The Protection Thread

mr. clean

Yeah ive gone with the copper tape 5 quid for 2 rolls of a well known auction site. It was enough for 20 walls i reckon...

Tested for 2 hours by putting a slug on it. It crawled half way around the wall then over the top, it coulk not go down past the copper. I re-placed it several times infront of the copper it wasnt having any of it.

post-23195-1212076219_thumb.jpg

I also placed it on the copper, it did one long stretch trying not to touch it till it got back onto the plastic...

anyways well see if it works in a few weeks....

Edited by Archangel

Yeah ive gone with the copper tape 5 quid for 2 rolls of a well known auction site. It was enough for 20 walls i reckon...

Tested for 2 hours by putting a slug on it. It crawled half way around the wall then over the top, it coulk not go down past the copper. I re-placed it several times infront of the copper it wasnt having any of it.

post-23195-1212076219_thumb.jpg

I also placed it on the copper, it did one long stretch trying not to touch it till it got back onto the plastic...

anyways well see if it works in a few weeks....

ROLF HAHA thats one way of testing if it works! hope you stamped on it after the test?

Of course the subject was terminated with extreme prejudice.

I studied its habits for half an hour there actually quite pretty when you look at em closely. Came back an hour later and as you can see it went the opposite way of the copper.

My hypothosis was correct and results were postitve thanks Derek.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This my attempt at protecting my plants.

post-33215-1213219060_thumb.jpg

If there is any easle i could please could i have some advice. Thanks

Sensimillia

I had a thought the other day for some slug protection.

You know how people suggest spikey stuff like sand or eggshell around your plants, and you can place a tube or the middle of a plastic bottle around your plants?... How about mixing up paint and/or glue and something sharp like sand, broken glass, iron filings etc. and painting a stripe on the outside of the tube, to put off slugs climbing up it.

Anyone seen or tried anything like this?

Yeah that would work i did something similar to protect my seedlings, poured a perimeter of glue and added stony shayle and salt.

Still my method above is a keeper, easy and flexible to needs...

• 3 weeks later...

taken from another forum

"Diatomaceous earth is an all natural by product of our planet's changing environment. Made up of the fossilized remains of microscopic phtytoplankton, this dirt is an absolute death trap for anything with an exoskeleton. It's also very effective on gastropods (slugs), but not quite as much as on exoskeletal bugs.

The key to DE is it's composition. As the phytoplankton fossilized, they did so with lots of teeny tiny sharp edges poking out. Was the fossilization continued, the shape of the plankton was set into 95-98% silica. As we all know, silica is one of the best dessicants on the market, widely used in those little packets you find in just about everything nowadays.

These jagged edges pierce the waxy protective layer of the exoskeleton, opening the bodily fluids to the dessication effects of the silica. This, obviously, is a very bad thing for the bugs. The bodily fluids are rapidly depleted by the silica, leaving one very dead bug.

Imagine crossing the Sahara, but instead of sand, it's tiny shards of glass, and you get the idea.

To the safety aspect, it doesn't get much better. 100% safe for humans and pets, it's often used to treat medical conditions. In pets (and less food scrupulous humans), it is used as both a flea and tick dust, but also internally to kill off intestinal worms. In the food grade form, the worst side effect from direct inhalation is sneezing. I wouldn't try that with a No-Pest Strip

This safety margin means that it can be applied at any time. It is not a liquid, and so can't effectively be absorbed by the plant via the foliage. Sprinkled on top of the medium, it provides a dual purpose. Fungus gnat larvae live in the medium, coming up through the surface to begin they're life as gnats. With a layer of DE on the surface, they never get the chance. As you water the plant, the DE is driven farther into the medium, where it can be taken up into the plant as a silica supplement, which is good for the plant both in root health and the support structures, making it more resistant to attacks.

I personally use it in a preventative mode, dusting the medium and plant at every transplant. I also dust around every possible entry point, and the entir floor. So, any bug tries to get in, and they die. If it's not at the door, it's on the floor, if they make it across the floor, they die on the container or medium. If they manage to make it to the plant by some freakish luck, the plants themselves have a layer of DE armor."

Hi Mr C...as you mentioned my suggestion on here and i just happen to have finished me practise attempt in me flat i thought i would post some pics .. 1st is the 6in waste pipe that i have nipped all around one circumfrence with a pair of steel fixers nips..2nd is pipe with an inverted strip of masking(slugs'n'snails hate that sticky stuff)...and 3rd is with the mesh around...its 15mm mesh so that will take snails outta the equation...i know there are no deer so thats one ting i don't have to worry bout

post-17320-1178132847_thumb.jpg

post-17320-1178132857_thumb.jpg

do you peeps tink i've got the circumfrence to large?

post-17320-1178132871_thumb.jpg

hope this is of assistance... :)

nice idea, i grow a few in my garden, and hate using chemical deterents, i use nice sturdy flower pots,plastic of course.and cut the bottom off, and use scissors to cut sharp points around the edge, then cut the pot down the side, and put around the plant, then twist it into the ground a little then cover the base with more soil for support, slugs and snails cant get past the points if you make them small enough,about 1 cm high and 5 mill apart.plus everyone's usually got old pots in there shed?

Ideally one would leave slug protecting plastic and rabbit protecting wire until the very end, but I have been thinking that such paraphenalia makes it more odd to someone who might happen upon the area. If they just saw a load of plants there is a good chance they might just ignore them all.

Do you reckon it would be ok to remove all the non-natural protection after they get to a certain height?

Ideally one would leave slug protecting plastic and rabbit protecting wire until the very end, but I have been thinking that such paraphenalia makes it more odd to someone who might happen upon the area. If they just saw a load of plants there is a good chance they might just ignore them all.

Do you reckon it would be ok to remove all the non-natural protection after they get to a certain height?

Hey GJ,

I'm using Vintage Bat Guano, it gives off a pheromone that naturally repels rabbits and dear making it ideal feed for outdoor growing!

Plus Vintage Bat Guano boosts not only the plants yield but also helps to grow healthier plants adding strength and vitality NPK 3:10:2.

Magoo :unsure:

Edited by magoo
  • Like 1

Plus a few bars of soap around the site will deter deer etc.....

Just don't place them to close to the plants.

Magoo :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

hi every one. all my plants are in deer infested fields. often i see deer running away from a plant its been lying next to or see their tracks leading right past a plant. the thing is that so far they've not had even one little nibble so being new to all this i'm wondering if the reports of deer damage are overdone or if i've got major trouble ahead. any advice will be gratefully recieved.