Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sidi Hidi

DIY Malawi Cob

34 posts in this topic

Following on from this thread above, I did promise to start a topic when I could find a cob. Don't ask me where I acquired it from, it's a long story. 

large.IMG_20170125_121411.jpglarge.IMG_20170125_190742.jpglarge.IMG_20170125_190844.jpg

It's still green and far from ripe, but it will do the trick for now, I struggled a bit at peeling back the layers of husks and tore a couple of them in the process. I don't think it should be a problem though. 

I've left it to dry out a bit, but my next issue is how to remove the cob without ruining the husks. Any ideas welcome.

@botanics @grandfathersMedal's @VikingDee @Pheonix @Happy Hippy @forest dog @Highburyway @Bucketboi @Arnold Layne @Lord Steppington @erbivore9 @indicatoker420 @hazy daze @Superdedupity @Degsy @DANfour20 @Twisted Rizla @harvestreaper @GreenVision @madgiz @Ishmael @bobnudd @fragerdaz

@Fragg

10 people like this

@Sidi Hidi I take you've spent some time by the Lake of Stars?

1 person likes this

@pollenlover I haven't a clue what you mean:ninja: 

Have you been to Monkey Bay yourself? I know that they change the venue every year, but you can't argue with a good old shindig with a backdrop like that.

In all honesty, It looks a bit naff to me. Radio 1 dj's and a load of "world music"  it's not really my cuppa chai PL. Maybe I would consider it one day, it's a long way to travel and tbh the line ups at the local parties I attend piss all over the corporate, BBC laden "lake of stars" efforts. Different strokes and all that malarkey...

A mate of mine is trying to organise himself a set on their line up. If he can wing it then I may make the effort to attend. When is it? In July/August time.

@Sidi Hidi :B): i was referring to the Lake itself as that's a common moniker given to it and not the festival itself. It does look naff. I think it started in Chinteche as a very low key affair but one or two well known people got involved. I love Malawi. Been trying to get back there for years, maybe this year, who knows. Good luck with the cob

1 person likes this

@pollenlover Sorry, my bad. Mi gusto Catalunya! Hablo Catalun, pollenlover?

Fire flames is the correct translation for Malawi, from the Maravi dialect. They'd look down from the Plateau, on the lake and describe it as shimmering like fire. On a clear night then you must get a similar effect from the reflection of the night sky.

Parlo una mica de Catala. TBH most folk in Barcelona speak Spanish but it's changing rapidly as the number of Catala speakers is growing rapidly. I've had a very clear image of the stars reflected on the lake in my head for many a year and the image has consoled and fortified me many times and in many situations, not all of them positive. It is definately one of the most beautiful things I've ever had the pleasure to see.

1 person likes this

Have you ever made a cob? @pollenlover

Ive done it before, but with ripe cobs. All the husks were dry and the cob just twisted away from the husks. My other concern is what this one has been sprayed with. All sorts of shite, I would guess. Do you think that drying it in the sun first would be a better idea? Get it crispy and blast any pesticides with a  good old dose of uv. The best method would be to use a homegrown one that hasn't been doused in crap first. Beggars can't be choosers so I will just crack on with what I have. 

I'll just tie it up with string, bind it really tight and hope for the best. The last time I saw the genuine article, it was in a massive cob, twice the size of this one. They'd tied it up with thin slivers of car tyre instead of string. 

The weed isn't fresh, it's bone dry and contains too little moisture for a proper, traditional ferment. I don't want to risk mould by hydrating the buds, I will rather just work with what I have for now. 

Muy bien amigo! I thought you would tell me that "parlo una mass Catala".

I don't know any Spanish apart from how to ask the bus driver for the next stop and then ask the locals for hash. How are those clubs in Barca? Are you a member at any? It used to be quite dodgy asking around for a smoke, in Spain. You never knew what sort of crap Maroc they would serve up. It seems like times are changing for the better and a more civilised, Mediterranean approach is in effect. Can you grow at home without any hassles now?

Edited by Sidi Hidi
1 person likes this

Good luck with it @Sidi Hidi what strain are you going to use? Malawi? 

1 person likes this

@VikingDee of course mate. The one and only Zomba black, from the Shire Highlands. I have had it curing since last year, already, it was silly strong after harvest and hopefully she's managed to calm down a bit, since then. It's already cured nicely, so this is more of a fuck around, for presentation sake. The hash was too strong and left me in a right state when mixed with whisky. It's the one I documented in my diary. I grew sensimilla, from pips picked out of the real deal.

I might mix in a bit of the other vars for a mixture, what do you reckon?

Thanks for the good luck wishes. 

2 people like this

large.IMG_20170126_150053.jpg

That was easy, next step is quite a fiddle to pull the husks back and fill it, then bind it. Chuck it somewhere dark, dry and warm, then forget about it for a month or two.

I've left it in the car, with the windows closed. That should radiate it nicely, before I fill her up.

@J Trich @oldtimer1 apologies if I missed out anybody else who enjoys a toke of Malawi :spliff:

2 people like this

nice project  you should be able to just carefully pull the cobs out the leaves without damaging them too much  mine was all connected at base still was real easy to bind up a cob,,i didnt have a vacum sealer so just used a hoover to suck out the air  worked for a week  then it stgallery_95822_11849_420663.jpggallery_95822_11849_88495.jpggallery_95822_11849_98044.jpgarted to turn moldy for me ,,bbut it was remarkable the cure got after just one week  was like a year old   bottom pic shows  diffrence after just one week sweat

4 people like this

ha you done it ,,,,im smoking  some of the last of it now  real smooth  would definatly like to try it again with a vaccum sealer

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, harvestreaper said:

ha you done it ,,,,im smoking  some of the last of it now  real smooth  would definatly like to try it again with a vaccum sealer

You've hit the jackpot there mate! That looks like the kind of thing I'm aiming for. Only a week, lord have mercy!

Tell us some more about what you did, please?

Was it a fresh cob and weed, what strain did you use? Why did you even attempt it? How much weed did you use? Where did you stash it away?

I think that the plastic increased the chance of mould, I won't be doing that. Just a box of straw and a warm cupboard, job done.

2 people like this

yes it  was fresh weed just dry enuff to smoke not wet   i  just happen to have a couple of small ripe corns  growing  so i thought it all fitted perfectly for harvest season  ,,,IC the idea on another forum guy there  made a detailed  thread so thought id give it a wirl he vaccum seals his  properly tho over a 2 week period then air dries them in a cool enviroment ,the idea is to get  a sweat goin  to get a degree of fermentation i guess,, because i couldnt vacum seal it the mold started   needs oxeygen i hear,so i air dried it from there ,,did it at room temperature ,,tryed because i heard it could improve the smoke both in flavour and potency  the plant i used werrnt a strain was a cross of varius sativas was trippy on first try so i thought it would be a good candidate i dont look at it as a success as the cure was cut short by a week i would not say it has improved flavour or potency  compared to reguler bud but it did cure it  super fast an create a smoother smoke 

forgot to say was about half oz in larger cob maybe a little more compressed pretty tight