First ever grow

disco survivor

29 minutes ago, OldFord said:

Eyes aint the greatest but to me its def an auto and def in flower ,   looks normal mate.     Prob not what you wanted to hear but what im seeing :yep:    

Thanks for the reply. I've got a fresh batch of chemicals now so won't be so slow off the mark next time

• Like 2

DAY 37 UPDATE:

Image 1: As it's my very first grow I'll give myself some slack regarding novice mistakes. The photo (free seed so thought it was an Auto, the same as the ones I'd ordered) is taking over already. How big do these things get !! I'm going to have to get creative with training that one (just to the right of the number 1 in the image)

Image 2: Everything seems to be in order? 

Image 3: Afghan poppies are bigger than ever. They bring so much life to the garden, bees EVERYWHERE !!

Image 4: This is the Auto I isolated for the STS spray experiment but failed to start the spraying early enough. No seed sacks that I can see but doesn't look like I've harmed the plant in any way. Certainly filling the £15 greenhouse :yep:

large.649a8779a971c_cbd276231.jpglarge.649a877b4047d_cbd276232.jpglarge.649a877013c7e_peoneyblackpoppy2.jpglarge.649a877cca4c4_cbd276234.jpg

• Like 5

Everything looks very happy & healthy sir :yep:      Autos well under way and flourishing  ,  the fems spreading herself out and your possibly in for a challenge with her :george:

I would be ditching the poly g/h now and get her out ,  or cut / roll up the sides when she gets flowering.    Gives the main a top covering.

RQS site says the Tattanka cbd get up past 1.5mtrs  & looking at her shes wanting to spread herself out :yep:   

If it were mine i would cut the g/h leaving a top cap and let her spread her wings ,  as its not and yours ... the very best of luck with her lol  

Just keep the autos as happy as they are now and you will smash it mate !      

The poppies stunning :yep:      I have a few varieites but not seen that cultivar before  ,  thanks for sharing.  

• Like 2

All looking lush green and healthy might be a newcomer but you've clearly got green fingers. 

I would expect an outdoor photo to at least double in size from whatever it is at this time of year, especially one without root restriction (iirc those are bottomless pots?). 

You can always give her a bit of a preemptive trim back, but do it soon.  

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, OldFord said:

Everything looks very happy & healthy sir :yep:      Autos well under way and flourishing  ,  the fems spreading herself out and your possibly in for a challenge with her :george:

I would be ditching the poly g/h now and get her out ,  or cut / roll up the sides when she gets flowering.    Gives the main a top covering.

RQS site says the Tattanka cbd get up past 1.5mtrs  & looking at her shes wanting to spread herself out :yep:   

If it were mine i would cut the g/h leaving a top cap and let her spread her wings ,  as its not and yours ... the very best of luck with her lol  

Just keep the autos as happy as they are now and you will smash it mate !      

The poppies stunning :yep:      I have a few varieites but not seen that cultivar before  ,  thanks for sharing.  

Thanks for the great advice.

I've got Hungarian Blue and Black Peony (in the image) growing. Getting a lot of resin from both but the Black Peony probably edges it for latex production. Will be adding the dried resin to some coconut oil today and testing to see how effective it is as a pain relief cream.

• Like 2

Just now, MindSoup said:

All looking lush green and healthy might be a newcomer but you've clearly got green fingers. 

I would expect an outdoor photo to at least double in size from whatever it is at this time of year, especially one without root restriction (iirc those are bottomless pots?). 

You can always give her a bit of a preemptive trim back, but do it soon.  

Thank you. Yes, all bottomless pots. Definitely be trimming that photo at some point this week

• Like 1

Just now, disco survivor said:

Thanks for the great advice.

I've got Hungarian Blue and Black Peony (in the image) growing. Getting a lot of resin from both but the Black Peony probably edges it for latex production. Will be adding the dried resin to some coconut oil today and testing to see how effective it is as a pain relief cream.

Have a look around ... im sure it was SlippyOne or Twigs that has just made some creams & lotions,  was some awesome info on the thread :yep:

As for the plants ,  your well on your way & your keeping them happy ,  mother nature will do the rest sir.   

Start working that fem ,  or shes gonna get trapped in there with little airflow behind her mate.     

Already seen a victim of g/h grow ,  autos i believe  ,  almost wiped out with rot due to airflow ,  occurs so fast !     Generally by the time its spotted its too late , although sug leaves have a tell , its reading them.    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@OldFord Well, who would have guessed it...............My little homemade STS spray experiment on this isolated feminised auto actually worked :yep:

Seed pods on every branch !!

I wonder how many seeds I'll get?

large.64a5d66c8b1e6_cbdfeminisedseeds.jpglarge.64a5d66e31da6_cbdfeminisedseeds2.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, disco survivor said:

@OldFord Well, who would have guessed it...............My little homemade STS spray experiment on this isolated feminised auto actually worked :yep:

Seed pods on every branch !!

I wonder how many seeds I'll get?

large.64a5d66c8b1e6_cbdfeminisedseeds.jpglarge.64a5d66e31da6_cbdfeminisedseeds2.jpg

Happy days sir :yep:      Yeah its always a great feeling when you up skill your gardening arsenal :george:

Seed quantities will vary so hard to predict ,  just keep her happy and read up on drying seeds correctly as can make a big diff mate.   

Congrats and made up for you sir :yep:      

• Like 1

DAY 50 UPDATE:

Everything is looking healthy

The feminized auto's are producing quite a few buds with so signs as yet of any issues.

The feminized auto that I isolated and conducted an STS spray treatment has produced 500+ seed pods. I'll do my research on when to harvest these and how to dry/ store them.

The photo that was planted by mistake is growing into a bit of a monster. Hopefully this photo will allow the autos either side to finish before it gets too big. I'll trim as needed if not.

large.64abc464cbee7_cbd107233.jpglarge.64abc46906c2e_cbd107235.jpglarge.64abc462d6d7f_cbd107232.jpglarge.64abc460c96cf_cbd107231.jpglarge.64abc467137f2_cbd107234.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, disco survivor said:

large.64abc462d6d7f_cbd107232.jpg

Are those what you're referring to as seed pods?

They're actually male flowers that will open soon and release a large amount of pollen.

• Like 3

I was just about to mention,

unless I'm missing something,

if you sprayed with STS then you have completed the first stage, 

sex reversal :)

As Latigid aikona says, 

Those male flowers will open, 

producing small clouds of pollen that will need to find some female flowers to impregnate :yep:

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, latigid aikon said:

Are those what you're referring to as seed pods?

They're actually male flowers that will open soon and release a large amount of pollen.

Thanks. All still new to me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

I was just about to mention,

unless I'm missing something,

if you sprayed with STS then you have completed the first stage, 

sex reversal :)

As Latigid aikona says, 

Those male flowers will open, 

producing small clouds of pollen that will need to find some female flowers to impregnate :yep:

Atb 

:yinyang:

Thank you. Do I need to pollinate using the cotton bud method? (I have to do this for the cucumbers to increase the success rate)

• Like 1

lol  Looks like I've got ahead of myself slightly.

Back to more research. Does this mean I have to have a second feminised plant (not sprayed with STS) to pollinate with or do I get female and male flowers on the same plant? Thanks in advance @Shumroom @latigid aikon

large.64abc460c96cf_cbd107231.jpg

• Like 4