Polytunnel autoflower

Crow River

@Baron von greenback, yeah it was grim at the time, but just a setback. I learned a valuable lesson about humidity, even for more mould resistant strains. The smell wasn't very strong until the last few weeks. Even then it wasn't so noticeable, though the buds themselves have a nice potent aroma, you need to get close up to take it in. 

The feminised ducksfoot from DP is called Frisian Duck. I'm going to be trying that next year. I have another Auto Duck growing in the polytunnel right now, she's about halfway through her life cycle. Will be interesting to see how she does.

• Like 1

Ok mate nice I going to be growing in a big greenhouse next year so been following these threads should have done this year but my neighbour grassed me up so couldn't risk it  don't know how I going to control heat and humidity yet no electric at my allotment was thinking solar panels  but then it's also trying to be stealth 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baron von greenback said:

don't know how I going to control heat and humidity yet no electric at my allotment was thinking solar panels  but then it's also trying to be stealth 

Yeah I looked into solar powered fans, but as you suggest a bit too conspicuous. I think the main thing is to have other stuff growing in there too. I've got tomatoes, peppers, aubergines all going on so the weed doesn't look so obvious. Also ducksfoot strains don't look like cannabis until quite late on.

I may have an issue doing a more conventional canna strain in there, but my strategy will be to try and keep the height low. Topping, pruning, LST before flowering starts. Hopefully that will mean they're not too obvious to a casual passerby. Still the problem of smell, we'll have to see how bad that gets.....maybe I'll keep the number of plants lower so it doesn't become overpowering. Allegedly Jack Herer doesn't have a typical weed smell. The pheno I have is kind of lemony and fruity from a stem rub.

Edited by Crow River

6 hours ago, Crow River said:

Yeah I looked into solar powered fans, but as you suggest a bit too conspicuous. I think the main thing is to have other stuff growing in there too. I've got tomatoes, peppers, aubergines all going on so the weed doesn't look so obvious. Also ducksfoot strains don't look like cannabis until quite late on.

I may have an issue doing a more conventional canna strain in there, but my strategy will be to try and keep the height low. Topping, pruning, LST before flowering starts. Hopefully that will mean they're not too obvious to a casual passerby. Still the problem of smell, we'll have to see how bad that gets.....maybe I'll keep the number of plants lower so it doesn't become overpowering. Allegedly Jack Herer doesn't have a typical weed smell. The pheno I have is kind of lemony and fruity from a stem rub.

Ye mate I was thinking about putting mint and lavender by the paths because when you touch them it's all you can smell I just grew that Jack herer but I had other plants growing so I couldn't say which smelt

• Like 1

Ye Lillie's I was talking to ratdog ithink about them he's growing them they look good as well may be ask him about smell so you know what it's like every time you touch them just be careful with mint grows like hell and hard to get rid off only have to leave a bit of root in mate

• Like 2

The solution to the mint (and lavender) spreading I found is this. Get a builder's bucket, cut the bottom out. Dig a hole, bury the bucket in the soil with an inch or two sticking out. Fill with your potting mix, compost, whatever. Plant your mint in the bucket. The roots can't spread out the way but can go deep if they want.

@Crow River  @Baron von greenback     I have used lillies as my go to defence for smell for years now ,   ONLY use the Oriental lily varieties as these have that perfumed stench :yep:

Also Szechuan Pepper plants are another awesome smell defender and can offer some nice frshly milled pepper if your lucky :george:

• Like 2

Just now, OldFord said:

@Crow River  @Baron von greenback     I have used lillies as my go to defence for smell for years now ,   ONLY use the Oriental lily varieties as these have that perfumed stench :yep:

Also Szechuan Pepper plants are another awesome smell defender and can offer some nice frshly milled pepper if your lucky :george:

Funny you should say that, I've just ordered a Szechuan pepper plant! :) 

Lillies for next year...

• Like 1

Was at the poytunnel this evening.

Auto Duck 2 is 46 days old, so about halfway there. She's not huge, but she's grown since I last saw her five days ago. A few more buds are in flower. She's still a bit spindly, probably because the environment is different to when her big sister was at this stage. Tall tomato plants either side are obviously reducing the amount of light she gets, and when she was younger her big sister overshadowed her too. Still, she's getting plenty of light from the south, and I pruned the lower growth on the tomatoes nearby. So hopefully she'll grow a bit more the next few weeks. Looking back, the previous Auto Duck wasn't much bigger at this stage, but was a lot bushier with loads of leaves and still vegging. She had a much stouter main stem too. So we'll see how this girl gets on. I've also managed to nail the humidity issue. Today it was 54% RH, which is fine. Perhaps Auto Duck 2 won't encounter problems with mould like her big sister.

I emptied the bucket that the bigger Auto Duck was in, and wow what a rootball! Reckon she could easily have rooted out a container twice that size. Goodness knows how big she would have got in a 30 litre pot though... :) I recovered the main roots and washed them. I use these for making skin creme. The used soil will be used outside for modifying the heavy clay soil when planting bushes, etc.

Anyway that's it from the polytunnel for now. Pics below.

large.IMG_20220804_194046.jpeglarge.IMG_20220804_194108.jpeglarge.IMG_20220804_194121.jpeglarge.IMG_20220804_195743.jpeg

• Like 3

That's the big Auto Duck trimmed and in jars to cure. While splitting into nugs I spotted a couple of small patches of rot in one large cola. So the affected nugs were binned. Still, despite the loss of nearly half the buds from this girl, it's a decent yield. Filled six jars in total, four medium sized, and two smaller ones. These will now be burped alongside my recent indoor harvest for the next few weeks.

large.DSC01515.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 8

@Clubs, cheers man. It'll be a vape report. :) I'm going to give it a six week cure first, but I will follow up for sure. The second Auto Duck will probably have been harvested by then...

• Like 1

Auto Duck reached 51 days old when I visited the polytunnel. She's 66cm tall, so not a patch on her big sister, yet. A bit more foliage in evidence, and buds starting to get bigger. She got some tomato feed along with my tomatoes.

I took the two youngest Dr Jack "Auto" clones to the polytunnel and popped them on the table. They're just in 1 litre yoghurt pots at the moment. Having been topped recently, I'll wait to see some more growth before maybe potting up to something larger. I'm looking forward to seeing how they get on in this new environment. They should at least get more light, for longer. The bigger Mum plant will be joining them next visit.

large.IMG_20220809_190222.jpeglarge.IMG_20220809_190232.jpeglarge.IMG_20220809_190243.jpeglarge.IMG_20220809_190844.jpeglarge.IMG_20220809_190859.jpeg

• Like 3

Another new arrival this evening at the polytunnel. The original Dr Jack "Auto" has joined two of her clones. She's an incredible 104 days old, and looking a bit the worse for the severe pruning she had before coming here. However new leaf buds have formed and hopefully she'll settle into her new home comfortably. I misted all three plants with peroxide solution, and gave them a soil drench of the same. This was because I was concerned that the leaf spots on all three might be caused by fungus, bacteria, gnats or mites and didn't want anything spreading to other plants in the polytunnel. I'll be repotting the two clones at some point fairly soon, but the new ones won't be huge, to try and keep the girls relatively compact.

Auto Duck 2 is 54 days old. She's looking healthy, but still somewhat spindly. She'll most likely not get as big as her sister, but buds are growing and more foliage appearing too. 

large.IMG_20220812_201126.jpeg

large.IMG_20220812_201148.jpeg

large.IMG_20220812_201134.jpeglarge.IMG_20220812_201140.jpeglarge.IMG_20220812_201207.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3