Ducksfoot double trouble

Crow River

Was at the photoperiod plot. The Frisian Duck clone I planted last time looked a bit battered by the wind, so I tied her more securely to the wee stake. Hopefully she'll get a bit more vigour soon. Next visit I'll bring some compost and mulch around all the girls, get a bit more organic material and nutrients washed in by the rain.

I've decided to take the easy route to planting the next wave, and just extend this plot. There's some space to the west that can be used. I just can't face clearing a virgin bramble forest in this heat and humidity. Maybe in the off season... Only problem is there's an old pile of wood, ash, gravel, and stuff in the middle of the area, partly overgrown with brambles, etc. Not realistic to shift that in the time I have, would be a lot of work and take a couple of days. So I'll just work around it. If I decide to use this plot again, then I can do that job in the winter maybe. I trampled down surrounding vegetation this visit, next time I'll start clearing and digging over.

It was nice hanging out there, peaceful and the sun was still hitting the plot from the west until about 8pm. It's good, gets sun right through the day (when there is some). 

Plot on arrival

large.IMG_20230711_193905_494.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone - she had been lying flat until I tied her to the stake, hence the top is at an angle...

large.IMG_20230711_194333_882.jpeg

Scope for further expansion westward

large.IMG_20230711_210401_477.jpeglarge.IMG_20230711_210418_830.jpeglarge.IMG_20230711_210426_453.jpeg

That's it until the next time.

As they said on Hill Street Blues: HEY. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

• Like 5

Went to the photoperiod plot Saturday evening. I'm going to start calling it the bramble plot, given it's pretty much surrounded by them. Gave all the girls a top dress of Fish, Blood & Bone, then compost and a bit of coco on top. Trimmed dead or dying leaves from a few plants too. I was pleased to note the Frisian Duck clone has settled in. 

Also dug over a patch of ground to the west, first stage in extending the plot to take the final wave of photoperiod girls. I made a hole in the mound in the middle of the plot too, to check what it was made of. Pleasantly surprised to find it was a mixture of topsoil and lumps of coal. So I can probably just dig holes in it and plant straight into them, maybe removing some coal first. That makes my job a bit easier this season. If I continue to use this plot next year, I can break it up with a mattock and level the mound a bit, spread some of that topsoil around a bit.

Plot after top dress

large.IMG_20230715_200242.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone

large.IMG_20230715_194002.jpeglarge.IMG_20230715_194009.jpeg

Westward expansion

large.IMG_20230715_204045.jpeglarge.IMG_20230715_204100.jpeg

On the way home, I checked in on some of the Ducks. The Auto Duck are 83 days old. The buds are maturing, but still some way off. No signs of rot, but I'll return tomorrow when the light is better to check them over more thoroughly. I might defoliate slightly too, as the smaller Auto Duck in particular has some fading leaves. The Frisian Duck mum seems to have settled in, but is suffering from leaf bleaching a bit. Unaccustomed UV presumably. I'll start tying her down tomorrow.

large.IMG_20230715_214829.jpeglarge.IMG_20230715_214855.jpeglarge.IMG_20230715_214905.jpeglarge.IMG_20230715_214919.jpeglarge.IMG_20230715_214927.jpeglarge.IMG_20230715_214955.jpeg

• Like 6

As I was in the area, went to tend to the Ducks today. Gave them a top dress of some dry ferts, and trimmed dead or dying leaves from the smaller, spiky Auto Duck by the apple tree. She seems to be further on than her bigger sister next door, buds are filling out nicely. The wee bit of defoliation should help airflow. Also tried to start some LST on the Frisian Duck mum, but ended up splitting the stem at the top. :wallbash: It's possible it was already split by the strong winds today, but I heard it crack. Anyway, luckily I had cable ties with me, so effected a temporary ligature. Hopefully she'll knit the split back together, then I'll remove the cable tie and bind with some wire or string, so as the stem thickens it can just grow over the binding.

This time I checked on the two Auto Ducks hidden away in mini GG plots, first time I've visited them for a while. They're doing okay, not as impressive as the two by the apple tree, but they were smaller to start with anyway. They've got taller, with a fair bit of new growth. Fair bit of insect damage to fan leaves, but they're both building buds. I think they'll be doing that for quite a while yet. I gave them some dry ferts, did a bit of weeding round about, and chopped tops from tall nettles nearby to open up the plots a bit more. Probably won't get much bud from either, but we'll see. They are certainly hardy wee girls, that's for sure.

