The Protection Thread

mr. clean

Thanks for the advice pals

Hopefully its gonna be a good year, my first outdoor grow lol

Just in the middle of re-building my wheels actually :smoke:

• 3 weeks later...

hello every body i am new hear so please be gentil :offtopic: . i have found that the best way to deal with pests with 2 legs is 2 distract them with something moor interesting e.g if i have a path leading 2 my grow then i will offten put somthing on the other side off the main track 2 draw there atention away from my grow it don't eaven have 2 be that obvious some times just a signe you would find in meany woods or a plant that looks out off place i have allso b4 now eaven left a bunch off flowers under a tree on the other side all off these seam to work very well . give it a go it works a treat

• 4 weeks later...

Slugs and ducks

Did anyone see the Natural World programme on the BBC yesterday about low energy farming?

There was a bit where this one farmer used ducks to keep the slugs in check on his farm rather than using chemical poisons, and I think this matched my experience with last year's guerilla grow: Last year I really didn't have a problem with slugs at all with my plot on the edge of a pool which is home to ducks. Even though I did see a couple of small slugs last year on my plants, I didn't notice any plant damage from them.

Wikipedia also says ducks eat molluscs, which is what slugs are: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Duck#Feeding . As I was lazy and didn't bother putting up the chicken wire I'd bought around my plants the ducks would have been able to get right around and in between my plants, which would have helped them get right at any slugs on the plants.

On iplayer the programme is at bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hs8zp/Natural_World_20082009_A_Farm_for_the_Future/ , but it won't be there for very long, I think (a week, a month, dunno?). I'm downloading the programme now (using the iphone hole to get DRM free programmes) and will cut out the clip and put it on youtube.

So, if you can't beat the slugs maybe try a plot near ducks' habitats! I did put down slug pellets last year too, but this year I won't be doing so.

Oh yeah, I also occurred to me to possibly create a bit of a habitat for hedgehogs at my plots, as I think they eat slugs too. Anyone got any ideas on that? Good ol' Wikipedia says Hedgehogs eat snails, so I'd imagine they'd eat a slug given the opportunity: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Hedgehog#Diet .

Here's the clip from programme, but all it really is a bird taking a dump, then some people saying that ducks eat slugs! But it was on TV, so it must be true :yahoo:

I needed something to learn how to use the basics of Cinelerra, and this was a good excuse B)

BTW, if you hate flash as much as I do and so don't install it on your computer, just copy the video's link and download it through keepvid.com, then play the video with your choice of video player (mplayer, VLC, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
taken from another forum

"Diatomaceous earth is an all natural by product of our planet's changing environment. Made up of the fossilized remains of microscopic phtytoplankton, this dirt is an absolute death trap for anything with an exoskeleton. It's also very effective on gastropods (slugs), but not quite as much as on exoskeletal bugs.

This stuff also kills all the beneficial insects and should be avoided by all environment conscious growers. It is also a horrible way to die.

"nemaslug" just seen this stuff on ebay and it seems the absolute bollocks, has anyone used it ?

joe

This takes awhile to get into the slug and kill it which is why you should use it on your site before you plant to give it time to work its way into the slug population. it needs re doing every 6 weeks or after very heavy rain and works quite well. make sure you water it in over a wide area.

anyone know if pennies can be used to keep slugs out?

our pennies have changed to a composite metal which is why they are now magnetic so the answer would be no.

Using beer, its the yeast that attracts the slugs it also attracts other beneficial insects and kills them so should not be used either.

If you are spending time at your grow over night wait till its dark and then using a torch go and pick the buggers up, make sure that you either kill the buggers or move them far away, especially snails because these will make their way back home!

i have not done a guerrilla grow but have been gardening for 30 odd years, the rest of the info on here is well worth a read.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robert Plant

this is going to be my first guerilla grow, done 3 plants in the back garden before but thats it. Now ive got a nice secluded site but the only problem is theres a fair few roe deer about there, i know because i hunt the land around there. I have access to dog :D and also cat :P in LARGE quantities( dont ask :) ) do you think itll keep the deer away :)

ive tried to source some 'silent roar' but no where around here sells it, im also gonna hang some bars of soap about the place as well. I know ill have too keep topping up the :ninja: for it to be effective but im not realy wanting to be goin to the site more than once a month dyu think that will be enough?

cheers guys, roll on the summer B)

Easiest way to keep rabbits off your plants,not rocket science just practical,never lost a plant to bunnies once I pop a wire mesh protector over the plants :ninja:

Guest Robert Plant

found this while trawling through gardening sites at deer repellents, ill be trying this out :unsure:

I have had really good luck with this Kopy Kat liquid fence recipe. Once in a while I will sprinkle some blood meal to keep the deer guessing. It even keeps the deer out of my corn. I have been using this for the last 4 years. The deer will look, but they don't come near enough to eat. Just sprinkle it all around the perimeter of your garden. I re-sprinkle about once a month. If you live where it rains a lot, you may have to use it more often.

Copy Kat Deer and Rabbit Repellent

There is a version of "Liquid Fence" on the market. I found this works just as well, just you have to use it more quickly due to it not having the preservatives in it. It smells bad when you apply it--this is your warning!! You will need 5 one gallon containers to mix this up. Fast and easy.

4 to 6 eggs

1 lg head of garlic, chopped

5 gallons of water

Any hot pepper you may have in the house

Put eggs, garlic and pepper in a blender with some water and blend until well mixed. Empty mixture in one of the gallon containers. Fill the container with water and mix well. Distribute the mixture into the other 4 containers until all 5 containers are equal.

Fill all 5 containers with water and set in the sun for 3 days to "ripen".

Sprinkle around the perimeter of the area you want to protect. You can also strain some mixture and put it into a spray bottle to spray on plants that might need extra treatment. Retreat every month or after a hard rain.

I have also mixed in onions. I don’t know if it helped or not. I think the eggs and garlic is enough.

From what I have read, it helps to change the recipe every once in a while, so the deer don’t get used to it. You can add milk, dish soap or salad oil in to help it work better

Worth a try RP :unsure: I have seen an urban Muntjac in a north London garden walk down a path that the day before had been scrubbed with a Jeyes fluid solution,obviously had a blocked nose that day :rofl:

Easiest way to keep rabbits off your plants,not rocket science just practical,never lost a plant to bunnies once I pop a wire mesh protector over the plants :)

you don't have deer near your grow spots i take it BP .. those mesh cages would'nt stop a deer having a go at them .. :wink:

Loads of cervids round here mate,even got a few in the freezer :wink: theres fallow,roe,and munties in the area but none can get into that garden :)

You have to be a pretty determined cervid to ford deep running water for a nibble on a plant :unsure: