Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Adriaan

First time growing - need help with setup

18 posts in this topic

Hi Guys!

I hope that I can get some help in my first grow.

I bought my grow setup with following inside: 

- 1.2x1.2x2m tent 

- Carbon filter fan kit 4'' 

- 4 breathable 16L root nurse pots 

- 600w Lumii Black Light kit

- Canna coco natural 

- Canna a+b

I have already planted 4 seeds, 2x white widow, 1x amnesia haze, 1x Skunk XL and they are already seedlings about 3cm long.

I ordered few more things which I am waiting for ph meter, digital thermometer, 2x 6'' fans for air circulation. 

The most important thing that I worry about is temperature, I am still waiting for thermometer to check it but while light is running is literally really hot in the grow tent so I think is too hot and 4'' fan that is connected to carbon filter is not really doing the job. 

Do you think that 2x 6'' normal fans will help ? At the moment my budget is really low so cannot buy some big expensive fans. 

In around 2 days I will try to update you guys with exact temperature. 

I hope you can guys help me. 

Looking forward to your replies ! 

I use an LED myself, but I am pretty sure your light is going to put on a lot more heat.

What is you normal tent temp. and HR %

1 person likes this

Hi I just received my thermometer so quickly checked temp in tent, left it there for 5 minutes and temp was 36c degrees and humidity around 28 and also saw that soil is dry so quickly watered it and put a towel soaked in cold water to get temp down and hr up. 

How can I lower down temp for whole time? 

Thanks

Need a bigger extractor system, I’m using a 6” in a 1x1 tent as was peaking to 30c in the summer, use a controller this time of year to keep temps stable around 25c 

Where is your tent situated ?

As warmer weather approaches, seems like overheating may be critical.

1 hour ago, Jay1601 said:

Need a bigger extractor system, I’m using a 6” in a 1x1 tent as was peaking to 30c in the summer, use a controller this time of year to keep temps stable around 25c 

Can you recommend any good and not expensive  extractor and controller?

28 minutes ago, BazilEd said:

Where is your tent situated ?

As warmer weather approaches, seems like overheating may be critical.

In the small room but its a flat and im living at the top floor all the heat is going to my house and also have no window there. Really thinking now of some better fan but it have to be quiet as neighbours are behind the wall.

Thanks guys I appreciate your replies 

1 person likes this

Hey I'm no expert but that light does seem to be driving the temp up and the humidity way down. Is LED a possibility ?

1 person likes this

Not really, it will have to stay as hps, maybe next grow I will switch. 

This is why I need something to get temp down. 

Does the fan vent to outside ? If so can you just crank that up ?

Are you running a 600w in a pretty much empty tent?  Why?  If you've only got seedlings you are wasting loads of electricity in exchange for a shitty environment.  Get some cfl's, fluro's or leds to start off.  Your plants and spark bill will thank you for it.  As your plants grow they will absorb radiant heat and create their own humidity. 

I have two 1.2x1.2x2 tents.  I run an 8inch extraction and filter in one, and a 10inch extraction and filter in the other.  If I had to buy another one, it would be 10inch.  4inch wouldn't cut it for me.  If you want quiet, go large and turn it down.

2 people like this

How many cfl lights will I need? 

Also can you recommend any good extractors?

I can afford one in about 1-2 months. I will be able to spend  100 more on extra setup.

At the moment are there any option for me?

Maybe cooltube? 

Edited by Adriaan
1 person likes this

You either need to change the light or increase extraction, I suppose you also might be able to bring temps down if you somehow can draw colder air in to the tent.

I would buy a 300w cfl  with an e40 fitting that fits into your reflector and use that for the time being, would cost about £20. As far as I know that should work fine as long as you don't use the ballast as cfls don't need one. You might need to be careful the cfl isn't too fat to fit in the reflector though..

Edited by growitandsmokeit
2 people like this

7 hours ago, growitandsmokeit said:

You either need to change the light or increase extraction, I suppose you also might be able to bring temps down if you somehow can draw colder air in to the tent.

I would buy a 300w cfl  with an e40 fitting that fits into your reflector and use that for the time being, would cost about £20. As far as I know that should work fine as long as you don't use the ballast as cfls don't need one. You might need to be careful the cfl isn't too fat to fit in the reflector though..

I will probably go and buy CFL bulb but in regards to ballast, my reflector only connexts to ballast and there is no normal plug going from reflector. Does it mean that I have to also buy new reflector?

10 hours ago, Adriaan said:

How many cfl lights will I need? 

Also can you recommend any good extractors?

I can afford one in about 1-2 months. I will be able to spend  100 more on extra setup.

I'd head to b&q or similar, or order some cheap led's online. No ballast or reflector required. You don't need high wattage for young plants. Several growers on here keep their mums under 7w leds.  

I use a 110w fluro, been going strong 4 yrs and takes my plants upto 4 wks old. 

Can't recommend a filter, just a size. I wouldn't go below 8 inch, but would recommend 10inch. 

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, FatBoy77 said:

I'd head to b&q or similar, or order some cheap led's online. No ballast or reflector required. You don't need high wattage for young plants. Several growers on here keep their mums under 7w leds.  

I use a 110w fluro, been going strong 4 yrs and takes my plants upto 4 wks old. 

Can't recommend a filter, just a size. I wouldn't go below 8 inch, but would recommend 10inch. 

Do you think that switching to digital ballast so I  can go down to 250w on hps will be a good option and temp will go down or just go with cfl? If I will buy cfl i will also have to buy something to hang it on or srew in so light can work.

Looking forward to your reply