Ducksfoot double trouble

Crow River

Looking good mate! Glad to see the topped ones doing fine, but personally I would never take away the main cola of an auto, and especially not outdoor where there are no 'real' height restrictions, auto's remain small anyway but I understand you want to be as careful as possible:pitchfork:

Regarding the tops that flower already, it ain't weird, it happens with clones that are being taken during the start of flowering when they are no visible tops yet as well, where the plant is already on 12/12 for a week or so. They don't need to root to progress in their flowering cycle, in the end when they reveg, they make up for some nice monstercropped clones/plants. Often resulting in big ladies, strong stems and big buds, only with photoperiods though!

I personally always wondered what auto's did when cloned but not once have I seen a fully grown plant again, so starting from seed is always recommended imo.

Keep it up,looks like the Frisian Duck is ready to go outside!! :hippy:

• Like 2

@Antonio_DutchPassion thanks for the feedback. 

I have cloned autos successfully before, but that was indoors in a tent or at the window. The cold spell we had in May slowed these Auto Duck girls down a bit I think, so they took a while to get to five nodes ready for topping. As it turns out, they flowered shortly afterwards. IIRC I topped my other autos around 3 or 4 weeks, and the clones, while smaller, rooted and grew to a reasonable size before flowering. No such luck this time! Must have been taken too late... Never mind. I wonder if unrooted, flowering clones can be pollinated? :D

The two bigger girls are pretty much hiding in plain sight, so I want to keep them low. Last year I grew a couple of Auto Duck in the polytunnel, one grew to nearly a metre high (plus pot) and I wanted to avoid that in the new location. I know what you mean about the main cola, but stealth is more important with this particular plot...

A few Frisian Duck clones seem to have rooted, so I will be looking to get one planted out next week if possible. :yep:

• Like 2

I fully understand mate!:yep:

I think you can definitely pollinate them, not sure if it will succeed, since they will be focused on rooting too, but its worth giving it a shot right! Keep it up man, all the best:smokin:

• Like 3

Well one of the flowering cuts died. Must have been too much effort trying to root and flower at the same time. The other one (from the larger, vigorous pheno) is doing great, I might just dust with a bit of pollen...

Went to check on one of the Auto Duck plots yesterday evening. The two big girls are doing just fine, bushing out nicely. I'm noticing two distinct phenos: a large, vigorous, smooth broad leaf one; and a smaller, spikier, crinkly leaf one with oddly shaped buds. A few pics below. Focus not great on two, they were taken with a 14 year old cameraphone...

large.DSC04622.jpeglarge.DSC04623.jpeglarge.649d6df831d8a_DSC04624(1).jpeg

• Like 5

Was a bit windy to be transporting plants to the photoperiod plot, so I went to visit the Auto Ducks again. Had time to check on the smaller girls, hidden away in secret corners. Also took some better pics of the larger girls. In the process of looking at them all more closely, it seems clear that the smaller girls are quite behind the larger girls. This is partly to do with head starts, but also conditions. The bigger girls are in buckets of compost, coco with some perlite (the compost was mostly reused from indoor grows), and get long hours of full sun. The smaller girls are in native soil with some compost and coco mixed in. They get fewer hours of sun, and one has been nibbled by caterpillars (though that seems to have stopped, maybe they became butterflies to moths). Also the larger girls were topped, while the smaller ones are growing untrained. Still, they are all in flower. If all goes well, the larger girls should give a decent yield. Apart from anything else, it's certainly interesting seeing how the same strain responds to different conditions.

large.IMG_20230701_201739_797.jpeg

large.IMG_20230701_201750_296.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_201759_502.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_201809_788.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_201818_042.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_201825_577.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_201835_067.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_201844_959.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_203416_121.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_203427_332.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_204158_208.jpeg

large.IMG_20230701_204137_692.jpeglarge.IMG_20230701_204149_818.jpeg

• Like 7

OOOOh , now this IS INTERESTING, i've got a garden overlooked by some real nosey cunts all around, but they are all as thick as shit, and that is me being kind, really interested how this turns out, and if you managed to get some seeds out, that were stable, i'm sure if they happened to appear i'd be willing to do a leave  it and see type thing, very cool, LOL, this brings back such memory's the ducksfoot were yet again something that was just rearing it's head the last time i bothered to try and grow, along with any mention of ruderalis, as per dylan, the times they are a changing , very very cool

Would have to be a next year job obviously LOL, good ol time rolling on

Edited by MoT
  • Like 4

@MoT I'm going to try a cross with auto pollen on the Frisian Duck. If I manage to make seeds, depending on the numbers I harvest, could probably send some in as subbies. 

