The Protection Thread

mr. clean

Good call, utokia. That's pretty cheap.

I don't know how it compares to other products (it is the mesh type)... but 18m seems like a lot for the money. It seems you usually get 4m for £10 elsewhere, but for 'solid' copper. Check on the lidl website which of your local stores have the gardening stuff in stock at the mo - as they do rotate promotions (altho they also sometimes keep some specials lingering in some stores)...

edit: pics of my purchases here: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=90536

Edited by utokia

• 5 weeks later...

This is a good online guide for protection against browsers:

hxxp://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/3580

Voles are a particular pest and very common in areas of long grass. I suspect much damage attributed to rabbits may come from these little bundles of fun. Make sure the holes in any netting or mesh are small enough to keep them at bay....

I just got a book today called "50 ways to protect against slugs" its a very good read i think and contains some good ways to repel the slugs, a trap which involves a grapefruit is brilliant i think!

• 2 weeks later...

i found that that on chicken wire or rabbit wirenot quite sure, that large snails could not get through the small holes/climb up the thing wire, dont think it stopped small/baby snails though, at least its damage limitation :blub:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deathrow558

Is Enamelled Copper Wire still ok for stopping slugs or does the enamell stop it from working?

Cheers guys.

Is Enamelled Copper Wire still ok for stopping slugs or does the enamell stop it from working?

Cheers guys.

It doesn't work with isolated wire, it has to be blank. There is a copper spray available tho, I've been told. I use my luck with crushed neem seed. It hardens the plants off and makes them less attractive for slugs and insects. It's a safe, natural product.

more on neem here: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?show...=0#entry1001955

Edited by aventinusdampf

Guest Mr white

I say this all the time but pellets kick the shit outta slugs. You can get organic ones too. You may have to keep applying them though say every few weeks if it rains a lot.

yeah the pellets work wonders for me too, they sorta fizz the slugs away, with snails you just find empty shells in the morning, with little bubbly crap inside, but i am thinking of investing in some coper tape, as its one less thing to worry bout, instead of dragging yourself to the site every time it rains (which has been way too oftewn lateley) anwyay i am only getting the tape once i got em in their final pots.

until then i rely on pellets ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will slug pellets keep slugs away from my plant?

Just a quick question and hope if someone can answer that for me, thanks

HAHAHA :wassnnme:

that is their main purpose :unsure:

Nah seriously, use a heavy amount of them if you dont trust em but they most likeely will do the job, chances are it wasnt noir realey slugs that destroyed your last plants, other creepy crawlies and rabbits could be the main problem, also if your really really worried about slugs then get some copper tape as well as pellets, then if your plant gets attacked you can be sue it isnt by slugs :yinyang:

Guest Blabblabberbab

Save the planet man! slug pellets are really nasty ;)

If you're into more organic ways of growing, try beer traps and similar - at least give them a good time as you kill them ;) ;)

B lol

with the beer u mention sure is a waste of beer for those little horrible slugs i have to go out at night at the mo to check on mine as had a couple of leaves eaton by slugs but they go on a flying trip with me over the street they fly from my shit scooper i know this is bad but man u should see them go and it gives me pleasure seeing them go !!!

Thanks guys,

I wasnt sure if they killed them straight away or it was a long term thing :headbang:

But anyways im gonna put some down and put dow some copper tape too.

l0l Skunk slugs defo killed my last plants as i saw them all over my plants high as a mofucka!

anyways im off sweet guys

• 2 weeks later...