what's your starter?

sittingrelaxing

The Pink Flloyd was my 1st so will always be my favourite. If I remember rightly there is a minging 'hotel' opposite called the Arrivee where I spent many a paranoid afternoon having whited myself out too early in the day.

Those were the days...

In Utrecht _t'grasje

Obrechtst. 1

ONE OF THE COOLST PLACES.

Yes free coffee when I was there. Good import weeds esp'

Sarasani was a cool one too, only open in the evenings then.

Love Utrecht's old town.

Guest Blabblabberbab

mmmm....! just came back on tues night from long weekend in the dam. nice. 3rd time over there and a few places stand out above the rest:

Noon Blueberry kicked my ass. it is nice. very fucking nice. Dampkring right up there with probably the best selection, Kali mist, Buddha sister haze and dampkring haze delight were both gorgeous smelling and pokey as you like. Barney's for NYDiesel, laughing buddha and mango punch etc etc... the list goes on - the one place that still stands out above all the rest just cos it's so chilled and serves truly excellent coffee is Hill Street Blues - it was the one place where tokers and non-tokers can sit and not feel bored. Oh and their hash truffles (even tho you need loads to get a hit) taste FUCKING AMAZING! mmmm.... the 3 kingskin neat 'geological core of the holiday' spliff of 6 types of the finest weeds was the highlight - apart from making my bird almost have a whitey outside Rookies after being in the Alto. oops. Oh and for the best thai (restaurant that is.... not green!), I cant rememeberberebbererr what it's called but it's opposite rookies off the leidseplein next to the tibetan restaurant (which incidentally is shit) - bloody lovely.

mmmm....Amsterdam, when's the next flight?

Edited by Blabblabberbab

Any of you recommend a nice low-key pleasant atmospheric type place for a 57 year old herb smoking woman to visit - will be my first visit to Amsterdam.

HOJ

hows about tertulia from my notes taken on my last vist,"white coffee e1.75, 0.8 grams bubble gum e5,good weed menu with a few special 5e deals.very freindly staff,

great place to sit outside and just chill as the word goes by"

As for my starter depends on my time of arrival,if its the early flight then barneys for the breakfast spliff before heading off to one or 2 of the more out of the way places,if its later in the day then noon to stock up with blueberry.one place i always vist is basjoes,not too everybodys taste but certinly a firm favourite of the hippy,great coffee,great orange juice,fantastic northen lights,sit outsie and listen to the nearby church bells,there pretty dam cosmic,especialy there midday freakout

Edited by Themadhippy

• 1 month later...

Wife and I went in June 2004. Walked past Homegrown Fantasy on our way to our hotel (Crowne Plaza). Headed back to HGF after we checked in, and basically stayed there for the weekend.

Best toilet Ive ever had the pleasure of using.

;)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

good topic.

barneys for irish breakfast and some nepalese.

gey area's space dust is out this world. and rookies is nice for late night relaxing. the white widow is exelent and the hagen daz cafe is just up the road. :blushing:

• 2 weeks later...

Allways first to Barneys after the first flight from Edinburgh then slowly make my way down to Dampkring near the flower market excellent choice and nice decor then make my way to tweede kamer really nice dutch shop and serves beer.

Just read through this thread for the first time, nice to see some of my fave hangouts mentioned already :D

I usually start out at The Bluebird in St. Antoniestraat. Great menu. Downstairs a bit plain and the serving area gets a bit cramped when it's busy, but upstairs is great with the choice of a long, low, curving leather sofa to mong out on, or stools to sit and watch the world outside go by.

From there I go (in no particular order) to...

Dutch Flowers on Singel. Try the Marijuana Cigars - a must. The staff can be unfriendly, tho', especially to blatantly obvious hippie dope tourists. Some interesting and amusing exchanges can be quietly observed as a result and are almost worth waiting for sometimes.

De Tweede KamerAlready mentioned, in the alleyway just around the corner from Dutch Flowers. Possibly the smallest coffee shop in existence with a great hash menu.

de Rokerij on Lange Leidsedwarsstraat. Gotta get there early to occupy your space, but super chilled out atmos and Indian theme.

Homegrown Fantasy on Nieuwezijds Voorburgval. Weed only, but highly recommended for the layout, atmos and the strongest space cake in town.

Chocolata on Spuistraat. Can't comment on the menu, but the hash choccies are excellent and fairly innocent looking lol

De Dampkring on Handboogstraat. Already recommended, lovely interior.

Katsu on Eerste van der Helststraat, near the Albert Cuyp market. Off the beaten track and a fine example of a nice little local coffeeshop. Good menu, nice people.

Betty Boop on Nieuwezijds de Kolk. Intimate with a nice pine interior, loads of Betty and internet facilities upstairs. Also has a terrarium with rare and beautifully colourful tree frogs.

Baba on Warmoesstraat. Already mentioned. Nice airy, open space with a mid 20th Century decor. Good munchies and drinkies.

Dolphins on Kerkstraat. Was busted for overstocking and banned from selling dope for a while, but I think they've got their licence back now. Cool decor and surroundings.

The Bulldog on Oudezijds Voorburgwal. Well, I suppose you gotta pay homage, but I don't hang around in there unless the seat by the window is free. Voyeuristic fun can then be had watching the hookers across the canal.

Dread Rock on Oudezijds Voorburgwal. Dived in there once to get out of the rain and wound up staying for hours. Shabby, chilled out and unpretencious with good pool table prices, it's a great little dive with great atmos and some nice weed for sale.

• 4 weeks later...

Here a wee secret for ya all, the best coffee shope in amsterdam is called the green house (not the 1 in the red light district) this 1 is in a place callled tolle strat, about 25 30 walk from dam square, it a real gem of a place, i dont want to say anymore coz you will just have to see it for yourself!!! it will be unlike any other coffee shop you have ever been in, it has the seal of approval from most celebs, i say no-more!!!! You wont be dissapointed,

• 10 months later...
:hug: our fav is marleys cafe or was the last time we went to amsterdam (might not be there now) been awhile since we have been (best go soon ) :wassnnme:

Here a wee secret for ya all, the best coffee shope in amsterdam is called the green house (not the 1 in the red light district) this 1 is in a place callled tolle strat, about 25 30 walk from dam square, it a real gem of a place, i dont want to say anymore coz you will just have to see it for yourself!!! it will be unlike any other coffee shop you have ever been in, it has the seal of approval from most celebs, i say no-more!!!! You wont be dissapointed,

Cool place, quite the most bizarre bogs I've ever seen. Took me a full 5 mins to realise WTF was going on. Mirrors and weed can play cruel tricks on you...

But, it sometimes has snobby staff and I hate that turnstyle.

An interesting place, but not the best CS in the damage. The best by a mile is still De Kuil.