Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

On 06/11/2022 at 9:28 AM, Hazeytones said:

Hi @mindsoup cheers for the advice I know ecothrive have teamed up with indoor organics to make the ecolife but indoor organics seem to do there own mix called soil for life and if I remember correctly when I was talking to them before the soil for life uses coco instead of peat and also has biochar... Do you think this would be a better mix? I was also lead to believe that it's maybe more cost effective to buy premixed once you take into account buying the ammendments... Maybe not although I wouldn't fancy fuckin the mix up and quitting before really seeing what it's all about. So think a pre mix might be the way I'd go.... But it is definitely expensive to start. 

better for the enviroment, thats for sure

• Like 1

Well I've decided to go with the blusoak for both the 90l pot and the 3x3 bed. Just have to wait on some more soil and I'll be up and going again. After a good chat with the guys at ecothrive I'm going for the new blusoak 2.0 which has been improved to run off a tank at a lower height :thumsup:

Couple of questions for anyone running gravity fed blumat systems @Ned The Head @MindSoup

Do you have a hole in the reservoir lid? I would imagine if not it would fuck with the pressure.

Do you have a pump in the tank to circulate the water? I was thinking a maxi jet or something I'd have knocking about.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hope everyone's doing well.

I've ran into a bit of trouble with fungus gnats recently, I've added some nematodes, mites and plenty of sticky traps it's made a big difference but they aren't completely gone.

I was going to order a bottle of Tanlin but wasn't sure if it would be safe to use with predators, worms etc.

If anyone in living soil has used it is it OK to use or best to stick with what I've done?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

@Hazeytones

I solved my thrip/fungus gnat issue with Rove beetles. One application and I haven’t seen a thrip or fungus gnat again. 

I use tanlin on my vegging plants and along with sticky traps it has reduced the number significantly but not completely. 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I don’t know if it’s in keeping with living soil,

but you could get some Mosquito Bits from The big river :yep:

They Contain stuff called Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis which is naturally occurring,

so I think it’s suitable,

but @lildaveham will know more :) 

Atb

• Like 1

Thanks @lildaveham @Shumroom

I actually added a couple of rove beetles I found but they only lasted a few weeks, I think maybe rove beetle larvae may be more effective but not sure. Where did you get the rove beetles from?

I think I might get a bottle of tanlin to have for veg plants, but leave treating the beds with it.

I was just a bit concerned that it would kill my mites, I think I read that it's ingested then basically bursts the gut of the fungus gnats which I'm sure could also be the case for the mites.

:smokin:

51 minutes ago, Hazeytones said:

Where did you get the rove beetles from?

They ain’t cheap just to give you a heads up. 

PM’d you :yep:

Not really a cure but a once you've got them back under control a good preventive measure is too add some neem meal to your top dressing mix, it makes your soil a far less welcoming place for anything that feeds on live plants. Also if fungus gnats are persistent you might just be keeping your soil a bit too moist.  

Roves do seem to be the key ingredient for pest management, pretty much everyone I see having long term success with pest control in no till has rove beetles. 

Cheers @lildaveham I'll get a look.

@MindSoup I'll definitely keep the neem in mind, prevention is better than cure and all that. It's definitely heading the right way with the nematodes, mites and traps but think a population of rove beetles would be a bonus for sure, the couple I found and added didn't last too long though.