Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

@Exhale sweet mate cheers for the advice... I definitely think I'm going to give it ago.... I'll do a pot in an 80x80 and if it suits me I'll put a 2x4 bed in my bigger tent. I think it's definitely the way I want my hobby to head it just seems such more natural. :bong:

@Hazeytones

Firstly to answer your question, for me yes it’s worth it.

I grow in a 75x75x160 budbox with living soil in a 112l fabric pot.

Its all documented here if you fancy a read…

I would counter your first question with another … 

What do you want out of living soil growing? What are your expectations?

:yinyang:

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, lildaveham said:

@Hazeytones

Firstly to answer your question, for me yes it’s worth it.

I grow in a 75x75x160 budbox with living soil in a 112l fabric pot.

Its all documented here if you fancy a read…

I would counter your first question with another … 

What do you want out of living soil growing? What are your expectations?

:yinyang:

Thanks for your reply @lildaveham

Well to be honest my main drive is flavour as well as trying to be a bit more sustainable. Also if I can avoid buying nutes would be great. 

I'm not too bothered about yield if that bit extra in flavour was there. 

I'm growing in a 3x3 tent using a grass roots 240l pot. Filled with ecolife soil, worms, cover crop, and a Mulch layer. The pot pretty much fills the whole of the tent up. I've just cable tied 2 tube heaters to poles on the side of the tent. Seems to be working alrigh, first time growing in 10 years and thought I'd try the no till way. Go for it I say mate 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pufftastic said:

I'm growing in a 3x3 tent using a grass roots 240l pot. Filled with ecolife soil, worms, cover crop, and a Mulch layer. The pot pretty much fills the whole of the tent up. I've just cable tied 2 tube heaters to poles on the side of the tent. Seems to be working alrigh, first time growing in 10 years and thought I'd try the no till way. Go for it I say mate 

Firstly welcome to the site. You'll get plenty of help and advice around these parts.

Yeah mate think I'm going to get myself sorted and have a crack at it. I was going to go a bit smaller than your pot but will be one plant.... Then if all goes well go for a 2x4 bed in my bigger tent. 

Do you hand water your pot? :smokin:

@Hazeytones your definitely going in the right direction if you’re looking more flavour

fyi, the main reason I’ve gone organic and notill was to escape all the bull shit round bottled nutrients, but be careful cos all the bullshit is now moving to “living soil”!.

My advice for what it’s worth is just go for diversity I.e. use as main different types of Soils/bags of compost, manures, sand, grit, leaf mould (from old woodland), bio char, worms, contents of the kitchen caddy, broken old terracotta pots and mines even got bones from the butcher!

The more I grow the more it stands out that soils diversity is the most important thing and plenty of water in the first month so the roots can easily penetrate the soil! Bigger roots = bigger plants

good luck and feel free to completely ignore me

best

Monkey

@MindSoup thanks for the love and same to you mate :yep:

Edited by Wooden Monkey

Cheers @Wooden Monkey I'm gonna get this run finished and do a bit more research and see if I can get a pot setup to try for the next run although I just put some of @ratdog killerskunk x ssdd x smile in for a swim... So it might end up being after them. 

• Like 2

@Hazeytones thanks I just realised that was my first post! I've been lurking for a little while. Taking in all the great information on here! 

I've brought my self a blumat kit for the size pot I'm using but I've not set it up yet It's only been going 1 week so far i soaked the soil with probably 7/8 litres of water when i set the pot up to begin with 

I've got digital soil meter thingy lol from what I read I need to keep it around the 100/120 mark ? Not sure if anyone can help on that point? It's currently at 78 now so haven't waterd since set up 

I would love a massive living soil bed if I had the room. Look forward to seeing yours hopefully 

1 minute ago, Pufftastic said:

@Hazeytones

I've got digital soil meter thingy lol from what I read I need to keep it around the 100/120 mark ? Not sure if anyone can help on that point? It's currently at 78 now so haven't waterd since set up 

I can't help you with that mate I'm sure someone will be able to give you the advice you need... I'm still in the researching stage of this style of growing.

I think @lildavehamuses the blumats and he's definitely got the knowledge to be giving advice having read his thread. :smokin:

• Like 1

I don't use the moisture meter thing but there's a brilliant guide on Blumats by Rolling Green Acres on YT that goes into all the detail you need. 

• Like 1

Think I have my plan sorted... 

80x80 tent with a 115l grassroots pot and either ecolife soil or indoor organics soil for life. :smokin:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Yeeeeeeessssss. Get the one with Biochar, or add it before you mix, it's incredible stuff, worth a Google. 

Cheers dude that's the soil for life that has it in and think there's another few extras too :smokin:

Just seen you can get the ecolife with added bio char... They are charging the same as the soil for life so £50 a tenner more than just the normal eco life but probably worth it. 

Edited by Hazeytones

I think it's about 25 quid for 30L on the bay, so whichever works out cheaper, although having it already in the mix would mean you could skip having to charge it.