Butane Honey Oil

grobag

11 minutes ago, potato1356 said:

7.1g total yield :thumsup:lollollol

nice one last time i bought a 7 g slab .

we done it in 10 days ..........................but were new to this and like kids in a sweet shop.

loving you work bro

• Like 3

This post almost tempts me to get the closed loop out again....almost. I've really enjoyed the diversity of product I got from bho. Vac oven was the biggest step forward, followed by my makeshift freeze dryer. 

I've definitely got live rosin to the point where it matches the quality of my live bho runs but haven't been able to match the precision and predictability I had with the bho. The quality, ease and safety of freeze dried bubble hash rosin means I am too lazy to stop making it for the time being.

This was one of my bho faves that became my staple. Very stable and easy to handle:

large.20171113_184433.jpglarge.20171113_184340.jpg

Think that's mandarine cookies. It turns out exactly like old school honeycomb sweets.

Same bud, but some shatter:

large.20171021_143920-1494x2656.jpg

Both bho and rosin are a nice mix of art & science, but for me the rosin is still more art until I get to further understand the results of what I'm doing. I've quite liked mixing my terps, live rosin and THCA solventless.

I do prefer the rosin still. Evidenced by the layer of dust on my bho kit. Try not to think about the eye watering amount of money I threw at it!!

Your diamonds are something else fella, they fascinate me. Never tried it but always meant to. Top drawer stuff man :yep:

• Like 8

@FarmerPalmersNT that honeycomb is nuts!:thumsup: - how do you achieve that texture?

the shatter is a little dark for my liking, but you said it's rosin right? usually darker than bho anyway...

I have had one sensational rosin dab mind - mango amber but tasted like lemondrop sweets and fresh mineral water - delightful. So I'm not giving up on it, but I have to go with the science - currently BHO wins for me. 

• Like 2

@potato1356   Sorry for a really stupid question but here goes. You are closed loop, so does this mean that as you collect the butane you are able to keep reusing it each time (with a small loss each time expected?)

I did say it was a dumb question. 

• Like 2

Next stage of the rig extension....

Here is my new top valve setup - dual input as I'm now working with nitrogen as well....
large.45263874_345116842923328_6414617442798010368_n.jpg

Here are pictures of how it was before - a single valve in....

large.41097900_1831823383601700_7932647726326480896_n.jpglarge.41045746_290135215132309_8994388638607343616_n.jpglarge.40838672_302291013686665_912623663558164480_n.jpg

Now I can keep my tube chilled and still push all my gas through without heating anything - not the gas chamber or the tube - increase in yield and quality. 

The oxygen free nitrogen canister and regulator arrive tomorrow.... 

I'll be using the nitrogen to bring pressure up in the diamond mine to 100psi to massively speed up rock formation, and to push final solvents through my system when extracting.

I thought I needed the fat tube with the dry ice dump - but to be honest I now see that dumping ice is inferior tech, therefore I'm steering clear. 

onwards and upwards!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, potato1356 said:

@FarmerPalmersNT that honeycomb is nuts!:thumsup: - how do you achieve that texture?

the shatter is a little dark for my liking, but you said it's rosin right? usually darker than bho anyway...

I have had one sensational rosin dab mind - mango amber but tasted like lemondrop sweets and fresh mineral water - delightful. So I'm not giving up on it, but I have to go with the science - currently BHO wins for me. 

Nope, shatter is bho I'm pretty sure. Hard to remember! The darkness is from a very long cure iirc. 

Honeycomb stuff was achieved by warm vac purging, whipping, room temp vac purging, whipping and sticking in a cool vac, then with the vac still held freezing the whole chamber with it all puffed up. Leave for ages, then very slowly release vac. Once it's done it's really stable.

Looks like you've the bho nailed mate. I think which type you prefer has a lot to do with the one you prefer making.

ETA, that is a very nice setup indeed dude. 

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

@potato1356   Sorry for a really stupid question but here goes. You are closed loop, so does this mean that as you collect the butane you are able to keep reusing it each time (with a small loss each time expected?)

I did say it was a dumb question. 

Exactly. 

I distill my gas first in one chamber, then transfer it to it's permanent vessel. 

from this vessel it blasts down through a hose, through a metal tube, into a collection chamber at the bottom. 

once it's all in there (solvent with extract dissolved in it), I seal off that section. 

Then I move the gas chamber from the top of the tube to connect directly to the bottom tank via 2 braided hoses. 

Then I stop chilling the chamber with the solvent in, and start cooling the empty gas chamber. 

I then warm the chamber with the solution in to build pressure, and once pressure in the chamber hits a certain point, I open the valves that lead to the gas chamber, and the gas moves from the hot place to the cold place. 

once nearly all butane is recovered I re-seal connections, disconnect everything and pour out the extract and begin purging. 

Hope this clarifies :) 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Nope, shatter is bho I'm pretty sure. Hard to remember! The darkness is from a very long cure iirc. 

Honeycomb stuff was achieved by warm vac purging, whipping, room temp vac purging, whipping and sticking in a cool vac, then with the vac still held freezing the whole chamber with it all puffed up. Leave for ages, then very slowly release vac. Once it's done it's really stable.

Looks like you've the bho nailed mate. I think which type you prefer has a lot to do with the one you prefer making.

ETA, that is a very nice setup indeed dude. 

Long cure makes sense....

Lovely details there - I'll give it a try soon! 

not nailed yet - many part of my process need refinement, but I am nearly finished a special cave I've built just for all of this, so that'll aid things...

I'm very lucky and grateful for it - she is fast becoming my pride and joy :D 

• Like 5

Final stage of my first attempt at diamonds.... 

So I've seen some formation, but nowhere near what I expected so far, but...

NITROGEN TO THE RESCUE (hopefully)

hooked it up to a friend's tank as mine hasn't arrived yet, and pushed that puppy from 40 psi to 120, then back down to 100.

It's now in the water bath at 28ºC at 120PSI

Here's hoping there is a nice reaction....

large.45367085_240905196778723_4900913136229416960_n.jpglarge.45173278_481610222326452_1938139189576990720_n.jpg

and a fresh batch of oil made from post-blasted material ready for the purge - 

large.45342070_183690065909603_6908919825825792000_n.jpg

• Like 5

@potato1356   Remember how your mummy told you about sharing? I don't want to alarm you but look out of your front door. See that queue? That's all us UK420ers all with our bags of buds we've brought round to play with your space age extraction setup. 

You didn't have plans for tonight did you?:)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, monkeypig said:

@potato1356   Remember how your mummy told you about sharing? I don't want to alarm you but look out of your front door. See that queue? That's all us UK420ers all with our bags of buds we've brought round to play with your space age extraction setup. 

You didn't have plans for tonight did you?:)

Bring round the harvest, a bag of good smoke, some craft ale - pay for me dry ice and we'll make an evening of it hahaha ;) 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, potato1356 said:

a bag of good smoke, some craft ale - pay for me dry ice

this sounds like the start of a dodgy joke :hippy:

• Like 1

And The first of 9 Ken's kush (my #4 pheno - most sativa dominant, berries, woody, plum) - plucked and now being frozen ready for a live resin extraction!!!

she came out at 540g wet flower, grown in organic soil under basic HPS in a cold loft - she's done exceptionally well! 

large.45237260_252980985574427_7122462722154823680_n.jpg

Pictures of the results soon.....

• Like 5