The Protection Thread

mr. clean

its a slug rap chaps

having problems to slugs so today im gonna use this method....

place a buried half can of john smiths close to your plant they love the smell and taste

and the buried vessel containing the liquid becomes a watery grave for the suckers try this it works..

Guest BlessMyBuds

Here is how to safeguard from rabbits and rodents for free. I use black thorn, and comon bramble to make a rabbit barrier very simple and very effective. simply find some long brambles cut them into single lengths of about 3ft. Then place one end 6" into the ground then bend the other end down and place into the ground about 12" away from the first one.Now repeat until you have a ring of loops around your plant or plot. Now weave the black thorn horizontally across and through the brambles. If you chose to use my method remember to secure your slug ring first and try and use the fresh green brambles rather than the dead ones. It's more pliable and last longer than the dead brittle stuff. :) I hope this is of some help

Here is how to safeguard from rabbits and rodents for free. I use black thorn, and comon bramble to make a rabbit barrier very simple and very effective. simply find some long brambles cut them into single lengths of about 3ft. Then place one end 6" into the ground then bend the other end down and place into the ground about 12" away from the first one.Now repeat until you have a ring of loops around your plant or plot. Now weave the black thorn horizontally across and through the brambles. If you chose to use my method remember to secure your slug ring first and try and use the fresh green brambles rather than the dead ones. It's more pliable and last longer than the dead brittle stuff. :) I hope this is of some help

think ill stick with my cage's !

peace out farmer boy

• Like 1

Guest BlessMyBuds

think ill stick with my cage's !

peace out farmer boy

cool farmer boy it can be long,but i dont mind putting the work in i enjoy it and the £40-£80 i save on mesh simply means more top quality beans to grow :)

Hi Mr C...as you mentioned my suggestion on here and i just happen to have finished me practise attempt in me flat i thought i would post some pics .. 1st is the 6in waste pipe that i have nipped all around one circumfrence with a pair of steel fixers nips..2nd is pipe with an inverted strip of masking(slugs'n'snails hate that sticky stuff)...and 3rd is with the mesh around...its 15mm mesh so that will take snails outta the equation...i know there are no deer so thats one ting i don't have to worry bout

post-17320-1178132847_thumb.jpg

post-17320-1178132857_thumb.jpg

do you peeps tink i've got the circumfrence to large?

post-17320-1178132871_thumb.jpg

hope this is of assistance... :P

Thank you so much i will be using your great idea.

Guest BlessMyBuds

Hi Mr C...as you mentioned my suggestion on here and i just happen to have finished me practise attempt in me flat i thought i would post some pics .. 1st is the 6in waste pipe that i have nipped all around one circumfrence with a pair of steel fixers nips..2nd is pipe with an inverted strip of masking(slugs'n'snails hate that sticky stuff)...and 3rd is with the mesh around...its 15mm mesh so that will take snails outta the equation...i know there are no deer so thats one ting i don't have to worry bout

post-17320-1178132847_thumb.jpg

post-17320-1178132857_thumb.jpg

do you peeps tink i've got the circumfrence to large?

post-17320-1178132871_thumb.jpg

hope this is of assistance... :P

Hello m8 why so big i dont get it. And whats with the sticky tape man. Maybe you know something i dont but you can just use two litre coke bottles cut into strips with (COPPER TAPE)round the top rim. if your useing pot just put the tape round the pot.

Thank you so much i will be using your great idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nunsacred

Had a eureka moment last night.

Suddenly occurred to me to use sheet of sandpaper around the base of the plant stem.

Could even use circular piece pre-made for a sanding disk. :)

Easy, cheap, lightweight, probably last all season........ Will give it a go.

I just got some rigid green plastic 2" hole mesh 500mm high, curled it round tied and staked, perfect, just got back from planting 3 plants and it`s hard to see from 10ft too :guitar:

E2a, it will be just right for scrogging indoors if it`s still there later :ninja:

Edited by ratdog

Has anyone mentioned elder? sambucus nigra.

When you cut a branch of it the leaves become noxious .However the slugs are attracted to it and eat it , then they drop off.Might be handy for some people to drop a bundle of elder leaves around the plot.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Well lads, the time is getting close and the weather's warming up!

Why did my last post get edited and the info removed?

Anyway, i won't post the links again but, do a search on eGay for "deer repellent". There are namely two products I noticed; a battery powered High-frequency pulse emitter & a powdered mix to apply to the area.

I was just hoping someone might have used similar products and if the pulse emitter works, it seems like a great idea for only £20!

Peace!

hi mate i have just brought a deer high pulse emitter so will let you know if it works :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

My plants have been swarmed with green fly/black fly & aphids

A spray of a multypurpose bug killer got rid of them overnight but the black eggs still forming, suppose ill have to get them outa the ghouse.....

I use that plastic coated mesh stuff. Much easier to make cages with and offers more camo. I pre cut them then roll them up tight and hold together with a zip tie. When i get to site i just cut the zip tie and roll it out, adding 3 zip ties along the joint.

Peace :yawn:

I use the same gear, green coated chicken mesh, but instead of zip ties I just snip a couple of the hexagon shapes in the wire and when I roll the stuff up into a tube shape, I fold a few of the snipped edges over the other edge. No need for zip ties and more sharp bits poking out to deter deer.