Ducksfoot double trouble

Crow River

Just now, Revive said:

@brock1 is the killer daze cross  killer skunk x shd mate? I wrote it down somewhere but cant find where..I might be stoned im not sure anymore lol

No mate its SHD / blackberry gum x killer skunk

• Like 3

Just now, Crow River said:

@brock1, thanks mate. I look forward to seeing some of your ducksfoot creations in the subbies section, hopefully. :) 

I think my favourite pheno is the bushy broad leaved vigorous one, but those little spiky ones are kinda cool too. :yep:

Your probably going to enjoy the fast version more anyway to be honest. But I can't see that being ready for next season. :sadwalk: 

Have you considered breeding your own mutations. Aneuploid breeding would suit your fascination with the weird mutations & give you the opportunity to find new mutations. 

• Like 3

Just now, brock1 said:

Your probably going to enjoy the fast version more anyway to be honest. But I can't see that being ready for next season. :sadwalk: 

Have you considered breeding your own mutations. Aneuploid breeding would suit your fascination with the weird mutations & give you the opportunity to find new mutations. 

I did try a hack last year crossing Jack Herer (semi-) auto with Auto Duck. So far, no viable seeds, as I pulled the Duck a bit early due to mould... I will be dusting a Frisian Duck clone with some Short Term Amnesia pollen soon too.

Now that I have some mutant canna regs, that gives more scope for doing some interesting crosses maybe. I also picked up subbies last year - Electric Duck Buddaz f2 - which have Hawaiian Duck in them. So with these, and the DP duck strains, there's a treasure trove of weird genetics to pheno hunt. :) 

Need to get my indoors setup moved out of the house this summer. Once that's up and running, hacks / breeding will be one of the key activities, assuming the GG goes well...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Crow River said:

I did try a hack last year crossing Jack Herer (semi-) auto with Auto Duck. So far, no viable seeds, as I pulled the Duck a bit early due to mould... I will be dusting a Frisian Duck clone with some Short Term Amnesia pollen soon too.

Now that I have some mutant canna regs, that gives more scope for doing some interesting crosses maybe. I also picked up subbies last year - Electric Duck Buddaz f2 - which have Hawaiian Duck in them. So with these, and the DP duck strains, there's a treasure trove of weird genetics to pheno hunt. :) 

Need to get my indoors setup moved out of the house this summer. Once that's up and running, hacks / breeding will be one of the key activities, assuming the GG goes well...

That's not what I mean by Aneuploid breeding. Its a little complicated but basically your have 7 sets of chromosomes in each healthy plant making its a heploid (N2) with a total of 14 different chromosomes. A aneuploid as 1 or more chromosomes missing wich results in 13 or less chromosomes in the plant. You literally breed the mutations from scratch. You select for small mutations early in the seedlings development I find is best. Grown plant have no importance wich is were people go wrong. Usually you will find the first set of true leaf webbed or Fhyllotaxy in early growth. You inbreed these type together & keep selecting the little weak gene giveaways inbreeding & like magic you unlock mutation. You then inbreed for the desirable one's then outcross to repair the vigour you lost. Its easier than it sounds & you find notations you have never seed before. The Northern freak show was my first attempt at aneuploid breeding & you have probably already seen how many mutations show in just 1 strain that can be selected from just that. :yep:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 4

@brock1 sounds a bit in-depth for my level at the moment, if I'm honest! :) I think as a first stage, I'm going to play around and experiment, see what happens. Then maybe I'll get more heavily into selection as you suggest above...

I've also got to get started on the Welsh and Scottish strains repro, so that and some weird mutant canna should keep me busy! :yep:

• Like 4

I should have tagged @twigs into this thread as he created the Electric Duck Buddaz f2. Bringing the ducksfoot clan together, likes! :) 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, brock1 said:

No mate its SHD / blackberry gum x killer skunk

That was it, I forgot there was bbg in there..is it shd/bbg reversed x killer skunk? Not sure why thats in my very stoned mind right now lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Revive said:

That was it, I forgot there was bbg in there..is it shd/bbg reversed x killer skunk? Not sure why thats in my very stoned mind right now lol

Yes that it. The killer skunk was F2 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brock1 said:

Yes that it. The killer skunk was F2 

Thanks brock :yep:

My brain does work but only sometimes lol

• Like 3

Just now, Revive said:

Thanks brock :yep:

My brain does work but only sometimes lol

I think we all get that way sometime. My naybours probably think I run up & down strain for exercise. Truth is my brain stop working half way up & I forget what I was going up for. Just took me 4 attempts to remember to take the jiffys up to take some POGKBR cuts :wacko:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brock1 said:

I think we all get that way sometime. My naybours probably think I run up & down strain for exercise. Truth is my brain stop working half way up & I forget what I was going up for. Just took me 4 attempts to remember to take the jiffys up to take some POGKBR cuts :wacko:

Mate im just like that..thank fuk I live in a flat because if I had stairs I'd prob spend half my life going up and down them lol

Truth is we are getting old brother but I refuse to look at my birth cert and I am as old as my capabilities tell me I am :yep:

• Like 5

Age doesn't mean shit! Its indeed what you make of it (the way you feel) :thumsup:

Except the fact that the older we get the wiser (more knowledgeable) we become. That's something that can only come with experience/age I guess..

@Crow River your Duck's looking fine mate!:realcool: Interesting to see the differences in environmental conditions having a profound effect on the outcome of the ladies.

Keep it up! :rockon:

• Like 5

Went to the photoperiod plot just before sundown. Planted a Frisian Duck clone, did a bit of light weeding, started clearing an area for two extra plants to go in. Also tried to find an area for the next plot, but it was tricky. This location is really overgrown with brambles, much more so than October when I did a recce. Would be a lot of work to make a plot. Another option is to expand the current area, but I was trying not to make any plot too large. I'll have to think about it more. There are a couple of areas (currently head height brambles) which get really good light. Maybe I need to bring a strimmer next visit...

Some pics. The light was fading so not as clear as in full daylight, also the girls droop a bit as evening arrives. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good shot of the newly planted clone. Next time, once she's bedded in.

Plot on arrival - girls are doing fine, they've all grown a bit

large.IMG_20230707_215344_066.jpeg

Plot after weeding and planting a Frisian Duck clone

large.IMG_20230707_221030_568.jpeglarge.IMG_20230707_221055_724.jpeg

• Like 7

Yesterday I potted up the remaining Frisian Duck clones. Today, it being lovely and sunny, I decided to take the Frisian Duck mum outside and put her with the Auto Ducks by the apple tree. She hadn't been pruned for a while, so I gave her a trim before packing her into a box ready to transport. The cuts will probably be rooted as further clones for future crosses.

She's now happily planted in about 45 litres of compost in a fabric pot. I'll let her settle in for a week, and then start some LST as I want to spread this somewhat spindly lady out to keep her relatively short.

Before and after pruning

large.IMG_20230709_140440.jpeglarge.IMG_20230709_140801.jpeg

Looking a bit haggard after her journey, but she did perk up after a couple of hours

large.IMG_20230709_180610.jpeg

With her sisters by the apple tree

large.IMG_20230709_180500.jpeg

Auto Ducks are building buds

large.IMG_20230709_180536.jpeglarge.IMG_20230709_180521.jpeglarge.IMG_20230709_180550.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 5