mr. clean

Guest Disturbed
Insects

As a general bug repellent, Nitramkram offers this solution:

Three large cloves of crushed garlic

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

One teaspoon of liquid soap

One litre of water

Combine the garlic and vegetable oil and leave to soak overnight. Strain and add to the litre of water along with the liquid soap. Spray regularly. Garlic is known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties, but it is its insect repellent qualities that most gardeners like.

Am I supposed to spray the actual plant with that solution?

and

If yes, wouldn't the liquid soap harm the plants?

Having had serious probs with slugs over the years ive declared war on them this year. My plan of attack is to use silicone and rock salt (mixed) spread right around the pots as ive tried everything to no avail. Copper i hear you say? Used that last 2 years till i found the slugs slithering over it as if it was a piece of cabbage!! I also might use some grease and salt but its messy old stuff so might have to think about that before i go toxiced up.

I only need to protect them for a few weeks till they are growing fast enough to fend for themselves.. Slug pellets aint good for the plant as it washes down the soil and burns them and leaves a horrid mould on the soil too. Ive used beer traps, egg shells, sharp sand, organic pellets you name it and the only killer is the blue pellets but they are so bad for the plant and me i dont like to use them. Ive quite a load to go out this season so fingers crossed we dont get washed out like last year up here!!

Anyone tried silicione and salt before? grease? opinions welcome. Oh, and the roots wont get near the salt/grease as i use buckets and made the holes myself in the bottom of the buckets none near the sides. Wish me luck. A grow thread will follow in a couple of weeks once theres something to look at..

-ODB-

Slug pellets aint good for the plant as it washes down the soil and burns them and leaves a horrid mould on the soil too.

Put a couple of empty soup tins on there sides and chuck in a few pellets.

One of the most effective types used by growers on the forums has been the Copper Tape method. When a slug or snail slides over a copper surface, the motion of the animal combines with the liquid nature of the slime and the ions in the copper surface to induce an electro-chemical reaction which the slug finds very uncomfortable. Copper can be acquired from numerous sources, although the most effective sort is tape which is purpose-made as a slug-deterrent, and can be bought from good garden centres or online. This is one of the most popular and effective methods.

What about using a ring of 1p and 2p coins as a cheaper alternative to that? It says here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_One_Penny_coin

The coin, known at first as a "new penny", was initially minted from bronze, but since 1992 it has been minted in copper-plated steel.

Would the galvanising effect of the underlying steel alter the effect it had on slimy slugs?

Edited by calgacus

Hiya,i done a geurilla grow last year. I grew Belladonna. I tried the copper wire at the base of the pot to stop slugs getting up the main stalk (didnt work),i also tried egg shells at the base of the pot too (didnt work). Where i grew though was near a pond,the frogs from this would eat certain pests,also lots of birds were in the area too-in particular a Robin Redbreast-i would occasionally go to my grow and see the Robin flitting between my plants hunting slugs etc. I also let Spiders setup shop on my plants too so they would eat any other little bugs. So if you leave say nuts and bird-seed near your plants then hopefully you will attract beneficial birds to frequent them and take care of them. Im not saying that that will completely cure a pest problem but it will certainly help it. (Beware of slugs hiding in between pot and soil!). What ever you do though DONT use pesticides or slug pellets as these can harm surrounding nature if ingested. Hope this helped. I tried to upload some pics but they were to big. If any one wishes to see the outdoor pics then let me know and ill Email them to you. Unfortunately though after months of trekking to the spot with water and newts the weather didnt hold out long enough to yield any decent bud! But they were healthy monstors that would have produced shit loads. Had i used Auto Floewering plants (like i am this year) then im sure i would have yielded some good results.

Peace.

Thanks. I am sure there will be loads of birds where I plan to put them. My plants have not really leafed up very well so far owing to the shitty weather, and I need to get them out of here soon, so I don't know what kind of results I'm going to get. I am thinking about setting up my spot with the plants still in the pots for a few more weeks and then go back and repot them or plant them in the ground. I don't think there should be too many slugs where i intend to pot them either.

