Ducksfoot double trouble

Crow River

Checked in on the polytunnel today, and no sign of any seedlings. 

Maybe it's been too cold, in which case something might happen over the next week. Or maybe the seeds are just not viable. 

Either way, I'll give it another week. If still nothing happening, might have to go back to tried and tested window sill germination. Maybe do germ tests on the beans from the crosses to check if they're viable at all...

• Like 4

Give em a bit more time mucker 👍

As more is betterer  :yes:  Get a back up 2nd wave going , at worst you get to pick your favs and neglect the others.    

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

@OldFordAch, there's no big rush. We just had a fair bit of nice sunshine this past week after all that rain, so was hoping a few wee seedlings would have emerged to soak up the sun. Might well do another batch at the window sill if this lot don't show. Was planning on wetting some auto beans in a week or so, might wait until I have some photos germinated...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

Best to germinate indoors in a stable room temperature environment anyway, although early in the season the greenhouse can warm up pretty nicely (sometimes even a bit too warm) the nights are cold. And this big difference in temperature as well as humidity is just not very suited for germinating seedlings mate.

Just take them inside, on the window sill without direct sunlight or place them in a dark closet at stable room temperatures (around 18-22 degrees) and you they will probably do fine 😉 Good luck man, will be nice to see those Frisian Duck crosses you've made, I wonder if we will see some webbed leaves in them.. cheerio

• Like 5

@Antonio_DutchPassion cheers man. Just thought I would give outdoor germination a try. TBH I don't really need to grow anything this year, so I'm experimenting a bit. If it doesn't work out, I've got seeds and time yet... :) 

• Like 2

Went to the polytunnel to check on how things are going, and two seedlings have broken the soil. :) The Frisian Duck F2/S1* have emerged, and looking healthy. No sign of the others yet. That's this season's grow on the way now...

large.IMG_20240430_171129.jpg.b660e378618ea7d6c8e8588bf3ccd565.jpglarge.IMG_20240430_171141.jpg.47ccb8434414d8bacf24d46c8d1d4a61.jpg

* - Crossed two clones from the same plant, one reversed. It's either an F2 or S1, I'm not sure.

• Like 4

Was at the polytunnel this afternoon. 

The two F2/S1 seedlings have grown a tiny bit, second leaves are doing well on one but the other's a bit behind. No sign of the others. I'll soak some more beans from the other crosses at home, see if they germinate. Was supposed to start some auto beans this week, but I'll leave it a week.

Weather is getting a bit warmer now, so hopefully the wee seedlings will speed up a bit...

large.IMG_20240505_153248.jpg.bdbe7859de14cbcb2be6069df198da73.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

When I left the polytunnel on Sunday, I decided to leave the lid off the propagator. That turned out to be a big mistake. I went down today, half expecting the seedlings to have dried out. That wasn't the problem though. A rat had got in, and as well as eating all the slug pellets out of the bottle, the wee fucker knocked all the paper pots over, and munched one of the two seedlings! 🤬☠️💀

One seedling had survived, but the pot was on its side so it was growing sideways...

This is after I righted all the pots. Reckon it must have happened fairly recently, as the stem of the munched seedling is still turgid. You can see the wee bastard has torn open some of the pots.

large.IMG_20240510_173710_927.jpg.c1804e28539c11366b20aa4ef62e6f7a.jpg

I know it was a rat because it has visited before, and the tell-tale hole in the corner of a raised bed in the polytunnel was there.

Oh well. I suppose I'll need to wet some more beans from those crosses then. :) I'll germinate them at home this time though. 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2
  • WOW 2

What a fuker mate :(

get a rat trap down with some poison and teach the horrible fuker a lesson.

I hate rats with a vengeance after what they did to my m3 last year after getting in my lockup :wallbash:

• Like 2

@Revive oh I've tried putting poison bait down before, made no difference. They're not just evil, they're intelligent too.

Anyway, just wet two Frisian Duck x Super Kush beans, see if they sink.....I have plenty of them so I can germ test them without worrying too much.

• Like 3

Popped by the polytunnel to see how things are going.

The surviving Frisian Duck F2/S1 seedling is doing okay, onto its second set of true leaves now. Maybe a bit slow but that's fine. I might pot her up next visit. Two auto seedlings have sprouted. No sign of the others yet. 

large.IMG_20240515_180111_036.jpg.cf341bd54af8566193e0fd86cf6ec28b.jpg

Frisian Duck F2/S1

large.IMG_20240515_180120_223.jpg.59a1b9dc0531c4a8f2d4551e48ef767a.jpg

• Like 5

Back at the polytunnel today.

A new auto seedling has sprouted over the past few days, no sign of the other three autos yet. A quick check of the surviving Frisian Duck F2/S1 showed that roots were starting to break through the sides of the paper pot. So I potted her up in a fairly large pot. She can stay in this, and once she's rooted it out she'll go outside. I added some copper tape and a home made slug barrier - hopefully this will help keep slugs and snails at bay if we get a wet spell of weather...

large.IMG_20240518_160507_195.jpg.f35060f94e96a0f02ccccd53eaf3e9e9.jpg

large.IMG_20240518_162620_105.jpg.4d6217365e4ab9657df2f55fc27682ec.jpglarge.IMG_20240518_180421_045.jpg.ef8fb746ec3eadafa316b9708df5cf3e.jpg

• Like 3