Polytunnel autoflower

Crow River

Just now, Crow River said:

@OldFord, thanks mate. Hopefully I'll get the humidity better controlled this year. I'm taking @brock1's suggestion on board and will be dumping loads of cat litter on the floor, see if it helps...

Fair play and decent shout on the cat litter :yep:      A fellow grower friend just north of Glasgow runs in a large tunnel and utilises coconut husk ,  in spillage kit format ,  seems to work well and the slime brigade def dont like it !      Seems much cheaper in the spill kit format too , whether it6s a lesser grade im unsure but seen first hand that its effective.   

• Like 2

@OldFord, thanks mate. Hopefully I'll get the humidity better controlled this year. I'm taking @brock1's suggestion on board and will be dumping loads of cat litter on the floor, see if it helps...

Put plastic under it so it doesn't just soak the water up from the ground. If you use the stone cat litter it will help with bigs and slugs as a bonus. :bong:

• Like 1

Just now, OldFord said:

Fair play and decent shout on the cat litter :yep:      A fellow grower friend just north of Glasgow runs in a large tunnel and utilises coconut husk ,  in spillage kit format ,  seems to work well and the slime brigade def dont like it !      Seems much cheaper in the spill kit format too , whether it6s a lesser grade im unsure but seen first hand that its effective.   

That's an interesting one. Potential to re-use as a soil amendment at the end of the season too. Hmmm... :) 

• Like 1

Just now, brock1 said:

Put plastic under it so it doesn't just soak the water up from the ground. If you use the stone cat litter it will help with bigs and slugs as a bonus. :bong:

Good tip! :yep: I'll just be getting whatever's cheapest. Morrison's Saver cat litter only £1.75 for a big bag last time I looked... :) 

• Like 1

That's an interesting one. Potential to re-use as a soil amendment at the end of the season too. Hmmm... :) 

Exactly what he does :yep:      The slime brigade seem to detest it ,  i will use it as a mulch on the pot surfaces when i get to do a decent run next.   

• Like 1

Just now, OldFord said:

Exactly what he does :yep:      The slime brigade seem to detest it ,  i will use it as a mulch on the pot surfaces when i get to do a decent run next.   

Yeah that's a good shout. I mulched my toms with wood shavings last year, helps keep the water in the pots. Will investigate coco husks for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today the seeds for this season's polytunnel grow were planted in soil. Two fems and five regs, all autos. They're in fibre pots in the heated propagator, now it's time to wait for germination...

large.IMG_20230328_154303.jpeglarge.IMG_20230401_163733.jpeg

• Like 6

Go On!!! love it!!!

Boy, I love the enthusiasm but this seems a whole month early to me - however I germinate from the middle of the UK..... You're going to have to be a real weather watcher bro if you're similar....  the move to the poly tunnel is going to be tricky because they will likely get a cold shock. Pray for a May scorcher.

You may also may get them stretching for light early on creating a wispy looker with weak roots. Don't be surprised if you germinate another lot in early May and they actually catch up .... for sure they will produce more.

Best of luck - I'll pull up a chair :yep:

p.s. The Nirvana packet is really cool.

• Like 2

@Machiavellian, I was at the polytunnel a few days ago, the sun was out and the thermometer said 41ºC! With side vents closed. 

It will be up to a week potentially before I have seedlings breaking the surface, then a couple of weeks to establish themselves. That takes us into late April already. Sure there may be some cool nights ahead, but hopefully not as frequent by then. Last year I germinated in early May, and it felt a bit late if I'm honest. I'm aiming to get these autos in the polytunnel late April/early May, so they have a few weeks to settle in before any flowering starts.

• Like 1

I checked on the propagator last night and four wee seedlings have broken the soil. So that's Day 1 for the Auto Bubblelicious, and for two of the five Micron Auto Tao. Judging by the cotyledons, one of the MAT must have been first, as she's the only one fully open. Hopefully the other three will follow soon.

large.IMG_20230405_014712.jpeglarge.IMG_20230405_014721.jpeg

• Like 5

Off to a good start @Crow River.  We've had some really lovely spring weather here last few days , but the nights are still frosty and my greenhouse is'nt heated. I.m absolutly gagging to get some seeds going...

Best of luck :smoke:

• Like 1

Yeah these girls won't be going out for a few weeks yet, maybe around the 20th or later...

Checked again last night and all five of the Micron Auto Tao have broken the soil. 100% germination rate. :) 

Not long now before they head to the polytunnel...

• Like 3