Polytunnel autoflower

Crow River

Thought I would update this thread for the new season.

My plans for the polytunnel this year so far:

Two autoflower strains: Micron Auto Tao (Top Tao Seeds) and Auto Bubblelicious (Nirvana). The Micron are regs, and the Bubblelicious fems. I have to thank @Machiavellian for inspiration here, read the posts in the UK Outdoor Strains thread. I won't use such large pots this year, instead I'll plant several of each strain in smaller pots. 

Might try and make some seeds using pollen from the Micron Auto Tao. Will also be using the polytunnel as a nursery for seedlings and clones before planting outside.

I will sacrifice a bit of stealth for maximum ventilation. The mesh windows will be open throughout, and I'm reducing the number of tomato plants and other veg in the polytunnel to improve airflow and reduce humidity. I've also ordered some solar powered fans to aid air circulation.

I'm aiming to have plants in the polytunnel late April / early May at the latest, to ensure an August finish or earlier.

Edited by Crow River
Spelling!
  • Like 4

Just now, Crow River said:

@CustardVape thanks! Just over two months until the start of the season... :) 

I know right, it's proper exciting. I'm cleaning out my greenhouse this weekend and putting some shading up. I love this time of year with spring round the corner....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Careful with the mesh vents. 
Only plants with any sign of rot for me last season were the 2 that were in the path of rain coming through the mesh. 

• Like 1

Well we shall see. I found out what happens when the vents are not open. Also when they are open, but it's super humid and cool with no breeze...

• Like 2

Brilliant wright up crow river 

Thank you.

How was the smoke/vape of the fully crued first auto duck.

Also in your opinion, do you think they would fair better outdoors, due to rot instead of a polytunnel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celtic voyager said:

Brilliant wright up crow river 

Thank you.

How was the smoke/vape of the fully crued first auto duck.

Also in your opinion, do you think they would fair better outdoors, due to rot instead of a polytunnel. 

You're welcome, glad you found it interesting. I have vaped the Auto Duck. It wasn't very strong, but is a nice relaxing high with a classic hash taste and aroma. I'll be planting some Auto Duck outdoors this year, so we'll see. I suspect the answer depends on how much rain we get, and whether it gets warm or stays cool.

• Like 1

Nice grow. How did you find the Ducksfoot smells? I will be playing with some soon i was gifted. I am told it can be nice lemon terps.

How did you deal with the morning condensation in the tunnel? I use to tap it of the tunnel and then shake it from the plants in the morning. It's not fun walking to work after a tunnel shower i found so just stopped doing it. 

Anyway just thought I would let you know I enjoyed your grow and look forward to another 1 this season. :yep:

• Like 1

@brock1

Glad you found the diary interesting. I was learning as I went along, first time growing anything in a polytunnel. Made a few mistakes, main ones being ventilation and overcrowding. I tried to grow too many plants of all kinds in there, will be paring back the numbers this year. That might help with humidity, but it was 80+% in there yesterday, with nothing growing... The vents do help, but only if there's a breeze and they are currently shut to protect the structure from winter gales.

I had no way of dealing with condensation, as I live a couple of miles away from the polytunnel so not realistic to shake it off in the morning. As to smell, nothing much until late flower, then it could get quite potent. Kind of a classic hash aroma. The stem and leaf rub was more lemony. I imagine smell during flower will be less of an issue with an open air grow. 

This year I hope to use solar powered fans to aid air movement. And I will keep the vents open as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

More info on plans for this year:

I am persevering with ducksfoot strains, will be trying Frisian Duck too this year. Might run some testers of other mutant strains as well if there's time/space...

Will be interested to see how you get on with your experiments. :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Crow River said:

@brock1

Glad you found the diary interesting. I was learning as I went along, first time growing anything in a polytunnel. Made a few mistakes, main ones being ventilation and overcrowding. I tried to grow too many plants of all kinds in there, will be paring back the numbers this year. That might help with humidity, but it was 80+% in there yesterday, with nothing growing... The vents do help, but only if there's a breeze and they are currently shut to protect the structure from winter gales.

I had no way of dealing with condensation, as I live a couple of miles away from the polytunnel so not realistic to shake it off in the morning. As to smell, nothing much until late flower, then it could get quite potent. Kind of a classic hash aroma. The stem and leaf rub was more lemony. I imagine smell during flower will be less of an issue with an open air grow. 

This year I hope to use solar powered fans to aid air movement. And I will keep the vents open as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

More info on plans for this year:

I am persevering with ducksfoot strains, will be trying Frisian Duck too this year. Might run some testers of other mutant strains as well if there's time/space...

Will be interested to see how you get on with your experiments. :) 

Another way I was going to try was cat litter as a path as it absorbs a lot of water. I never got around to it because I upgraded my tunnel.

• Like 1

Just now, brock1 said:

Another way I was going to try was cat litter as a path as it absorbs a lot of water. I never got around to it because I upgraded my tunnel.

Good idea, yeah maybe I'll try that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Crow River said:

Just over a week to go before I wet beans for this season's polytunnel grow... :) 

The very best with the run mate :yep:      

• Like 1

@OldFord, thanks mate. Hopefully I'll get the humidity better controlled this year. I'm taking @brock1's suggestion on board and will be dumping loads of cat litter on the floor, see if it helps...

• Like 2