I really like the ducksfoot strains. It's becoming a bit of an interest. The camouflage aspect is surprisingly good. They seem to be liking outdoors so far...

• Like 3

Just now, Crow River said:

@MoT I'm going to try a cross with auto pollen on the Frisian Duck. If I manage to make seeds, depending on the numbers I harvest, could probably send some in as subbies. 

I really like the ducksfoot strains. It's becoming a bit of an interest. The camouflage aspect is surprisingly good. They seem to be liking outdoors so far...

I'd certainly be tempted with some auto's to sub! Even though as i keep pointing out i'm only just getting back into things, pissing about controlling light leaks, it's really really angered me in the past, really angered me.... crack of light that doesn't even seem to be there until flower and RUINED, i may change my mind as i get back into things, but i'm going to stick with trying to get good with auto's, at least for the moment, even though my current grow isn't the greatest, back in at the deep end and all that...., i do however like the idea of just dropping a few beans into the ground and seeing how they fare and  having something that doesn't look much different to the rest of the garbage in the garden, kind of, take care of itself (yeah i know it's not THAT simple :D )

• Like 3

@MoT if you want autos to try from the subbies, you won't go far wrong with @brock1's beans. AFAK they are all autos and fems, though Joshua is more a light sensitive semi-auto in my experience. Also @CheechChongReturns's beans are auto fems. So by reckoning you could nearly fill a lifetime subscription with auto fem subbed seeds! :yep: How things have changed indeed...

• Like 4

:george:      Dcuks are coming along ,  sorry to hear you lost a little one ,  but the big ones seems to be getting their groove on :wub:

The larger ones def look established and now seem to be focusing on growing up & out !      

I mean no offence !   But any duck grow always seems to be almost ragged & roughed up looking ,  you dont tend to see elegant duck plants lol      

Poss down to the structure ,  but they always look like the bird with the unbrushed hair lol 

Fingers crossed mate ,  always good to see a duck run play out !         

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Crow River said:

@MoT if you want autos to try from the subbies, you won't go far wrong with @brock1's beans. AFAK they are all autos and fems, though Joshua is more a light sensitive semi-auto in my experience. Also @CheechChongReturns's beans are auto fems. So by reckoning you could nearly fill a lifetime subscription with auto fem subbed seeds! :yep: How things have changed indeed...

Don't forget the killer Daze is also not auto :bong:

• Like 3

@brock1 is the killer daze cross  killer skunk x shd mate? I wrote it down somewhere but cant find where..I might be stoned im not sure anymore lol

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, OldFord said:

I mean no offence !   But any duck grow always seems to be almost ragged & roughed up looking ,  you dont tend to see elegant duck plants lol      

Poss down to the structure ,  but they always look like the bird with the unbrushed hair lol 

None taken mate. Maybe I'm just made different, but I find the ducksfoot strains very beautiful. Maybe because they're a bit weird and exotic. I also love the fact they don't really look like weed until late in flower. They're also pretty tough. I think they prefer real outside to the polytunnel though.

I have bunch of mutant strain regs from Terpyz, so I will be getting into weird looking cannabis in future... :yep:

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, OldFord said:

:george:      Dcuks are coming along ,  sorry to hear you lost a little one ,  but the big ones seems to be getting their groove on :wub:

The larger ones def look established and now seem to be focusing on growing up & out !      

Fingers crossed mate ,  always good to see a duck run play out !         

I am loving hit ducks the most. I will hopefully have some ugly duck auto's to send in ready for next year's outdoor season starting. I can't decide weather to call them ugly duck or lucky duck? Its going to be a SHD / blackberry gum x wally duckfoot F2 x manipuri / A3wtr ( Kumaoni, Ducksfoot & 1 other other Danish strain not given. The duckfoot was kingly donated drom a northern outdoor grower so it should be fairly hardy. 

I have always liked Ducksfoot but can't stand Australian bastard weed for some strange reason. I don't mind a freakshow show pic to. 

@Crow River you have quite a little selection of notations going on this year. Particularly looking forward to your freak show.  Keep up the good work :yep:

• Like 5

@brock1, thanks mate. I look forward to seeing some of your ducksfoot creations in the subbies section, hopefully. :) 

I think my favourite pheno is the bushy broad leaved vigorous one, but those little spiky ones are kinda cool too. :yep: As for the show, just getting started as there's outdoor Frisian Duck still to come...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 6