Ducksfoot double trouble

Crow River

Here's the Frisian Duck clone down at the bramble plot today. I have added additional stakes to help brace her against the coming stormy weather.

large.IMG_20231018_165109.jpeg

• Like 7

Passed by the Frisian Ducks near the apple tree after sunset this evening. Both seem t have survived the storm reasonably unscathed, though the clone did look as though it had been battered a bit by the wind. I made sure she was firmly rooted in her bucket, put her a bit more upright as she was leaning over slightly. That's about all I could do without light to work with. I'll spin by again soon and give them both a feed.

Frisian Duck mum

large.IMG_20231023_183447.jpeglarge.IMG_20231023_183520.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone

large.IMG_20231023_183610.jpeglarge.IMG_20231023_183715.jpeg

• Like 8

Another frantic dash today, to harvest plants before the latest severe downpour started. I was looking for girls that either had some rot starting, or were damaged, or indeed were ready and finished.

Over at the bramble plot, two girls had some rot on the tops, including the Frisian Duck clone. So I removed a small number of rotten bits, and chopped both. Just one girl standing at that plot now.

Then to the embankment, and while no rot was detected, the wind had made the taller girls lean over. Also there were signs of wind damage on leaves. I suppose I could have strengthened the staking of those taller plants, but with the heavy rain coming I decided to chop all three. That just leaves the two extreme late plant outs at that plot: including a Frisian Duck clone. They definitely need a bit longer before finishing.

So that's the season nearly over at those two plots, and only three plants still out. Of course I have the Frisian Ducks by the apple tree, and a bunch of clones along the railway. Hopefully they'll all be okay in the coming rain. I'll check on them in a week's time.

Frisian Duck clone

large.IMG_20231028_160600.jpeglarge.IMG_20231028_160617.jpeg

Embankment plot on arrival

large.IMG_20231028_170635.jpeglarge.IMG_20231028_170647.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone

large.IMG_20231028_174457.jpeg

Embankment plot after harvest

large.IMG_20231028_174443.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Was down by the apple tree around sunset, checked in on the two Frisian Ducks. Definitely feels like autumn now in a way it didn't really last month. Trees are shedding a lot of leaves, dark at half four...

The girls don't seem to be growing any more. Similar story with the clones from a different strain down at the railway. Probably just relative lack of light, and low temperatures overnight. Although there has been some mild, dry, sunny weather the past few days which hopefully they enjoyed. I suppose it's possible they are entering a sort of semi-dormant state due to the soil temperatures. Also a few bud leaves in places are turning grey and dying back. Not rot I don't think, but maybe wind or cold damage. Looks similar to the way the clone at the bramble plot was the other week. I don't think these ladies are going to do very much over the next while, they're done.

We have some rain coming soon, but the next proper dry day I think I will chop these girls. Might leave a few lower branches on each, see if they reveg at some stage. Just a wee experiment.

Frisian Duck mum

large.IMG_20231107_164554.jpeglarge.IMG_20231107_164618.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone

large.IMG_20231107_164515.jpeglarge.IMG_20231107_164639.jpeg

• Like 8

Today was harvest day for the two Frisian Ducks by the apple tree. They've had some good sunshine over the past few days, but nights have been pretty cold, below zero overnight Thursday into Friday. Both seem to have taken that in their stride, no real change since Tuesday. A handful of buds showed damage, but I put this down to strong wind a few weeks back. 

So I chopped the girls, but left a few buds and as many leaves as possible on both. I'm going to try overwintering them. The smaller clone went in the polytunnel, off the floor with some bubblewrap round the bucket. The mum is too big to move far, so just left her where she is. Next visit I will mulch with some straw and maybe wrap some cardboard round the fabric pot. One interesting detail is I forgot to remove a cable tie used to bind the top of the stem when it split in the summer. The fat stem has tried to grow round it. Not sure if I should remove it just now, but if she survives and starts growing again in the spring I'll cut it off then so the stem can expand more normally at that point...

So just one small clone still out at the embankment, will try and visit later this week if I get time.