Guest Ganjaman

To be honest i haven't put much protection round my plants. I did have a big hole in the soil of one of my pots but i covered it over and it hasn't come back for more :D I used cut down coke bottles with jagged edges on the top to stop slugs and it has kept most of them off.

Can anyone tell me how slug pellets work they seem to attract slugs to them? iv been finding dead slugs and snails near my plants where i put the pellets.

Anyone considered using nematodes Basially kills slugs like pellets do but without harming wildlife, safe on edible crops, and not washed away by rain.

Wakenbake

hi all, im doing my 1st guerrilla grow this year, have currently got 10 plants out with another 15 cuttings in the prop.

i went to see them the other day after 10 days and all but 1 were ok. something has munched its way thru half the plant. it should recover hopefully as there is still a few leaves on and a few shoots, even though i had chicken wire round it.

also on a few of the others there is this white frothy spunky stuff on them (and no i wasn't just pleased to see my plants :) ) does anybody know what is is?? sorry cant do pics atm.

i came across this in the protection thread:

QUOTE(Nitramkram)

One litre of water

Combine the garlic and vegetable oil and leave to soak overnight. Strain and add to the litre of water along with the liquid soap. Spray regularly. Garlic is known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties, but it is its insect repellent qualities that most gardeners like.

i take it i just lightly spray over the plants, but how often? and how long can i use it for in flowering?? and with the liquid soap, can i just use squirty hand soap.

sorry for the dumbass questions, its just i wanna get this right :wink: must admit it all very exiting this outdoor growing.

i have got a few pics so will start a diary soon.

thx

hi all, im doing my 1st guerrilla grow this year, have currently got 10 plants out with another 15 cuttings in the prop.

i went to see them the other day after 10 days and all but 1 were ok. something has munched its way thru half the plant. it should recover hopefully as there is still a few leaves on and a few shoots, even though i had chicken wire round it.

also on a few of the others there is this white frothy spunky stuff on them (and no i wasn't just pleased to see my plants lol ) does anybody know what is is?? sorry cant do pics atm.

i came across this in the protection thread:

QUOTE(Nitramkram)

One litre of water

i take it i just lightly spray over the plants, but how often? and how long can i use it for in flowering?? and with the liquid soap, can i just use squirty hand soap.

sorry for the dumbass questions, its just i wanna get this right :rofl: must admit it all very exiting this outdoor growing.

i have got a few pics so will start a diary soon.

thx

Mornin' man,

The stuff that looks like spit (Cotton Mouth) :rofl: Is called Cuckoo Spit or a Spittle Bug. I had this turn up on one of my Durbans, it's nothing to worry about, just wipe it off.

The froth serves a number of purposes. It hides the nymph from the view of predators and parasites, it insulates against heat and cold, thus providing thermal control and also moisture control. Without the froth the bug would quickly dry up. The nymphs pierce plants and suck sap causing damage, and much of the excess filtered fluids go into the production of the froth.

Just buy some Neem Oil dude, save you mixing up all that stuff :yep:

Have a goodone :rofl:

Magoo :wassnnme:

hello all, was searching around but i couldnt find it it there a thread on plants that look like weed to camouflage it? i've got tomatoes growing at the minute, if they get big enough will they hide the weed well enough?

cheers, enzo :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have acess to a large amount of copper pipe and was wondering if it was any good to use as slug protection!? Anyone used it this way before?

Also, I have an idea of clearing a 5x5 m patch at one of my sites. How many plants do you reckon I could fit in this area? Also was thinking about just building one perimeter fence if it would use less chicken wire, has anyone done this before as it seems like most people just make cages for their plants?!

Cheers

~Satta

Alright there satta :yahoo:

I reckon Next year i'm gonna fence the whole patch off just for ease. The cages are perfect for a plant on its own but was time consuming to make and put up. You would only need 20 meters to fence your whole plot

good luck

mungo lol

P.s. Dont think the copper pipe works like the tape

Edited by mungo