Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

7 minutes ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

I can go 1 or even 2 weeks without watering depending on stage with no harm to the plants.

I would have thought this would be the case with such a large volume of soil... say a 2x4 bed being approximately 250 litres that's a lot of soil to water so I'm sure it would be wet for a while... How do you gauge how much to water? 

2 minutes ago, Hazeytones said:

I would have thought this would be the case with such a large volume of soil...

Ah, maybe that's what I didn't say. When I tried previously I was always using pots, rather than beds. 30Ls iirc. I like to move plants around so beds don't suit me too well.

11l is fuck all though dude. My beds 500l. Small notill is possible but for exactly these sort of reasons is not really very practical. It's a big permanent bed or at least pretty big pots in wheels. Smaller you go harder it gets. Like fish tank keeping.

I judge how much water it needs by looking at the plants, feeling the base of the fabric pot and giving the soil a poking.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

11l is fuck all though dude.

23 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Ah, maybe that's what I didn't say. When I tried previously I was always using pots, rather than beds. 30Ls iirc. I like to move plants around so beds don't suit me too well.

11L is what I'm currently running bud and they aren't no till. I used it as an example for how quickly pots dry up in my room.

Well yes, that's what I'm saying. 11l would dry that fast in my room too. 30l wouldn't last that long either no till or not. It's not the notill watering that's the problem, it's the pot choice.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 1

Just now, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Well yes, that's what I'm saying. 11l would dry that fast in my room too. 30l wouldn't last that long either no till or not. It's not the notill watering that's the problem, it's the pot choice.

Like I said, beds aren't really an option for me. I need them to be mobile :(

4 hours ago, SkyRider said:

Well rooted plants drink a lot in my room bud. Got 11L pots drinking 2.5-3Ls a day atm.

That's not no till though. 

E2A should have finished reading before I replied lol.

EA2A a plant will drink the same no matter what pot it's in (extreme examples excluded). 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

11l is fuck all though dude. My beds 500l. Small notill is possible but for exactly these sort of reasons is not really very practical. It's a big permanent bed or at least pretty big pots in wheels. Smaller you go harder it gets. Like fish tank keeping.

I judge how much water it needs by looking at the plants, feeling the base of the fabric pot and giving the soil a poking.

I keep fish too and was thinking of it along the same lines... as in more volume of water the more room for error you have with parameters and was thinking the same for the soil.... Its very difficult to keep a small fish tank where you want it. 

So manually hand watering a 250l bed wouldn't be out of the question? 

23 minutes ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Nope

Sweet I might have to bite the bullet and just jump in. I had planned on getting another 80x80 tent but might try and go to a 1m and go for a 3x3 bed and if all goes well go for a 4x2 in my big tent and work between the two tents.... Only thing is a 1m will be a tight squeeze do you reckon a gap of about a foot would be OK between tent? 

I get on fine with my 45L bed, not sure if it'll run as smoothly as time goes on but so far so good. But yeah bigger is best. 

• Like 1

Also 3 foot is 91cm so you'll have 45mm either side of it, probably a wee bit tight. 

You don't really need one of those fancy beds though. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

Also 3 foot is 91cm so you'll have 45mm either side of it, probably a wee bit tight. 

Sorry I ment as in having a gap of about a foot between the tents... If I went for a 1m I'd be right up nearly touching the other tent... If I went an 80 I'd have a bit more room... But like you say a 3x3 bed in a 1m tent doesn't leave much room for a heater...or anything for that matter. Would probably be better going for an 80x80 with a large pot... I think they do a 75 litre pot that's about 50cm diameter for £15.

Oh right lol, no idea about that sort of thing, although my tent is pretty much enclosed on 3 sides with no issues. 

That's not a bad price, I thought they where waaaay more. Which brand are we taking about? 

44 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

That's not a bad price, I thought they where waaaay more. Which brand are we taking about? 

The grassroots ones but that's for a pot not the bed but they go right up to 380l for like £38 but the beds are over £100

Edited by Hazeytones
  • Like 1