Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

On 15/01/2023 at 4:34 PM, Hazeytones said:

I'll see how I get on I might just build a box to connect to the veg space. Also a bonus to have if I run different strains at the same time which has always been a pain. Hate leaving plants or chopping to early.

What I sometimes do is sit the pots from my veg tent on top of the bed, flip the lights to 20/4 and then dry in the veg tent. I have also dried in the tent with the 3x3 bed still in there and it still dried nice.

Edited by GrowCrazy
  • Like 3

@GrowCrazyI've thought about this but would only work if all my flowering plants were done at the same time and also my veg space isn't big enough anymore as I'm going to use my 80x80 for another flower space.

Do you have problems with high humidity drying in the tent with the bed in? Or notice problems with no light for a couple of weeks?

cheers:smokin:

Edited by Hazeytones
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does no-till have any disadvantages outdoors? 

Stuck for time this year. Seems it would be much quicker to build soil mounds than dig/prep holes..

how about the colder months? Any negative effects on roots or anything else? 

Cheers.

Am doing my own research lol tho learn better from discussion/other experience 

Edited by AnonyMice

15 hours ago, AnonyMice said:

Does no-till have any disadvantages outdoors? 

No 

Charles Dowding is the one you want to watch for info on outdoor no till. Have a look through @blackpoolbouncers threads, he's got some good information as well. And have a look at the Mendo Dope guys on YT for some inspiration. 

In a GG setting it can be swings and roundabouts. If you have to drag a lot of extra material in over a long distance then digging holes etc is sometimes less work. I seem to remember yours being pretty close to home though so it may well be the right way to go. 

• Like 3

Thanks man @MindSoup

will watch some later on after today’s commitments, and a take a scroll through some of Blackpool’s relevant threads :) 

I’ve only dug 4 small holes so far. Thinking of digging another 6.

10 in holes and the rest in no-till beds/mounds. Less maintenance in long run.. 

with a bed will it get better as years go on if looked after? 

Fluffy black forest soil - can I amend and use this for my beds? 

I’ve read it’s low in nutrients but a great medium. I know a place it’s meters deep. big slopes of soil been composting naturally for years 

58 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

with a bed will it get better as years go on if looked after? 

Yes 

59 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

Fluffy black forest soil - can I amend and use this for my beds? 

Sounds lovely, I'm certainly no expert on soil but when I'm looking for a plot it's the texture of the soil I'm most interested in, adding fertiliser/nutrients is easy, improving soil texture takes a lot more time and effort. 

• Like 2

This will explain things :hippy:. It's a whole playlist, open it in YouTube and you'll see it. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

Running no till is something I've been eyeballin' for a while now, mostly the prospect of not having to fuck around with nutes what appeals to me, but also as I'm fairly organic(biobizz) already, it seems like the next natural step.

This will no doubt be the first of many, but one question that always comes to mind, is rootballs - assuming you remove them from the soil afterwards?

If we are then removing the space that was occupied by the roots, and replace with new soil, how different is that to a pot of soil, aside from we're just using a (much) bigger bucket?

I run in a 2.4 x 1.2 - I'm quite tempted to get a 3x3 bed and run it on one side, to start with - I'd just need to read up first. 

1 hour ago, unity said:

rootballs - assuming you remove them from the soil afterwards?

No you leave them in, the worms and mircobes etc munch them all up. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I was leaving them in. Moving forward though I'm putting them through a seperate worm bin, along with all chopped plant matter including cover crop trim. I'm amending with the casting from that bin, and a bit of meadow hay to top dress if needed.

Only reason being is I don't want any repeat of the fusarium infestation ever again and so I'm removing the bulk of the rootball as a precautionary measure. No harm in it as it'll be going through the worm bin which should remove the majority of any potential nasties, and eventually be going back in. 

Probably over the top though, and yes my soil and worms always made short work of the old ones.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well I finished my first run in living soil and have had mixed results.

I definitely overwatered the pot at the start which seemed to be the start of a fungus gnat infestation. I got that under control by adding some nematodes and sticky traps.

All was going well through veg and the plant was growing vigorously. Once I flipped to flower things were still looking good and had lots of bud sites and were forming nicely.

Once I got to about week 5-6 things started to go downhill a bit. I noticed leaves tight into the buds started to curl and die off, similar looking to what @lildaveham had with his celia. I kept things going to just under 9 weeks then chopped.

I think the biggest problem has been my watering. I know that I have overwatered the pot and also let it get too dry on occasions which has obviously had an effect.

Going forward I'm not to sure what I'm going to do. I have had to strip my room down due to an electrical problem  that happened about 2 weeks before chop due to a power cut! :wallbash:That left my running extension leads to my grow from a different circuit to get things finished. This is going to need looking at before I start again. It has given me the chance to think about where to go from here.

I'll be rebuilding once the electrics is sorted but has brought to light the potential problem of no till in a scenario where you need to shut down. If I had the 3x3 bed which I have bought set up I'd never be able to move it. Another downside is that I can't really veg plants to flowering size before going in the bed meaning each run is longer.

I'll just have to think about whether to continue down the no till route and put more money into setting up the 3x3 or cut my losses and go back to the clover mpc.

The vape test will help with that :smokin: