First ever grow

disco survivor

Just now, disco survivor said:

Do I need to pollinate using the cotton bud method?

There's a number of ways to continue.

You could leave her(now him) where it is and allow the pollen to do whatever it wants.

I can't tell from the photo if it still has any female flowers on it??

You could try to pollinate any remaining female flowers(with pistils) on it to allow it to make seeds.

Or you could remove some of the stalks of male flowers and take them inside to continue flowering,

they don't need to be rooted a container of water will be enough for them on a windowsill,

then you can collect the pollen and use it where you want instead of it just doing it's own thing in the wind :) 

It usually takes around 3 - 4 weeks for a female plant to make good seeds,

so if you just want a few seeds and some bud you can pollinate a couple of branches around 3 or 4 weeks before the plant is due for harvest.

Or if you want just a load of seeds you could dust an entire female plant once it's in peak bloom :naughty:

It's possible to store pollen in the freezer,

just make sure it's dry as moisture will stop the pollen from being viable,

I think it stays viable for up to a year(maybe a bit less).

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 3

I've not reversed any plants myself but the photos I've seen generally show male and female flowers on the same plant whereas yours appears to be 100% male flowers? If that's correct it wont be able to pollinate itself.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, latigid aikon said:

I've not reversed any plants myself but the photos I've seen generally show male and female flowers on the same plant whereas yours appears to be 100% male flowers? If that's correct it wont be able to pollinate itself.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a proper look tomorrow. If the plant is exclusively male, I'll pollinate a few branches on one of the other autos. This year is my first and I want to cram as much in as possible. As well as feminised seed production, I want to learn how to harvest, dry and trim the bud. I'd also like to screen some of the trimmings and see if I can produce hash (even if it's only a tiny amount). Loving every minute of it though.

• Like 2

Just now, disco survivor said:

see if I can produce hash (even if it's only a tiny amount).

It's easy to make hash, the trick is to not get greedy and end up with a larger quantity of lower quality end product. So if you'll be pleased with a tiny amount you are half way there already lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disco survivor said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a proper look tomorrow. If the plant is exclusively male, I'll pollinate a few branches on one of the other autos. This year is my first and I want to cram as much in as possible. As well as feminised seed production, I want to learn how to harvest, dry and trim the bud. I'd also like to screen some of the trimmings and see if I can produce hash (even if it's only a tiny amount). Loving every minute of it though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the autos already are pollinated. All them sacks on the reversed plant, I’m guessing some have popped open by now.

If you only want to pollinate a few branches on your autos , I’d remove that reversed plant (full of sacks plants) from the greenhouse and put him in a plastic greenhouse on its own or inside on a windowsill 

Otherwise all the buds on the auto fems will be pollinated and there might be stray pollen in there that could blow on the photo when that starts flowering 

• Like 2

I would personally get the male the hell away from all the other plants as it will likely pop all over every girl you have in there and your just going to end up with seedy nothing, and as far as i'm aware (and i don't know a lot so take it with a pinch of salt, as it may only be relevant to indoor grows) the pollen sticks around for a long time and can end up contaminating your next grow wether you like it or not..., i'm sure someone will be able to better advise on this than me though Mr.Fawlty ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shumroom said:

It usually takes around 3 - 4 weeks for a female plant to make good seeds

i would say 5 weeks ime

• Like 1

@MoT @crazy-sheep Thanks for the advice. I removed the auto from the greenhouse before carrying out the STS experiment. It's in a small greenhouse of its own, well away from the other plants.

large.64ac65a36586e_cbd107236.jpg

• Like 4

I dunno if it's been mentioned or not,

but weed flowered in greenhouses/polytunnels is notorious for budrot due to a lack of air circulation.

It's something you'll need to take steps to avoid as the buds get fatter.

Atb

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shumroom said:

I dunno if it's been mentioned or not,

but weed flowered in greenhouses/polytunnels is notorious for budrot due to a lack of air circulation.

It's something you'll need to take steps to avoid as the buds get fatter.

Atb

Thanks. I'll have a look at the main greenhouse today. I'll see if I can retro fit a couple of "Louvre" windows at ground level. The small plastic greenhouse will be an easy fix. I'll cut slats into the sides and back of the plastic and protect with duct tape to stop the cuts from spreading. 

• Like 2

Sorry to be a pain guys but I really need to get this right.

Every clump of male flowers on my feminized auto (STS sprayed) has one of these structures at the base. It's a small pod with 2 hair like structures growing from it (possibly pistils?). Are these female flowers?

I really don't want to germinate perfectly good bud in order to get feminized seeds if I don't have to. If this plant is a stand alone seed producing machine, I'll be made up !!

Any advice as usual will be greatly appreciated.:yep:

large.64ae64a63fb0a_cbd107238.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, that's what we call a 'preflower' and it is indeed female, I'm sure there is a technical term for them that I don't know, there should be something similar at every node. They form much earlier so they must have been unaffected by the reversal.

They're not the main female flowers but they can be pollinated so with those your plant should be able to produce seeds all by itself.

• Like 2

You use pairs of plants (or more) for reversals...

ie... You reverse  1 plant  for  the  pollen donor  and keep 1  clean for receiving pollen from the reversed plant(s)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

Yes, that's what we call a 'preflower' and it is indeed female, I'm sure there is a technical term for them that I don't know, there should be something similar at every node. They form much earlier so they must have been unaffected by the reversal.

They're not the main female flowers but they can be pollinated so with those your plant should be able to produce seeds all by itself.

Thank you :yep:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HazyDaze said:

You use pairs of plants (or more) for reversals...

ie... You reverse  1 plant  for  the  pollen donor  and keep 1  clean for receiving pollen from the reversed plant(s)

Thank you. Definitely going to do this next time. All a huge learning curve but loving every minute.

• Like 1