of the buggers, counted 75 steps up to the top which was a killer after smoking a bunch of weed and a few beers, someone who suffers from joint problems or the like might actually struggle if they were in one of the top rooms but I understand this is a problem for a lot of similar hotels in Amsterdam. Overall would recommend to anyone wanting some cheep, cheerful and toker friendly accomodation for a few days in Amsterdam.

• 4 weeks later...

got here this arvo, got 45% off on the hotel booking from hotels.com and using quidco.com for cash back, so was £500 for 4 nights, but thats for two of us, so £62.50 each a night.... lol lol lol

thanks to the new laws just had a spliff in a bar with a pint of beer, using the free mix, as you can smoke weed but not tobacco lol

the pound is fucked now tho, change £300 and got 335 euro :wacko:

got loads of pics will up loads in the next day or so.... if i can be arsed :guitar:

gutted to be paying for weed after gowing last 8 months, but nice to be so relaxed about it all :)

Safe !

be lucky !! etc

bob

Fucking BARGIN at £500 mate. One lucky geezer! but, yea, £5 a fookin pint innit :)

E2A: Feeling slow here after watching tv till half 2 in the AM like a tit, but FREE MINIBAR!!! Just kicked in! :unsure:

Proper good deal!

i paid 19 euros at the bar opposite the yellow clog for 0.5 litre of bavaria and a vodka and coke. prices are crazy bulldog was cheapest i found stayed there to was clean 200 euros for 2 nights for 2 cost me 750 euros for the weekend. :yes:

From BoB2oo9's recomendation (the picture of the pool, sauna, and the hot tub did it for me) I'm doing the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam as well, 3 nights in a deluxe room in the middle of march for just under 500 quid (single room was ~116 a night, but as I'm hoping to have company, the king sized bed was called for, also the deluxe room from hotels.co.uk is fully refundable as opposed to the single from hotels or booking deluxe directly from the hotel (costs 7 quid more than booking from the hotel but worth it for the ability to call it off up to the day before my arrival lol ).

Will report back on the hotel, who knows, maybe I'll even post pictures unlike naughty bob (4 months later and still no pics?! If my friend shows up I may give the hotel restaurant a try for dinner one night.

Ok, didn't do pics of the hotel. not that I can share anyways as naked women are frowned upon by the rules. (well, and the woman in question might not be too pleased :stoned: ) Have to say Amrath fcking rocked. Great location, good service, and frickin great tub/shower. we were upgraded to a + level room (one step up) with "city view" though the room was in the lower level so the city view was of people's legs, but hey, it was free and I'm not there for the outside view :) The mini bar was useful too, each day it's restoked with any items you used. To the best of my knowledge here's the list:

2 bottles of coke

2 bottles of coke light

2 bottles of indian tonic

2 bottles of dutch "white" beer (decent)

2 bottles of sparkling water

2 bottles of regular water

2 bottles of OJ (surprisingly tasty)

1 (about the same size as the cokes)bottle of red wine

1 (about the same size as the cokes)bottle of white

1 airport bottle of absolute

1 airport bottle of cognac (hennesey I think)

1 airport bottle of gordon's

1 airport bottle of scotch (grouse, though from the menu sometimes it's johnny walker red)

1 big box of peanuts

1 chocolate/nuget bar (you know you're stoned when you actually eat this one.)

swear there was 1 more hard liquor but can't think of it.

There is also coffee/tea making facilities, for the coffee maker (pod unit) there are 6 servings included 2 of each of the following:

Decaffinated (espresso sized)

espresso (surprisingly enough espresso sized)

regular (full sized)

all coffees passed my taste test :)

The tea is a black/chai type.

They include 2 robes with the rooms and have a complimentary golf umbrella for your visit.

there is officially a ban on tobacco, herb not-so-much, just be discreet-ish (there are still ashtrays in the rooms :) )

Would highly recomend the amrath if you want a hotel around central station, note that while it may say it's climate controlled, it is NOT air conditioned, so in the same price range pick the American in liedsplein in the summer for the air conditioning (most rooms there also have balconies so smoking ban isn't a big deal) The american also has a very good buffet breakfast if you can get a deal on it, if not. well like the amrath, it's not worth 20E+ per person. The (eden at the mo) hotel american is also a lot closer to katsu lol I have a soft spot for the american as i spent a week there a number of years back for my bachelor party with a couple of female friends... Erm, right. Advantage of the amrath is it's a piece of piss to find again even if you're stoned off your ass as it's right next to central station and is rather easy to recognize. The bar serves food until 22:30 or 2300 and will allow you to take your food on plates back to your room to avoid the room service 7.50 charge :) (the tuna wrap from the bar is rather tasty, skip the cheese plate from room service unless you don't need bread with your cheese :) )

Oh, and the 32" tv's have Svideo, RCA, HDMI, and scart in in case you're the sort to bring movies/whatever with you. the svideo/rca is easily accessed, the scart and hdmi is a bit tricky to get to. Don't forget a 3.5mm earphone to rca adaptor if you're going to power the tv with your laptop!

Edited by SaintSinner

Ah ha! I do have some pictures that don't include naughty bits!

A well used minibar

gallery_22678_2166_44745.jpg

A well used bed

gallery_22678_2166_97637.jpg

a city view that starts about waist level from the room:

gallery_22678_2166_10912.jpg

• Like 1