Frisian Duck clone before harvest

large.IMG_20231111_151056.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151131.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151236.jpeg

Bud damage

large.IMG_20231111_151245.jpeg

Frisian Duck mum before harvest

large.IMG_20231111_151155.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151219.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151254.jpeg

large.IMG_20231111_154834.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_154851.jpeg

Bud damage

large.IMG_20231111_151303.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone after harvest

large.IMG_20231111_153642.jpeg

Frisian Duck mum after harvest

large.IMG_20231111_160350.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_160422.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_160432.jpeg

• Like 6

Ohh mate that is bad luck ducks foot is maybe a banger when she finishes could of done with 3-4 weeks more good weather next year brother.peace Goohfy.

• Like 2

@Goohfy yeah the wet summer meant the buds never really got very chunky. They're kinda loose and fluffy. If September had been a bit drier maybe could have been a different story. No rot or mould though, and this strain is pretty damn tough. The girls are basically in stasis now, no real growth for a few weeks. I'll see how they overwinter, if one or both survive then might enjoy a better summer next year...

• Like 4

Stunning looking dark coloured nuggets :wub:         Got to be a decent little bounty mucker :yep:

Fair play mate,  if they aint moving and they seem done you may as well grab it whilst you can  ,  especially when the buds look that colourful :george: 

• Like 3

@OldFord yeah I love purple buds. These are almost black they're so dark. They have a lovely, delicate funky aroma coming off them too. Pretty mouthwatering if I'm honest. The harvest is sitting in paper bags, I'll be hanging the branches up to dry soon, got to get an earlier harvest trimmed and jarred first...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 5

I love a purple looking strain.

Thinking of crossing a purple auto with a purple photo after my current lot are done.

Think it's going to be Dark Devil Auto, CS'ed until reversed and the pollen hitting a red purps 

That's the plan so far but i'm still looking at other strains

Why don't you cross a purple auto with the duck to see if you can get a few off springs to finish in september 

Im not 100% clued up with breeding but the auto i crossed with the photos ended up with plants that autoed, some that were either longer autos or really fast photos and others that finished in september

All fun and games

• Like 3

On 11/11/2023 at 7:00 PM, Crow River said:

Today was harvest day for the two Frisian Ducks by the apple tree. They've had some good sunshine over the past few days, but nights have been pretty cold, below zero overnight Thursday into Friday. Both seem to have taken that in their stride, no real change since Tuesday. A handful of buds showed damage, but I put this down to strong wind a few weeks back. 

So I chopped the girls, but left a few buds and as many leaves as possible on both. I'm going to try overwintering them. The smaller clone went in the polytunnel, off the floor with some bubblewrap round the bucket. The mum is too big to move far, so just left her where she is. Next visit I will mulch with some straw and maybe wrap some cardboard round the fabric pot. One interesting detail is I forgot to remove a cable tie used to bind the top of the stem when it split in the summer. The fat stem has tried to grow round it. Not sure if I should remove it just now, but if she survives and starts growing again in the spring I'll cut it off then so the stem can expand more normally at that point...

So just one small clone still out at the embankment, will try and visit later this week if I get time.

Frisian Duck clone before harvest

large.IMG_20231111_151056.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151131.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151236.jpeg

Bud damage

large.IMG_20231111_151245.jpeg

Frisian Duck mum before harvest

large.IMG_20231111_151155.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151219.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_151254.jpeg

large.IMG_20231111_154834.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_154851.jpeg

Bud damage

large.IMG_20231111_151303.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone after harvest

large.IMG_20231111_153642.jpeg

Frisian Duck mum after harvest

large.IMG_20231111_160350.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_160422.jpeglarge.IMG_20231111_160432.jpeg

The photos in your post won't show for me and now i quoted the post , they are showing in the quote . 

Anyway, congrats on what you've harvested 

Let us know what it tastes like after a cure please 

• Like 3

Just now, BluePeter said:

Let us know what it tastes like after a cure please 

Will do, I'll report back in about two months' time... ;) 

• Like 3

I can see a lot of peeps growing these out next year lovely job bro just a little bit more good weather then bang everyone’s jumping on these lady’s enjoy yo hard work looks tasty.peace Goohfy.

• Like 2