The Protection Thread

mr. clean

bit of copper wire wrapped round bottom of main stem like a spring stops the slugs from climming onto your plants

• Like 1

egg shells round your plants are good.... i use them in the garden.... make sure you wash them well before using though...

egg shells round your plants are good.... i use them in the garden.... make sure you wash them well before using though...

Ok cheers for all the replies.

Hi all,

Just to keep this topic sort and sweet.

Does anybody know what copper things work well at the base of plants to stop slugs and snails climbing,

Hazy uses copper pipe flattened and rerolled and i am sure someone onced posted about copper tape. (this would be a really big help if anybody knew where i might get that)

Plants go out tomorrow and ive not given this a minute thought....... :wink:

Any help would be greatfully excepted..

Dex.............Peace.............. :unsure:

Many thanks for a quick reply,

is this what it is really used for or is it some thing just Mj growers have come up with?

How much does it cost also?

Hate going in to grow centers and asking for things i know nothing about, they always seem to ask what its for B)

Well many thanks again

Peace...........Dex..............

Brothers of UK420 you are............stars..............Life Savers...............And...........Plants savers..............

Going out to find some be back shortly.........

Many thanks again

Peace.................. Dex.....................

Edited by Dex1

would sitting a plant pot on a copper plate do any harm to your plant with the up take of water & ferts.

i'm growing a few out side & was thinking a copper plate would keeps slugs of ya plant pot.

but i'm going with all the precaution i've read to make doubley sure like the copper tape round the plant pot & copper coil round the base of the stems about 3 inc in height & was thinking a scattering of broken egg shells on top of soil.

Slugs and snails are certainly a problem for the outdoor grower. If young plants are attacked by them the result can be devastation. Whilst they are vulnerable you need protection that works, and in my experience that means pellets. I know that they are not everyones choice but I've tried the beer traps, sharp gravel, and going out with a torch and physically removing all I could find. Waste of bloody time! The pellets certainly survive for 2-3 showery days and for them to be effective you really don't need to put that many around your plants, as little as 1 every 10cms (4 inch) works as the slugs/snails prefer pellets to plants, the aroma attracts the slimeball to the pellet, they eat, they die (a tad slowly it seems, but ah well fuck 'em). Once your plants have reached a certain size the need for protection from these pests diminishes, thus the need to use the pellets diminishes, so you're not poisoning the enviroment all summer long. The jury is still out on copper tape, its possibly only effective when brand new, and its expensive. If you want to try copper why not make your own rings with stripped electrical wire? Damn sight cheaper. Best Wishes to all the 2008 Guerrilla Growers.

Guest GH0STWITHTH3M0ST
Two sided sticky tape sprinkled with salt is the way im going this year...

i was just thinking of salt... but i figured it would all wash away. sticky tape would do the trick untill it rained. think the copper tape works better?