Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

Just a quick question @MindSoup or @Exhale or any other no till grower might be able to help me with.

At harvest I chop and hang my plants in the tent they were grown in for about 2 weeks.

Is this still a good idea with having a bed of moist soil in the tent with extraction turned right down? Would it be better to cover the bed with something?

Also the fact there would be no light on for those two weeks, would this be an issue?

I don't really want to build a separate drying space if possible, but if it's necessary I could knock something together.

Cheers:smokin:

• Like 2

Pretty sure that was Jeremy did on one (or maybe more) of the Build a Soil series, don't think he covered anything up, so yeah you should be fine, the bed will spring back into life pretty quickly. He's a good one to watch to learn just about everything you need to know, just try not to get caught up in all the additives he uses, most of them aren't really necessary, he is a salesman at the end of the day.

Cool man I'll check them out. I just thought maybe having no light on for a couple of weeks might fuck up a bit.

• Like 1

Yeah it definitely isn't the absolute optimal thing for the bed, but the microbiology in the soil is super resilient so it won't do it any real harm,maybe give the bed a nice WC tea or something like Ecothrive biosys when you get it back up and running for a bit of a boost.

The only thing that might not love it is any above ground predators but if you have a veg space you might be able to keep a population going in there. 

I'll see how I get on I might just build a box to connect to the veg space. Also a bonus to have if I run different strains at the same time which has always been a pain. Hate leaving plants or chopping to early.

• Like 1

Yeah if you have room for it then a seperate space for drying is always a winner. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

On topic and a bit off.Years ago I was all over organic gardening indoors and still do  I.e some plots which results in a third of my plants but how different are organic nutrients compared to salt chemical based nutrients went everything is broken down enough for plants to take said nutrients.Is organic nitrogen different chemically to pellet powder liquid nitrogen peace Goohfy.

• Like 1

Who here thinks there plants are better for organic fertiliser.smoke taste, size etc?I don’t think it does but yet I keep a few outdoor plots totally covered because I don’t have to much to add as they are the original plots which makes it easier just like no till outdoors peace Goohfy.

I think you can get as close as is possible to perfect results with just about any method if you master it. For me going organic is more about sustainability and the fact it aligns more with my intuition. It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't argue that it's superior to any other way of growing in terms of the quality and yield. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Goohfy said:

how different are organic nutrients compared to salt chemical based nutrients

it’s my understanding that the plant converts salt/ion nutes to organic matter to use in the plant

when you add organic nutes it is broken down (mineralised into ions) in the soil by microbes for the plant to use..

:yinyang:

• Like 2

This video (if it's the right one) explains it all pretty well, essentially what actually gets absorbed by the roots is the same thing wether your organic or salt based, it's just the mothid of delivery and the influence of microbiology that differ. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

I think a lot of people go organic with foods and growing because of the no toxic sprays and taking care of the soil and critters concept

either the plant converts it to organic or the microbes deal with the organics in the soil/compost 

+ feeding the soil/microbes for the future, adding, not taking away etc

I’d add that there is some satisfaction about growing using your own compost. My garden seemed to hold up better than neighbours who aren’t organic. My back garden is awash with pots and I don’t feed them, just gather them under the bird feeder in the winter and the bird shit gives them what they need for summer.
I’ve grown weed in NFT and I can honestly say Ive never seen stuff grow so quick, I just couldn’t be arsed with all the measuring and water lol

• Like 2