Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

Personally I like the frame idea, if you had your intake feeding into it then you would be pulling air through it so it would heat the whole tent. Check out this thread by @blackpoolbouncer

If not just go for the smaller pot, that's still more than enough soil to fill a 1m tent. 

Cheers for that mate very helpful makes me more inclined to just build a room in the room it's just space is the prob. I had thought about cutting the tent I have for the door but it's the fuckin zip that's giving me the hassle :wallbash:

Sorry I didn't mean to complicate things lol. I was just talking about the way he had his tube heaters under the floor with the air being pulled past them.... 

Keep it simple mate, or as I often say to myself, "just get on with it" lol

26 minutes ago, Hazeytones said:

Cheers for that mate very helpful makes me more inclined to just build a room in the room it's just space is the prob. I had thought about cutting the tent I have for the door but it's the fuckin zip that's giving me the hassle :wallbash:

Velcro stuck and stapled on the tent should solve this 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Sorry I didn't mean to complicate things lol. I was just talking about the way he had his tube heaters under the floor with the air being pulled past them.... 

Keep it simple mate, or as I often say to myself, "just get on with it" lol

No mate your really helping me out.

Do you think if I built a frame to put the tent on with the heaters underneath and attached the intake to this it would help with humidity?

Atm I have a 1.2m heat matt under my pots and two 1.2m tube heaters but it's a nightmare for drying the air out but keeps the temps up. I have the matt and tube on different stats one for the roots and one for the air temps.

If I were to put the heaters under the tent would I just put the probe in the tent for air temps and then just my matt on a separate sat for roots? Or just put the probe in the pot and hopefully that would be enough to keep air temps about right?... I have a feeling drawing warm air from underneath would help with the low humidity issues compared to having the tubes in the tent. 

Cheers mate happy new year. 

I'm not sure if that would work or not TBF, you might just have to try it and see. Higher temperatures will always drop humidity, to combat that people usually just run extraction on a lower setting (providing your light doesn't put out too much heat) or maybe get a humidifier, I use the first option, during veg my fan sits on the lowest setting and then ramps up when it reaches 80% humidity to bring it back down (I then worry more about air temps for stretch and then aim for below 60% for the last few weeks of flower), obviously not all fans can do that though hence the humidifier option. My plants always seem happy enough down to about 45% but they definitely grow a lot faster above 60%. 

Also as a foot note, having a huge bed of moist soil usually means you'll have higher humidity than you did growing with pots, so keep that in mind, you might find it all comes out in the wash. 

Happy new year :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup

Cheers mate think it'll be a bit of trail and air to see what works best. Ive thought about the amount of moist soil aswell which would deffo help... Even on my lowest setting I struggle to get to 50% but as you say that's in pots and I've only got 3 15l pots so 45l compared to 250l I'd say would make a big difference. 

Hazeytone, I i had a problem with a zip on a tent, was gonna bin it but went on youtube first how to mend a zip, I think it was just a case of a pair of pliers to fix it, ended up saving me 150 quid.The problem was the zip would open up again when it was zipped up, a couple of minutes and the zip was working again. Still working good after 2 or years, well worth trying mate.

Yeah I've tightened the bottom with pliers a few times... It never opens itself just more a bit of a fuck about to get it engaged fully.... It will probably be OK I'm just a bit paranoid to go ahead with the cost of the bed and soil for it to possibly fuck up and not be able to move the bed. Saying that it's perfect other than that and I do prefer a rectangular footprint so I might just live with it. 

• Like 2

Has anyone any experience with plastic pallets? I've been thinking one of these with the bed on top with my heaters underneath. Would they be up to holding the weight of a 250l bed? I just don't like the idea of a bed on the matt. 

Also any views on a 3x3 bed in a 1m tent the bed is actually 84cm so leaving me 8cm between the bed and the walls.... Would this be enough for airflow around the bed? 

There 25% off atm so was thinking of going for one. 

That's all I've got around the edges, maybe less on 2 of the sides. You might find it better to mount the tube heaters level with the top of the bed with a fan blowing over each of them (that's how I have mine and it works better than on the floor). A pallet can hold 1 tonne. 

Cheers mate 

I was thinking two tubes under the bed for soil temps and two level with bed for air temps both on separate inkbirds. Do you not think I'd need to bother with ones underneath? Either under a pallet or frame with a ply board. 

Oh sorry thought you where using a heat mat underneath. 

16 hours ago, Hazeytones said:

I just don't like the idea of a bed on the matt. 

Ideally you'd have seperate control over root and air temperature although as you can see in the shedache thread you can get away with just using the ones below the bed(s) if your clever about it. If you look at the grows he's done in that space the results speak for themselves. 

Until my most recent crop I just ran 2 tube heaters on the floor either side of my bed, running off a probe in the soil set to 25°c and my plants where perfectly happy and healthy even with quite big air temperature fluctuations, so you don't need all the bells and whistles to get good results. I have since added seperate heaters for roots and air but only so I can use a negative temperature differential to minimise stretch, my plant's aren't any more vigurous or healthy than before and I don't think it's really helped with yield, so IMO root temps are the most important (at least for organic soil). 

Sorry should have been more clear, I was going to use a matt under the bed but think it might be a better idea to have a couple of tubes under the tent atleast if I have access to them if I have any problems I'd be able to change the heater... Could be a hassle with the bed on the matt. I've only ever used a heat matt under my pots I'm assuming a frame built with a ply board with the tent sat on top would still be enough heat to the soil?