Apple tree Ducks

large.IMG_20230716_201842.jpeg

large.IMG_20230716_201810.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_201756.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_201912.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_201917.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_201854.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_201901.jpeg

Hidden Auto Ducks

large.IMG_20230716_195425.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_195415.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_200116.jpeglarge.IMG_20230716_200126.jpeg

• Like 5

Come to think of it, assuming the Frisian Duck mum recovers, I might try an outdoor ScrOG instead of LST. As she's been topped and pruned quite a bit, it could be the best option.

• Like 2

Why not indeed! :sport: Might be nice to make it a SCROG!

Great to see all of these Duck quack on! :yep:

• Like 2

@Antonio_DutchPassion, yeah could be fun. I'm at this plot fairly regularly anyway, so should be manageable to tuck and arrange tops. I found some old fencing grid down at the railway plot which could make a ScrOG mesh. Just need to think about how to support the mesh outdoors, probably just tie it to canes inserted in the soil in the pot itself, so the whole thing is still (sort of) portable and can be moved if need be.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Crow River said:

need to think about how to support the mesh outdoors, probably just tie it to canes inserted in the soil in the pot itself,

If your gonna try this Crow your gonna want a screen much wider then the pot so she can be spread out..I cant see the benefit if its just a small screen you would be better off just training her opening her up and spreading her outwards

Edited by Revive
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Revive said:

If your gonna try this Crow your gonna want a screen much wider then the pot so she can be spread out..I cant see the benefit if its just a small screen you would be better off just training her opening her up and spreading her outwards

That's a good point. I was thinking that if the screen is really rigid (galvanised steel mesh fencing) then the support from canes in the pot can be smaller than the screen, which could be  much wider. I won't be trying it just yet, will let the two Auto Ducks finish flower first, then I'll have space for a screen and the Frisian Duck will hopefully have grown a bit...

Alternatively I can go for a screen supported at fixed points with canes or stakes in the ground rather than the pot. Might support the plant's weight better I suppose.

Still plenty of time to think about it... :) 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Crow River said:

. I was thinking that if the screen is really rigid (galvanised steel mesh fencing) then the support from canes in the pot can be smaller than the screen,

That would be better mate but it may be a bit heavy possibly better to make a square frame out of batten then put 4 stakes in the ground at each corner then string the frame yourself to create the screen/net...you can make the squares to a size that suits by weaving the string how you want it..much lighter Crow..make the frame at home then it can just be screwed together again onsite..just 4 bits of batten a screwdriver and a ball of string brother, very transportable :yep:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 4

Was at the bramble plot this evening. The Frisian Duck clone is growing. Still quite small, but as a late finisher she'll have plenty of time to get bigger.

large.IMG_20230719_203216.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

@Revive re: the outdoor ScrOG, I will borrow an idea I saw on @MindSoup's indoor grow, using plastic mesh but trimming it to make the holes bigger. Simple, but effective! Will make a great ScOG net... :yep: I have loads of that mesh, will take less time than threading twine or string. :) Bit more rigid too, but lighter and more give than metal.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Crow River said:

@Revive re: the outdoor ScrOG, I will borrow an idea I saw on @MindSoup's indoor grow, using plastic mesh but trimming it to make the holes bigger. Simple, but effective! Will make a great ScOG net... :yep: I have loads of that mesh, will take less time tan threading twine or string. :) Bit more rigid too, but lighter and more give than metal.

Fair shout bro..I did think about that stuff and the fact you can cut it to make the holes bigger, that should work just fine as a scrog net/screen, again easy to work with and transport too :yep:

Personally I don't think I'd try a scrog outdoors Crow, that's not to say I'm knocking it but aside from the fact it will support the plant I see no benefit of creating an even canopy when growing outdoors in the sun (when we fuking get some that is lol) which is the main objective when used indoors, providing light gets to all bud sites of course..its just my opinion but still I would like to see it done just know if it is worth all the faff and what the benefits are for it..will be watching this 1 closely brother :yep:

Just too add and this might be worth thinking about it will also restrict airflow around the plant slightly being as all the branches and buds will be contained withing the screen.. being more free they can move in the wind so less dead spots as such..just trading thoughts dude 

Edited by Revive
  • Like 2

@Revive, all good points. One motivation for this is keeping the plant low down, as she's hiding in plain sight and I don't want her too tall. First thought was LST, but I ended up splitting the stem as this girl is too mature for bending. If I do a ScrOG then I will defoliate below the screen so that air can circulate. I'll also try to not bunch tops too close together, but rather space them out. There will be a lot of tops as she was a mum and got pruned a few times.  

In other news, the small spiky Auto Duck looks like she's getting near the finish line. Ninety days old today so not long to go for those two girls. 

• Like 2