First ever grow

disco survivor

On 31/05/2023 at 0:16 PM, disco survivor said:

I've offset 2 of the auto's in the buckets to carry out some low stress training (part of the experimental first grow). The auto to the right in the middle image will be placed in a small plastic greenhouse (when it arrives) and that one will be used to see if I can produce feminised seeds.

What reversal method will you be using?

Atb

:yinyang:

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

What reversal method will you be using?

Atb

3mM solution of STS spray. I use this technique on cucumbers and it works every time. I'm using exactly the same formula of Silver Thiosulphate (STS) and exactly the same technique - 4th set of leaves set then light spray (2 actions of the trigger spray) followed by a second application 7 days later. Hopefully this will also work for this grow.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Do you make up your own STS?

Atb

Yes. I buy the Silver Nitrate powder (5g) and Sodium Thiosulphate (100g) off eBay. This is enough to do several bottles of STS. I also purchase distilled water (5L) from APC Pure but they didn't have any in stock the last time I needed it so purchased 5L de-ionised water from Euro Car Parts and didn't have any adverse results. You need to make sure you mix the solution in the right order and use coloured spray bottles (black is best). Otherwise cover a clear spray bottle in duct tape or similar. UV will degrade the solution quickly. Total cost of the products excluding the spray bottle is about £15.

• Like 3

large.647c9c3dc2c34_cbddesease.jpglarge.647c9ccfc1730_cbddesease2.jpglarge.647c9c2dea965_cbddesease3.jpg

Anyone know what this leaf damage might be?

Only happening to one plant. All of the rest look fine.

My only guess up to this point is insect damage due to the surface damage on the microscope view. I wiped the leaves before taking the images so its not dust etc.

underside of the leaves are all clear of insects

Last image is through a microscope.

Edited by disco survivor
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Looks like thrip damage. I don't normally worry to much with outdoor plants, some sort of predator will normally come along as sort the issue out for you, but she is quite small so they might get a bit much for her. 

This thread might be handy 

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/419337-experiments-with-dettol/

Great thread, thanks for sharing. Noticed someone mentioned citric acid as an alternative to Dettol. I have some citric acid in the cupboard - I use half a tsp of citric acid and half a tsp bicarb of soda in a standard batter mix to produce the best and crunchiest fish batter on the planet (citric acid and bicarb of soda mixed with water results in rapid production of CO2). Might try this for CO2 production when I invest in a tent !

• Like 1

Yeah mate, give it a  good thorough dousing 3 times in total with 3 days between each one or something like that. 

• Like 1

large.64802e9983e20_cbd76231.jpglarge.64802e9a5e7d3_cbd76232.jpglarge.64802e9b3b4e6_cbd76233.jpglarge.64802e9c2bea0_cbd76234.jpg

Thought I'd give an update

Day 18 of the grow (from date seeds went into sandwich bag for germination)

Photo 1: no further insect damage (convinced now it was insect damage). Thanks to @MindSoup, sprayed with weak citric acid mix and seems to have done the trick !

Photo 2: have a slight problem ! Got a free seed with my order (ordered 3 seeds) and presumed it would be the same as the other seeds. puzzled why this plant was growing at such a fast rate then went back to my order and discovered this seed is not an auto, it's a feminised photo from a different strain altogether. Good though that I can learn how to train a photo on the same grow. Looking very healthy and growing FAST !!

photo 3: Auto looking very healthy, no issues to report

Photo 4: Again, Auto very healthy. Going to have to start training the cucumbers (growing behind the Auto's) so they don't encroach on the Auto's too much.

• Like 8

Glad to hear the citric acid did the trick, I'm definitely going to give it a try next time I have unwanted visitors..

• Like 2

Nice work with the citric.. 

What ratio did you use - citric to water?

Need this in my arsenal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CheechChongReturns said:

Nice work with the citric.. 

What ratio did you use - citric to water?

Need this in my arsenal.

I used 1 tsp (about 10g) citric acid in 500ml water so 2% solution. I purchased the citric acid from Wilko's in the UK and it's marketed for wine making - not sure if that makes any difference or all citric acid sold is the same strength?

• Like 5

large.64840838ce53a_cbd106231.jpglarge.6484083a85084_cbd106232.jpglarge.6484083c075ce_cbd106233.jpg

Decided (rightly or wrongly) to start some training of the plants.

Photo 1: On the Auto's I've used BBQ skewers to anchor and train the stem. Thought the shape at the end of these skewers would work well (forms an arch) to force the stem into a horizontal plane without digging into the outer surface which plant ties or string might do. Plus, I didn't want long pieces of string tied to the side of the bucket.

Photo 2: Topped the Photo early as it's stretching quite a bit. 

Photo 3: Saved the top of the Photo to see if I can get another plant out of it. 

• Like 5

I love this. Your obviously very green fingered and those plants are definitely in good hands. All looking very healthy indeed :yep:

• Like 1