Ducksfoot double trouble

Crow River

It will be good to see this take shape @Crow River 

I see what your saying with her being an old girl, much more chance of doing some damage by pulling her around..when did the stem split bro? Has she recovered from it now?

Really hope it works for ya, will deffo keep her more low profile won't it :yep:

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Revive said:

when did the stem split bro? Has she recovered from it now?

Last week, it might have been the strong wind, but shortly after I tried LST and it cracked open where she'd been topped months ago. I wrapped a cable tie round and she seems to be fine now, hardly skipped a beat. 

It''ll probably be a week or two before I start the ScrOG. Want the Auto Ducks finished first.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Checked in on the Ducksfoot girls as I was in the area. I wanted to see if some of the Auto Ducks were ready to chop, and also how the Frisian Duck mum was getting on.

The Auto Ducks are all 98 days old. The two by the apple tree were pretty much ready. The smaller, spiky one was finished, so I took the whole plant. The larger, smooth leaved girl had a lot of faded, yellow, dying fan leaves. I removed these, then inspected the buds. Still a few white pistils at the tops of the uppers, but given the heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, and wet week ahead, I decided to harvest the uppers as they were pretty much cooked. I left the lowers to ripen up a bit as they were not ready. 

The two hidden Auto Ducks were a pair of contrasts. The smaller of the two was lying on her side, the cage having been knocked over. Reckon it was foxes as I hear their calls and see them a lot round there. I righted her, replaced her cage and checked for damage. One lower branch had snapped at the stem joint, so I removed it. Some leaves on the side closest to the ground had been munched by slugs, indeed I removed a couple of tiny ones. Decided to leave her for at least another week as she's nowhere near ready. The larger Auto Duck was fine. Steadily getting taller, the main cola getting quite large, but again a long way to go until she's ready to harvest. Some lower branches were trying to push through the cage too. This one looks promising, and I think the plot where she is has some stealth grow potential for next season - autos only because it is shaded from September onwards.

The Frisian Duck mum has grown quite a lot recently. She's really thriving now, so the cable tie did the trick. :yep: She'll definitely need training, so outdoor ScrOG it will be. Just as soon as the lowers on the big Auto Duck have even taken... In the meantime I gave her a top dress of chicken manure as she looked a bit pale.

Some of the buds from the larger Auto Duck were quite impressively large. While inspecting them in the evening sunshine, I picked a bright green caterpillar out of one... :) No mould anywhere on either girl. It's a real outdoor strain this, much better outside than in a polytunnel I think.

Three Ducks

large.IMG_20230730_190040.jpeg

Frisian Duck mum

large.IMG_20230730_190051.jpeg

Auto Ducks by the apple tree

large.IMG_20230730_190059.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_190123.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_190130.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_190109.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_190145.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_190153.jpeg

Hidden Auto Ducks (but not from foxes)

large.IMG_20230730_190511.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_190758.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_190748.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_191610.jpeglarge.IMG_20230730_191541.jpeg

• Like 8

@Antonio_DutchPassion Thanks! Just the lowers of the big Auto Duck left out by the apple tree; the other two I will let cook a while longer. Itching to get started with the ScrOG for the Frisian Duck mum... :) 

• Like 1

This afternoon, I took the final mum down to the bramble plot to plant out. I was apprehensive about the girls there, given they were looking hungry last visit. I needn’t have worried. The rain over the past two weeks seems to have delivered the fertiliser top dressed last time. They’re all looking very healthy. 

After planting the new arrival, I weeded around the plot and then top dressed with chicken manure and coco coir, plus bonemeal for any flowering girls, before mulching with straw. The idea is that it will help retain moisture, and stop the soil drying out so much. With a few dry days ahead, the timing is good. 

I’m pretty pleased with how the girls are getting on now. The tallest plants are around 150cm high, and presumably will grow a bit more over the next month or so. They are all bushing out too, so the plot is starting to look quite full… :)  

I’ll be back in a fortnight to check on them, and I will bring some tubs to pick brambles as they are ripening nicely and there are thousands! lol 

Plot on arrival

large.IMG_20230807_172856.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_172940.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_172950.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_173006.jpeg

Frisian Duck clone

large.IMG_20230807_173535.jpeg

Plot after weeding, top dress and mulch

large.IMG_20230807_184915.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_184952.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185002.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185027.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185537.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185546.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185559_1.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185609.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185812.jpeglarge.IMG_20230807_185823.jpeg

• Like 5

Went to check on the Ducksfoot girls today.

The lowers on the big Auto Duck by the apple tree were ready, so I chopped her. Found one tiny spot of rot on a smaller bud, removed and then bagged the rest. Frankly I'm surprised she didn't suffer more, the proper outdoors seems to suit this strain very well.

The two hidden Auto Duck are pretty much ready. One has begun to fade visibly, she is now shaded for much of the day. The other, larger one gets more sun and leaves are not fading yet. They're both 107 days old, but given their environment I'll let them have another week before chop. Possibly a bit longer for the bigger girl.

