The Protection Thread

mr. clean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
They Chef on the stem and branches, It help keep their teeth growing to long. All rodents gnaw on stuff for the some reason.

Somebody on here told me last year that Rats like to use the plant fibres in there nests too.

Well you learn sumthin new everyday lol

• 2 weeks later...

hello all, just thought i let you know that i think soap next to your outdoorplants is the best way for keep away dear.

i had two plants in a spot which one got toatly eaten and the other was half eaten. well since the second one was half eaten i left a bit of soap on the end of a stick and put the stck into the ground next to my plant. i also had to do this to a diferent spot that another plant had been eaten halfway by a dear. well anyway nuthing has touched them since the soap has been there. and today i visited my plants in the first spot and there were tree dear grazing witthin ten meters of my plant but still going no were near it. i think this prooves that the are defenetly put of by soap!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

hope this is of some help to someboddy.

• Like 1

thanks puff pass, that was suggested in the origional post. it really is worth reading (or at least skimming) b4 u post a reply.

All i would add is that deer tend to be clever, and so tey will become desensitised eventually to jsut about anything which u use all the time, so better to mix up your methods as u use them imo.

Also i would assume that certain deer in certain dodgy modos wouldn't give a dam aout the smell.

Similarily, some slugs just don't care about copper tape imo., and the best defense i found for slugs and insecets was a huge early planted crop big enough to take the damage.

hi all just a quick one i find now about 4 catapillers on me leaves outside when checking them just noticed a leave all curled up when i removed it i tryed opening it and out popped a catapiller will these bugs eat me plants or will they be ok'ish or do i get me bug killer on to me plants ? anyone else found this when doing outside

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest friendly electrician

copper grease may be of use against slugs.

dog repellars can be heard by rabbits. many are battery opperated and incorporate a proximetry sensor to save batterys. possibly harder to spot than a load of mesh. needs to repell dogs though, not rodents or bugs.

just need a mechanic to try the grease, and someone with a dog whistle to test the rabbits.

• 2 months later...
your always gonna get little insect problems outdoors lads, But outdoors things like that dont usually get out of hand becuase of all the predatory insects

around such as Ladybirds etc..

It's not like there in a controlled envrioment is it, just be glad you haven't got Vermin/Rats and Deer to contend with,as they are mofo's to stop. :spliff:

What he said ^ ^ ^ ..... and Ants, wind, cold and rain all wipe out the majority of insect plagues , so you do not usually get anything like the same levels of infestation you see indoors sometimes.

neem oil and copper strips

Neem oil users seem convinced it puts off caterpillars, the main insect enemy here.

Companion planting with Garlic also seems to be a good move for no great hassle

• 4 weeks later...

nice one mate, does look like a good product if it works :wink:

the issue for snails and slugs is the same tho, even if you protect the bottom of plants, you still have to make sure that no surrounding plant material makes a bridge ontoo the gnanja plant as so often happens.

still tho, this is surely a shed load better tha ncopper as a solution, cheaper, resuable and more economically viable long term, even made from recycled plastic! nice :wassnnme:

Anyone out there used them?

Edited by []D [] []v[] []D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

dude seriously wicked thread - I cant tell you how much the garlic and gravel thing is going to help - the chicken wire is common sense and has been done before - but cheers - you're a legend.

e2a Also I never thought of human urine - nice, I knew predator urine would do, but what predators of deer do we have here? hahahah so thanks for that

Edited by JimmyBlazingBass

• 1 month later...
I've just found these little beauties at my local garden center and i think it's gonna be perfect for us outdoor growers.

http://www.just-green.com/index.php?cPath=69_149

might get a little expensive if you got a lot of plants but if you've only got 1 or 2 then these are gonna be perfect.

they changed the addy so here's a new addy to for the slug and snail stop

http://www.just-green.com/ProductDetails/m...36-37c288c754e7

Would it be worth putting a ring of common table salt around your plant to kill slugs etc ?

possibly, but it could wash away/blow away with wind ,rain and all that stuff ect

your safer with copper tape around your plants, they dont like that i dont think

greg