Ducksfoot double trouble

Crow River

1 hour ago, crazy-sheep said:

Why don't you cross a purple auto with the duck to see if you can get a few off springs to finish in september 

The only worry there would be losing the ducksfoot leaves trait. I have some Auto Duck beans, based on the same strain, but doesn't have purple buds. I also have regs of other ducksfoot strains, but again no purple. I think the purple came from the Frisian Dew.

I suppose one way of doing this would to be to cross to something like Purple #1, then maybe to Auto Duck, then back cross to Frisian Duck. Selecting for purple and webbed leaves as you go...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

Can't you take that bucket indoors and reveg so you can take loads of cuttings to cross with purple strains whilst keeping the mother going for more cuttings for crossing your crosses back with. Might increase the chance of keeping them crazy shape leaves.

Just a thought as i'm not a breeder

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BluePeter said:

Can't you take that bucket indoors and reveg so you can take loads of cuttings to cross with purple strains whilst keeping the mother going for more cuttings for crossing your crosses back with. Might increase the chance of keeping them crazy shape leaves.

Just a thought as i'm not a breeder

Yes I could do. Still have another clone outside too, not really flowering so could take cuts. I also have some Frisian Duck R2s (two clones crossed, one reversed) I can play with. I also have fem seeds from the same strain.

The main problems with bringing plants from outdoors inside are lack of space, and the risk of bringing pests with it that can infest indoor plants. So I prefer not to unless it's really necessary.

The only reason I'm leaving these girls outside to overwinter (and a bunch of others from another late flowering strain) is just to see what happens.

P.S.:- In fact yeah I really should take a few cuts from this lot, as apart from relatively late/slow flowering most of the traits I want are there.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

Crazily cool experiment @Crow River overwintering those plants outdoors.  If they survive it will be amazing! <3

I remember the smell and taste of Frisian Duck was absolutely unique and delicious.  I found them almost beyond fluffy, beyond 'ancestoral-landrace skimpy', but I chose a fairly bad year to grow it.  There was little actual bud on mine to be honest, though what I had was delicious.  I've read a couple of comments elsewhere about the marvelous hash they produce though, not sure if dry sift or bubble.  I can believe it with the delicious flavours.

I have to say, if I was more secure growing outdoors, I'd be tempted to try beefing her up in a breeding process.  I have a feeling though that the unique flavour would be very hard to preserve through breeding WITH the ducksfoot leaves.  I think the chances would be far less than 1 in 4!! (Which was my first attempt at guessing).  I am a complete breeding novice though, so what I say is worth nothing on that score.

Best of luck!  It is always a pleasure to read your adventures. :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

@MidgeSmith, thanks for the perspective on the strain and the kind words.

I'm not really sure if overwintering will work, but I've been reading a few tales on the interwebs of growers keeping plants outdoors for several years, including one in Scotland, by a railway line... :) So it seems that hardy strains can survive over the winter outdoors, even at northerly latitudes. We'll see in due course I suppose...

I suspect one of the reasons why Frisian Duck and Auto Duck are not available as regs is they're probably based on reversals of a unique mother plant. Possibly because it's a lot of work to get the mix of traits just so...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Weather is Baltic here now, and forecast is sub-zero nights  for about a week. Not sure my girls will survive it, but I plan to visit tomorrow, see how they're getting on...

• Like 4

Arrived at the apple tree plot after sunset. Still light to see by, and just about enough to take photos. My phone was on low battery so wouldn't let me use the flash. :( Anyway, you'll just have to imagine... :rolleyes:

Frisian Duck mum seems to still be alive. The clone in the polytunnel, looking half dead. We'll see what happens come the spring, I suppose.

large.IMG_20231130_161815.jpeglarge.IMG_20231130_161915.jpeglarge.IMG_20231130_162105.jpeg

• Like 2

Visited the two Frisian Ducks today, and well they look dead to me. I'll let them sit it out until spring, nothing lost after all. I suspect they'll not come back from this, but we'll see...