That's the first wave of autos nearly all finished. Will definitely be growing Ducksfoot autos again next season, very hardy.

Harvesting the big girl by the tree allowed me to move the Frisian Duck mum into position ready for ScrOG net training. I set up the mesh, and tucked a few of the tallest tops. A new adventure begins in outdoor ScrOG! :) 

Auto Duck x 2

large.IMG_20230810_163520.jpeglarge.IMG_20230810_163530.jpeglarge.IMG_20230810_164413.jpeglarge.IMG_20230810_164442.jpeg

Frisian Duck with ScrOG net

large.IMG_20230810_162950.jpeg

• Like 4

Just trimmed and jarred the uppers from the big smooth leaved and all the buds from the small spiky Auto Duck. Both had buds with quite an open, airy structure. The smooth leaved one had extremely leafy buds too. I'm still getting to grips with the various phenotypes of this strain, but I'd say last year's harvest (grown in the polytunnel) had buds that were somewhat denser. That might be why those two girls suffered from rot more - I lost at least half the entire crop. It's even possible that this year's girls adapted to the rainy conditions outdoors by growing a more open bud structure. As a result, next to no rot or mildew this time around - just a couple of really tiny patches found. 

It will be interesting to see how they compare in terms of potency once cured. Last year's Auto Duck proved surprisingly potent, definitely the White Widow coming through in the mix. I'll find out how this year's measure up in a couple of months... :) 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Crow River said:

It will be interesting to see how they compare in terms of potency once cured. Last year's Auto Duck proved surprisingly potent, definitely the White Widow coming through in the mix. I'll find out how this year's measure up in a couple of months... :) 

I grew a Duckfoot strain last year, and I am again this year because the smoke and high was lovely. Not the easiest plants I've ever grown. But I had a few 'Fuckin' hell whats that' when I passed the bifter on. Is it Sativa is it Indica no its Duckfoot and it can surf!

• Like 3

Morning :) and good growing @Crow River dude!

I’ve had a few variations in the Hawaiian Duck genetics i chucked about because it came from a three way cross that I had to dig the Duck out from.

Some hold their peculiar leaf shape and some kind of grow out of it, some stay green and some with a reddish darker hue, but all have been stinking and strong with a high a little different than the norm :stoned: 

I’ve had some pest and g-room issues when growing them but they’re pretty good strong plants over all 

I’ve never grown/smokes the Dutch? Frisian Duck or know that much about it. In an interview on the Pot Cast, Wally (Wally’s Duck) recons there’s a difference between the Australian and Hawaiian Duck which i find interesting 

large.8B2FFBD0-BC3B-499C-A18B-F923710343D9.jpeglarge.82789572-202B-4393-8F03-C32A5FDF500E.jpeglarge.082562AC-DEE6-44B2-A77E-5285CFA95435.jpeglarge.FB3D8A34-4CD4-409C-8598-B85A88391119.jpeglarge.292ECB9E-1D70-4D10-9372-1291C8FF7EED.jpeglarge.5D4A2613-302F-41C8-A182-C4D9B352FF43.jpeglarge.667F8C18-D5C8-48DA-8AD9-0FB8AAD4D804.jpeglarge.C60C20C8-CBD2-4DDF-B08B-2782E25E48E9.jpeg

definitely going to grow and explore more but works getting priority just now

take it easy guys :yinyang:

• Like 6

@twigs, lovely looking plants there. :yep: I do detect a different expression of the Ducksfoot there. I picked up some of your Electric Duck Buddaz F2 from the subbies a while back. I look forward to trying them out. :) Reading up on the Hawaiian Duck, the seed bank there seem to think it's been grown in Hawaii for 200 years or more!

• Like 2

thanks mate :) but i wish i had a plot like you’ve got dude..one day I hope!

Yes lol can’t be sure if it’s artistic license from the seed bank or not? but haveing been contacted by them, it does feel “da shit is legit” 

I mean Joseph Banks was trading seeds and stuff for water and food over that way in 1778 and i’m guessing Pacific Islanders were visiting and trading way before, so who knows! :stoned:  

thanks mate and good luck with your present and future grows :yinyang:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, twigs said:

i wish i had a plot like you’ve got dude..one day I hope!

No garden of my own, so I just make use of what I have access to. Hidden corners, discreet spots where nobody will look too closely. With a Ducksfoot strain that looks a bit like nettles or mint, it's pretty easy to do without raising suspicions of any curious passers-by... :yep:

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

Looking good @Crow River :realcool: The plants really took off, I didn't expect that tbh.. and it looks great when you topdressed them and gave them some new mulch, perfect GG-spot if you ask me, well done man! :thumsup: Which varieties do you have growing there now besides the photoperiod Frisian Duck? Shaman as well right?

@twigs Cool to see those pinkish bracts in the grinder, stunning! All the Ducksfoot genetics have something unique if you ask me..

• Like 2