Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

Yeah that's what was thinking saves the hassle and I don't really have alot of spare space in my room for mixing.

What you reckon for a cover crop and mulch? Is there much of a difference? 

Barley straw is the one of the most common mulches, clover, rye grass and buckwheat etc for cover crops, but it's not as rigid as all that. There's a lot of room for improvisation/deviation so it's a lot about using what you have/feel like in a way.  

• Like 2

What do you guys put your no till pots/beds on? Do they need to go on a tray or would it be OK just straight onto the tent liner? I know your not really wanting run off so thought it might be OK just on the tent liner. 

Cheers 

If the liner is waterproof and you don't mind it getting manky with possible run off or whatever then do what you like!

I treat the tray as a failsafe, it's come in handy for sure.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lildaveham said:

@Hazeytones

I have mine sat on plastic gravel trap tile things so there is a gap between the tent floor and the pot.

:yinyang:

Yes I've seen them before that might actually work better for me :smokin:

Cheers 

• Like 1

@Hazeytones

I don't mate i have one on the left side where the passive intake is and a tube heater on the other side stood on its end. The probe that i buried under the plant when i put it in the pot reads a constant 20c-21c. I did think about putting a heat mat under the pot but i was worried about 100L+ of soil, water and plant sat on top would damage the heat mat. I thought about a warming cable too buried in a layer of sand then the pot on top of that but saw farmerpalmers heating cable accident and thought fuck that and went with the easiest but not very efficient way lol 

Its in no way perfect and in the height of winter i struggle to get air temps above 24c however the soil stays at 20c-21c, i guess because i am heating the soil mass from both sides and it retains the heat. 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@lildaveham

Cheers man. Yeah I have my pots on saucers on top of a mat keeping my soil temps 21c and then two tube heaters maintaing my air temps. I was planning on putting the bed on top of the mat but as you've said a bit concerned about the soil etc on top damaging the mat. Something else to have a bit of a think about.... I guess maintaining a stable soil temp is quite important with living soil? 

If you're indoors and you're not soaking the soil with cold water I wouldn't worry about the temps especially if you're maintaining a baseline for the plants anyway.

I fill my res or sprayer bottle in the shower with it set to 1 bar of heat and the mixer near cold just to take the chill off and obviously not warm enough to do any damage.

My rad is set to 21C which is pushing the ambient to 23C when it's heated up before clicking off.

18 would be minimum but that's more on the side of cold where the activity in the soil slows.

• Like 1

@Exhale

Cheers dude I would have thought maintaining the soil temps to be more important with living soil, but like you say if your ambient is right the soil temp shouldn't be far away. Although saying that I noticed a great improvement in growth in just clover mpc since using a mat on a stat.:smokin:

Edited by Hazeytones
  • Like 1

I keep my roots at 24/25° think I picked that up from one of BPBs diaries, it definitely works well, but from looking at Dave's diary it's certainly not crucial. I'd say 21 is a good minimum, below that I start to get issues. 

• Like 3

@MindSoup

Thats a couple of degrees warmer than I'd have thought... But really your wanting to try keep it over 20 then seems to be the general idea. 

Hope you had a good time away mate. :smokin:

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty warm, but it doesn't really take a lot of energy to keep it there. The plants seem to love it, gets the microbes farting real good lol

Rotterdam was good cheers dude, nice place, mad architecture. 

• Like 1