Mum

large.IMG_20231205_154806.jpeglarge.IMG_20231205_154743.jpeg

Clone

large.IMG_20231205_154700.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Well the Frisian Duck mum and clone both died, and were added to the compost heap...

I will be growing some ducksfoot strains again this season. I have a pack of three Auto Duck beans, they'll be going in the polytunnel and I will try to reverse one so I can pollinate the girls and make a second generation. I also plan to grow some White Widow Duck from TerpyZ seeds, these are regs so I'll collect pollen from any males and try to pollinate any females. If the timing works I might be able to cross with the Auto Duck too, maybe get a fast version among the offspring.  

Not sure about Frisian Duck this season, I'm trying to keep numbers low - everything will be much smaller scale this year as I've no need to grow weed for personal use at the moment, still slowly grinding through last year's crop... I do have some Frisian Duck crosses that I'm itching to test grow, but we'll see. Don't want plant numbers getting too high. They'll all be fems so maybe one or two of each would do. Not certain yet.

Anyway no beans hitting soil for another month, I'll post again in April.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a change of plan for this season.

Thanks to @Revive for reminding me about the Frisian Duck crosses, as they'll be forming the core of this season's efforts. I'll leave White Widow Duck and Auto Duck for next time.

I'll wet some beans next week: two of each cross that I made last year.

Frisian Duck F2

Frisian Duck x Super Kush

Frisian Duck x Triton Biscotto Lime

These are all fems so keeps things simple. There would have been a Frisian Duck x Joshua too, but never got any seeds as the Joshua flowered earlier than the reversed Frisian Duck. Ah well, some other time... I'm not sure if all the seeds will be viable, we'll have to see what happens.

I might try and germinate these away from home for a change. I have a large propagator in the polytunnel which could come in handy for this purpose. Daylight will be over 15 hours by the end of the month, so hopefully perfect conditions for growing the seedlings. I'll shade the prop with some bubblewrap so things don't get too hot.

What I don't know yet is whether the crosses will show any ducksfoot characteristics. If not, they'll go to the Bramble plot to grow out. If some have ducksfoot leaves, I'll select one and put it where the Frisian Duck mum was last season, and make an outdoor ScrOG again.

• Like 5

Today being the 20th April, decided to wet some beans. 

This is my first attempt at outdoors germination. Well, strictly speaking not true outdoors as it's in the polytunnel, so a bit warmer than outside - quite a bit warmer during the day at least. I spotted 28ºC in the afternoon sun, while outside it was less than half that. That's with all the windows open too.

These are beans that I made last year by crossing a reversed Frisian Duck clone with a female of the same strain, a Super Kush clone, and a Triton Biscotto Lime clone. Two of each cross were planted today. I have no idea if the seeds are viable, some of them look a bit pale, others look normal.

Compost/coco mix in paper pots, water, beans in, and lid on the propagator, then bubble wrap over that. Forgot to bring capillary matting, but they should be okay until next visit.

We'll see how they get on...

large.IMG_20240420_171855.jpeg.e6d3b32928ecbd984677572ceba87dc5.jpeglarge.IMG_20240420_172004.jpeg.32cd29b03fe745cfd9bd97f31bb08a3d.jpeglarge.IMG_20240420_175208.jpeg.6e63f9f9259a06cbdbce7fdc677958f6.jpeglarge.IMG_20240420_175241.jpeg.1be93080b9f5a6674af3aa4c06d6fa66.jpeg

• Like 6

Good to see you playing with the ducks again mate 😎

the crosses sound quite tasty !    

will be along for the rise to see how it plays out mate. 

The very best of luck with it and fingers crossed for you mucker 👍

• Like 4

@OldFord cheers man, I just love those webbed leaves! :D 

@Revive bit of an experiment really. As you know I like to try new things. We'll see what happens I suppose...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2