The Protection Thread

mr. clean

Guest alrightdave

so youve got ya plant protection sorted, a pair of safety goggles or glasses to protect your eyes, especially if ya visit at night cos a branch in the eye feckin hurts. :doh:

• 1 month later...

i was thinking of diggin a small trench around my plots about 10cm wide and 30cm deep , to stop slugs and snails and small rodents .Do you think this would work?

Also a larger 1 for rippers lmao.

i was thinking of diggin a small trench around my plots about 10cm wide and 30cm deep , to stop slugs and snails and small rodents .Do you think this would work?

Also a larger 1 for rippers lmao.

wasting your time fella :yinyang:

peace out farmer boy

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, how do you lot transport your cages to the site? I find it really really difficult dragging shit loads of pre made chicken wire cages through the bush, any ideas?

e2a because they always get caught on branches and shit

Edited by treeofsatta

i always carry them in a large (55ltr) racksack. i find living in such a busy place, if i just look like your average shift worker, visiting my plots in rush hour is more discreet than roaming around in the middle of the night. i transprt my plants in an empty lager case in the evening too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nunsacred

I make mine in advance, using 2 or 3 u-shaped nails to hammer the join of the wire 'tube' to the stake.

Carrying chicken wire roll and stakes is a pain anyway so might as well pre-make them I reckon.

I tread it flat, then fold sides in and tread flat again. The folds can be quite easily unbent and pulled into round shape again at site without any difficulty. Each takes about 1 minute.

Can now carry a lot of these under one arm but they don't really fit in any of my bags and of course the bottoms of the stakes are pointy and the chicken wire can get snagged .... Not the easiest things to handle.

So I make sure I get all of them out to sites before I need to be carrying plants, never both at once.

Guest 420Farmer

I roll mine up as tight as i can then tie them up with some string. get about 12 in my bag like that but my cages are only a 1ft high or so but thats all i need. Then just open em up, tie a cane on them and poke in ground, really quick and easy.

Edited by 420Farmer

I use that plastic coated mesh stuff. Much easier to make cages with and offers more camo. I pre cut them then roll them up tight and hold together with a zip tie. When i get to site i just cut the zip tie and roll it out, adding 3 zip ties along the joint.

Peace :yawn:

hi mr clean,

old mad eyes here.... just picked up on all this info ur puttin out and have yet to digest , but i will , alas i have no home to call my own so it is so important for me to apply the professional touch to this are, i begin an outdoor novice and i feel my rookie year is goona be all absorbing , thanks for the knowlege...........sweet , ill be posting a diary soon , this should be a hoot lol

• 1 month later...
Guest Nunsacred

... certain deer in certain dodgy modos wouldn't give a dam about the smell.

Similarily, some slugs just don't care about copper tape imo., and the best defense i found for slugs and insects was a huge early planted crop big enough to take the damage.

This is what inspires me to plant early, and use a big circle of slug barrier grit around outside of the rabbit wire.

Been around the property this afternoon and now find I have wild boar active in the area :guitar: I will never moan about bunnies again :unsure:

Edited by Bad Penny.

Been around the property this afternoon and now find I have wild boar active in the area :guitar: I will never moan about bunnies again :unsure:

In adversity old boy, just think about the meat wild boar mmmmmmmmmmm.There is always a upside.

Hang on i have just remembered you are scared of pigs.In that case good luck :rofl:

i have just remembered you are scared of pigs

Only the pink domesticated variety mate,the local ones here are big,black and hairy,I have dated similar women so these dont phase me :ninja: Already planning their demise if they but knew it :ninja: